Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/14/24 at 23:24:53 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What speakers to pair with SE34I.6? (Read 1223 times)
tembrey
Verified Member

What speakers to pair with SE34I.6?
05/19/24 at 22:57:49

Hi,
Somewhat new to the Hi-Fi world, but recently put in an order for the Zen Triode Amplifier (model SE34I.6). After perusing these forums for a bit, it seems there is a general agreement that these pair well with Omega speakers.

I am eyeing a set of used Dahlquist DQ-20i speakers. The consensus on those speakers is that while they sound great, they need a lot of power (preferably 100 Wpc).

My questions is: can the SE34I.6 provide enough power to them?

Thanks

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: What speakers to pair with SE34I.6?
Reply #1 - 05/19/24 at 23:04:34

Quote:
Posted by: tembrey      Posted on: Today at 14:57:49
Hi,
Somewhat new to the Hi-Fi world, but recently put in an order for the Zen Triode Amplifier (model SE34I.6). After perusing these forums for a bit, it seems there is a general agreement that these pair well with Omega speakers...

Everything you hear is true re: Decware amps and Omega speakers. If it were me, esp. if I were "somewhat new to the Hi-Fi world" I'd get a pair of Omegas, or Decware speakers from this site. Then there will be no question you'll get great results. But JMO/FWIW/YMMV and all that.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
STR-1002 -> Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 05/19/24 at 23:06:07

Not having any direct experience with the speakers my guess is probably not. Perhaps if you are sitting near field in a small room and aren't planning on "rocking out." I hope others with direct experience or a more informed opinion can weigh in.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/19/24 at 23:26:27

At 86dB these speakers are known for being power hungry. I'd call and set up an appointment to talk with Steve Deckert if your dead set on the Dahlquist DQ-20i.

Personally I'd opt for a speaker with a higher sensitivity. Decware offers a lot of great options to consider.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart & Modwright PH 9.0XT phono preamp OR MWI modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th A preamp > ZMA-25th A amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > SDFB's > SRA & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/20/24 at 00:07:50

I had several different Dahlquist speakers 20 years ago or so. They really liked high power amps like McIntosh and Bryston. I can’t say I’ve had any experience pairing them with Decware but what Decware does isn’t the same as what the Dahlquist does.

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/20/24 at 16:32:00

My Decware Rachael amp drives my 93dB Decware ERRx speakers in my 40x30 loft space quite easily.

Zu, Klipsh, Omega, Decware all work really well.
Since you just ordered, there is .plenty of time to find a nice set of any of those used.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
Zu Audio DWX Supreme
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables, Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e, Z
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/20/24 at 18:08:34

As suggested, so many variables... room size can be huge...listening tastes.... how loud the particular speakers have to be to really load the room for optimal sound and soundstage....how the room's reflections, etc, effect balances for better or worse ... how strong transients are, a faster more dynamic system will have stronger dynamic contrasts so a lower average volume to limit transient distortion... how equally weighted speaker efficiency measurements are.... how clean or dull the system/room is... etc

My space is pretty spread out in how it rambles with big openings from space to space off the main area. Maybe similar in total volume as Tommy's, but guessing a little smaller, and with a fair bit of irregularity in how that volume is organized. I have two 22-25 watt amps, a Torii IV and a 300B/845, and with my 92-92.5 dB HR-1s, I was good most of the time, and good for the most part for my loudest, late night listening sessions when I really wanted the room to load fully and drop me into immersion... But that put me on an edge that was very close. To be sure, I had to base the volume on known transients in a few tunes on the test list, having a peak or two that audibly distorted when just a touch too high on the knob.... Even if only a few times in a play list... I really got sick of that limitation.

To be clearer, these test list transients generally sound slightly distorted at lower volumes, so began with recordings....but.... now, with speakers rated at ±97 dB, I hear these slight recorded distortions, but not distortions from overdriving the system...I have not measured with these speakers, but with the less efficient but highly tuned up and resolving/balanced HR-1s, as I recall, loud listening was roughly 70-80 dB averages (A weighted) with transients in the low 80s to low 90s, usually not getting out of the 80s. Now I probably play a few dB louder in those late night sessions, and no more edge.

Not that this would be the case for others in other rooms... just another experience. But I do I tend to think that it is a little too easy for us audio seekers to love things enough to allow overlooking limitations, and guess some low power lovers find less loud than perhaps hoped can be fine overall... And if so, this is probably good, easier on the ears. It took me years to change here, but now that I did, I realize just how much I personally would rather have extra headroom for my setup than not enough for all listening preferences.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/20/24 at 18:52:20

I forgot to mention that my system is more on the edge with multiple pre-stages, all quite fast and resolving... presumably each pushing the next a little harder...and by the time the signal hits the amp, it is dense and fast... amped up! In the past when I have taken most of them out, I could get louder without distortions... at those times the HR-1s with these amps were further from the edge... Also, these are tuned up stages, tuned for what I feel like are optimal sound balances based in their mostly Decware heritage... but taken further, tuned individually, and complimenting the system with refined speeds, resolution, and some smooth sweetness, they tend to compliment each transparently, and each with their own contributions.

