Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/01/24 at 11:53:32 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chinese Linear Power Supply (Read 821 times)
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Chinese Linear Power Supply
05/16/24 at 14:43:05

Many thanks for the member recommendation on this low cost linear power supply. I picked up a 12V variety up to use with my Netgear extender. Very promising 1st listening streaming session this morning via my Modwright modded Cambridge Audio CXN V2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353532995691?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&s...

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Chinese Linear Power Supply
Reply #1 - 05/16/24 at 16:28:21

This would be the upside to buying low cost audio gear that is manufactured with a DC wall wort.  You can transform it from mediocre to fairly damn good with a real linear power supply and while the power supply will often cost as much as the low cost audio component, it gives buyers a way to step into the investment.

Of course, in the world of linear power supplies some are going to be better than others.  When I shop, I look at the overall weight, number of capacitors, and price.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 05/16/24 at 18:19:00

I’m glad it is working out for you. My experience is that in addition to removing all the switching noise from the SMPS they also just work better. The wall wort power supplies typically have just barely enough power to run the device with which they are supplied. Several times I’ve seen “network problems” that were just the cheap power supply not providing enough juice for the switch. The switch was on, but not working reliably. A LPS spec’d for more watts than required eliminates this issue.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/16/24 at 18:28:36

CA James, many thanks. I think some residual noise I attributed to my ZMA was actually coming from my Netgear wallwort. The LPS cleared it right up and system sounds even better.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/11/24 at 11:33:30

I use LPS on my Dac, my USB signal cleaner, and my Mac Mini.  Big believer in these relatively low cost supplies.

Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana Studio, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio/DIY Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, Lii Audio P10 based OB speakers
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/11/24 at 12:29:31

Tom, agree they really clean up the signal path. Now I'm experimenting with a couple different flavors of DC cables from the LPS to the WiFi extender. Who would think that different cable recipes on a DC cable would make a difference?

I current am running a Chinese Viborg 4N soild core silver DC cable in the chain. I have a Ghent Gotham DC cable coming in shortly. It's a star quad configuation of silver coated 6N copper w/ JSSG360 dual-shielding. This seems to be a popular DC cable amongst LPS users on several forums. Should be an interesting comparison.

HK

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/11/24 at 12:39:34

I did upgrade my power cables.  Can’t recall the source but they are much better than the cheesy ones that come with the Chinese LPSs.  Shielded, better wire. Better connectors.  Not sure I hear a difference but the upgrades make me feel better Smiley

Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana Studio, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio/DIY Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, Lii Audio P10 based OB speakers
  IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #7 - 06/11/24 at 14:56:13

Anyone know if there is a benefit to adding an LPS to a router that connects to optical FMC’s then to a streamer with a built-in LPS?

Torii Jr V2 w/ Copper Bypass
Space-Tech Lab STR-104 Super Rectifier
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
SDFB w/Piggy and Silver Slugs
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/11/24 at 14:58:43

No direct experience other than to say that  I've banned all wall warts from my room and I think it made a difference.  A LPS may improve the specific piece of gear its connected to, but walwarts are noisy and that may impact other gear in your room.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #9 - 06/12/24 at 12:10:55

Yes. For me it is much more about removing the noise in the environment that the wallwart generates than the power itself. So the closer to your system the device is the bigger the advantage of a LPS.

IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #10 - 06/12/24 at 15:08:20

Thanks for the advice.  Makes sense they pollute the environment not just the device it’s connected to.  I ordered 1 to replace my modem and router then another for my mesh node near to my  2 channel system network streamer.  My modem and main router are in a separate room from my streamer but I figure why not it can only help.

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Donatella
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 06/25/24 at 02:45:28

I also think  [smiley=10.gif]

WWW   IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #12 - 06/25/24 at 03:23:23

Received my 2 Chinese LPS’s for my router/modem and mesh node.  Very nice quality build and 12 days shipping. $75 each incudes tax and shipping. The more I think about it I’m not sure it was a good decision.  They take up more space and I don’t hear much if any difference.  I do have a Snubway installed which made a definite difference.  I think adding Snubway is much better way to go.  There are multiple switched power supplies and it would be insane to replace them all with different voltages. I have 4 dual LPS’s and have eliminated 7 wall warts.  I still have 3 (voip phone box, phone, ethernet switch) next to my router/modem remote area and 3 on my 2 channel circuit (2- Schumann generators, tv cable wifi box).  Food for thought…
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOKXKBK

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #13 - 06/25/24 at 03:31:28

Quote:
Posted by: Hearafter      Posted on: Today at 19:23:23
...I still have 3 (voip phone box, phone, ethernet switch) next to my router/modem remote area and 3 on my 2 channel circuit (2- Schumann generators, tv cable wifi box).  Food for thought…

JMO but as long as you have more than zero SMPS near your system you're not getting the advantages of the LPS. And it isn't so much the circuit as the physical location. The SMPS are like little transmitters broadcasting EM noise into your system.

IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #14 - 06/25/24 at 03:39:24

Ok that is helpful.  I will need to replace my tv wifi box to be good then.  The rest are away from my main system in another room or on the other side of the room. Thanks

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #15 - 06/25/24 at 19:06:22

CAJames-  Ok so before I buy more LPS’s I did a critical listening test.  I listened with my wireless cable box plugged in and then unplugging it and listening without it.  No  SQ difference that I could detect.  Second learning was my Xfinity main router/modem tower has a special power plug end and I have not been able to connect it to my LPS without cutting and splicing and swapping plug ends.  Really don't want to do that risking  a tiny wiring mistake/short.  Just wanted to share a recommendation to check your component plug ends to avoid the issue I came across.  These results certainly could vary by system and ears.  

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #16 - 06/25/24 at 19:13:22

Quote:
Posted by: Hearafter      Posted on: Today at 11:06:22

...Just wanted to share a recommendation to check your component plug ends to avoid the issue I came across.  These results certainly could vary by system and ears.  

Excellent points. If you are talking about the DC plug you can get a set of adapters like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Connectors-Adapter-Connector-Female/dp/B07CGDPJ...

I've done that for some of my gear.

IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #17 - 06/25/24 at 19:44:35

CAJames-  thanks for the adapter plug end kit suggestion.  Worth a try it is returnable.   Smiley

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #18 - 06/25/24 at 19:49:13

Happy to help . Just make sure the other end matches the connector that came with the LPS.

IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #19 - 06/27/24 at 06:36:43

CAJames- the adapter plug end set arrived today.  The plug I needed has a center core pin and very few of those were in the set.  After trying the few I thought the set didn’t have the one I needed then I noticed one that I could barely see  the center core pin.  And it worked and now my modem/ main router has a LPS.  Not sure if it makes a difference but makes me feel better it has one.  Thanks again! Smiley

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1