Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/17/24 at 15:21:12 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why do rectifiers blow? (Read 357 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Why do rectifiers blow?
05/23/24 at 18:55:38

Quote:
hey Team, I am the second owner of a Model SE84C+ that has sounded wonderful with my klipsch lascala and vpi front end. i was running the orginal tubes but due to a channel taking a while to warm up, i replaced the input and power tubes leaving the original rectifier tube. this past week that tube died. then i put in an RCA 5Y3GT then that tube blew in a few days yet sounded stunning untill that moment. im nervious to throw another tube at this amp at the moment till i can have the pin voltage checked. do you have a recommended voltage or amps or any measurement from each pin of the rectifier tube so i know if i need to mail in for service or it's just a run of tubes that were bad. thank you for all an any help your able to give on this project.

There is nothing wrong with the amplifier, transformers don't change voltage.  You have to remember that today's N.O.S. tubes are yesterdays rejects.  They are 50 to 70 years old and have been moved around hundreds of times in most cases as they trade ownership.  It is not uncommon for a fair percentage of them to fail for no reason.  New production rectifiers today only have about a 500 hour life rating, and most are made in China so again it is not uncommon for these rectifiers to also fail.  This is a reality of owning a tube rectified amplifier in today's world.   We all put up with it for the sound.  Get yourself some new rectifiers, perhaps move up to a more sturdy 5U4G.  Get more than one.

WWW   IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Re: Why do rectifiers blow?
Reply #1 - 09/04/24 at 16:28:28

We now own several rectifiers. DONE!
1941 RCA 5Y3G NOS in it's original rusted staples box. I opened carefully! Love that particular box too!
1957 RCA 5R4GY brown base NOS in original JAN box
1951 Zenith 5U4G (National Union) bottom getter NOS   *Among favorite
1953 RCA 5U4G top getter NOS                *Also a favorite
1959 (5U4G) Svetlana Black plate NOS    US/Ukraine seller.
1966 (5U4G) Svetlana Black plate NOS   Ukraine seller

All of these tubes spent some time in the Decware and all of them worked beautifully. None of them were expensive. A huge plus 'these days'...  [smiley=icqlite20.png]
Ask questions to the sellers before purchase or bid.. Insure that their feedback is as good as it gets! Returns in tact too. Inspect the tube well before using. The bases were tight, pins straight and obviously not USED in and out of equipment. The glass as new etc.
Have spare handy!
Still playing our Zen since January this year VERY often. This last weak or so daily. Heavy forest fire smoke as is life in the mountains. Such an amazing amplifier!  [smiley=beer.gif]
All the best~          
_05A0522-3.jpg  

_05A0522-3.jpg
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/05/24 at 12:57:54

I’m with you Mike, my UFO was delivered this time two years ago. I took the advice of Steve and other Decwarians and have a nice rectifier cache and none cost more than 50 bucks. Several 80’s that were about 15 bucks. Only lost one of the 80’s in this time and original that came with amp. Love this amp, comes on every morning about 6am…..

Randall

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i and PSU, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/11/24 at 15:16:19

Hey there Randall. Yup! love this amp!

Same as costs for ours too. Like you said, very reasonable- all at 40 or under. Not a single problem with any of the ones listed. Two Chinese manufactured ones though not listed in my post.....no go. I will not purchase one. Ever~

Hope all is good with you and yours. The only minus right now right here, is the typical lightning, forest fire starts. And then we find out that arson is on the upswing as well. Two forest fires a bit north of us deemed arson now. I spoke to the not so local news station about that last year. Last night, the topic was within the first 5 minutes of the news broadcast. First time we've ever seen 'news' speak of it. But, generally our tv is OFF these days too.
I am well aware to the whys from long ago....but ....here we are.

Well, back inside today (heavy smoke) so music is on the radar..

Good to hear from you- All the best  [smiley=icqlite20.png] ~           Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print