06/21/24 at 06:51:40 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cryotone vs WE 300B (Read 170 times)
mk60

Cryotone vs WE 300B
05/17/24 at 14:29:09

I'm wondering if, among people have tried both, there is a strong consensus among owners about whether they prefer the (new production) WE 300B or the Cryotone 300B? In the reviews I've seen, it seems like the edge always goes to the cryotones, which I found surprising given that the amp was designed for the WE.

Would love to hear whether people have any strong or nuanced opinions about this if they've tried both? I have the 300B and they're nice, but at these prices tube rolling and having both sets on hand for comparison gets pretty pricey.

Also, for those that prefer the Cryotones -- did you find the rest of the cryotone tube complement for the SEWE300B essential, or is it really just the cryotone 300B tubes that matter?

Main System: Lumin U2 Mini->Denafrips Pontus II->ZTPRE->[2x SE84UFO25 in Differential Balanced Mono]->Klipsch La Scala AL5 + 2x REL 212/SX
Office System: Naim Uniti Atom->SE34I.5->Zu Dirty Weekend 6 Supreme
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Re: Cryotone vs WE 300B
Reply #1 - 05/20/24 at 20:15:09

Hey mk60,

Since no one else has replied.....might as well throw in my two cents.  

Several weeks ago Steve Deckert said "I am pleased to announce that we have our own 300B tube now. It comes as a result of over a year of testing. It is my pick/favorite sound of my collection. All of the tubes I've been testing are great with the WE300B leading the way followed by the Cryotone, but the WE300B is super transparent and neutral, and the Cyrotone is bold and dynamic. Both are also pricey. I wanted something a bit more laid back with a more addictive midrange and  less expensive. These are my ear candy 300B tubes. They make you want to listen because they have just the right color."  

Steve favors the Western Electric due to its transparency and neutrality.  Interestingly, that's pretty much the way I described the difference between Western Electric 300Bs and Sophia Electric Classic 300Bs a year or so ago.  Both are fantastic tubes, but the WE's transparency very well may place it as the tube to beat among the high dollar 300B contenders.  That's the way I hear it, for what it's worth.  

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print