At the same time, I always like it with say just the ZBIT, or just the ZBIT and CSP3. But so far, once I put the lot back in and get things tube and gain tuned for the room, I always like how each stage supports the complexity of the whole... Also, for gain tuning to fine tune different recording styles there are a lot of possibilities.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/23/24 at 16:05:01

We have our zen UFO hooked up to a 1996 pair of Klipsch ChorusII speakers. 101 db 'rated' and they will seriously run your butt right out of the room. Gorgeous sounding...to US. We do not turn all the way up. NOT necessary at all!  Usually 3/4 is it for us when 'cranked'.  This is the big brother to the ForteII speaker. The other set we have had (still do/stored in box) are a pair of HeresyII's. Had those since the 80's. Just mentioning as another option of so many.....   Take care~ Mike

IP Logged
1stwattlife
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/23/24 at 17:22:09

I have some slight, indirect experience on the subject as a friend is running Decware on DQ10's, but is running the ZMA.  It sounds great, but that amp is also more powerful and push/pull. Not quite the same beast. I was just about to do a test on my DQM-5's on the Zen amps this weekend, they are 89db. Not quite the 86 db 'real world' testing they report on these but real close... I can keep you posted. I am super curious about the Integrated with lower sensitivity speakers as well.

...in fact, if it would help you, I could bring them to the shop and run them on an SE34I.5/6. You would have to rely on my opinion I guess, but I don't need to sugar coat anything, so... Just let me know!

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/24/24 at 00:52:22

As an owner of the DQ-12s  it will defiantly power them but it's not going to play very loud.  Like the DQ-12s the DQ-20Is are bi-ampable and pairing the bottom speaker with a more powerful amp would probably be a much more satisfactory experience.  I used two Dynaco ST70s to power the 12s and they sounded pretty good but still needed a sub.

If you could find a suitable more powerful amp for the bottom and realized the limitations of running  fairly inefficient speakers with a low power amp the sound you could get would be very enjoyable.  DQ-20is are great sounding speaker.  An easier path would be a more efficient open baffle speaker that would give you a similar presentation with leas hassle.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
tembrey
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 05/25/24 at 00:42:53

Thanks all for your input/opinions. All very helpful. It seems like many options/setups are viable. @Dana, are any of the recommended speakers (Klipsch, Zu, Omega) open baffle speakers? I realize I could look this up but there’s a lot of knowledgeable people here who might know the answer right away. If not, what are some open baffle speakers you can recommend? Someone else recommended getting speakers with a higher sensitivity than the Dahlquist Dq-20is—what is considered higher (i.e anything in the 90db range?).

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #12 - 05/25/24 at 03:43:14

You can look at the speaker page on this site for open baffle options, and a lot of high sensitivity speakers in general.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
STR-1002 -> Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Yakatak
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 05/25/24 at 06:29:35

ZStage, SE341.5, and Klipsch Heritage lV's, will get the neighbors on the phone.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/25/24 at 08:28:56

At his point it's really about how much you want to spend.  There is a reason the Dahlquist speakers are so revered.  On craigslist in Seattle used DQ-20is run about $500 to $650 and if you keep watching the Decware forums the Caintuck open baffles come up all the time in that price range.  If you are really interested you should reach out to Randy at Caintuck.
https://www.caintuckaudio.com/

The has forgotten more about speakers than I would ever know and on top of that he's a pretty nice guy.  

The other option for open baffle is the DIY route.  One of my favorite sites is the HIFI Cave guy.  He's also a big Decware fan and his home built speakers use the same drivers that Randy and Steve use to build their speakers.  Here's a link to how easy it is to build.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4u0mmZdEWQ

Good luck and try to remember that the journey is the fun part.

Cheers

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Waukman1
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 05/25/24 at 16:28:03

I've been very happy driving a pair of Decware DNA speakers I built 6 years ago. They are apparently ~93 dB sensitive and easily fill my 15' x 21' room with music. I listen primarily to acoustic bluegrass & jazz music and rarely exceed 90 dB peaks in volume. For a 5" driver the DNA's do a nice job and I particularly like the size of them.

More recently I built a pair of open baffle speakers using Audio Nirvana Classic 12" Alnico drivers. These are more sensitive than the DNA's (~97 dB) and the jury is out which I prefer. I tend to alternate them every so often. The drivers are mounted in a low baffle similar to the Caintuck Betsy speakers on the Decware website.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print