Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/16/24 at 10:27:41 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Klipsche La Scala or K-Horn (Read 419 times)
KenH
Verified Member

Klipsche La Scala or K-Horn
05/23/24 at 22:34:08

Hi, anyone has experience on which Decware amp go well with the horns?

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Re: Klipsche La Scala or K-Horn
Reply #1 - 05/23/24 at 23:55:42

I'm running the SE84UFO with corner horns in a really big room.  The speakers are approx 18 feet apart with the back wall almost 30ft away with 9ft ceilings.  I can easily hit 87 DB from my listening position with no discernible distortion.  I've compared it to a 100 WATT Luxman AB SS amp and a 40 Watt Dynaco ST 70.  Each amp has a completely different presentation but in the end the little Decware just brings me more pleasure with its' imaging and ability to sound so real.  I do have a disclaimer that I'm running two inexpensive subwoofers crossed over as low as I can get them to just supply a little more bottom and fun factor to the sound.
What I can say is my setup really exposes the quality of the source.  I'm running a PSAudio Mark 1 DAC and currently using a fanless PC running a soft ware called AllbumPlayer as my streaming source.  This software will output flac files as DSD which when it works (which is most of the time...) makes the system crazy good.  I've been on a streamer journey kinda.  The PI2AES hat on a Raspberry PI was my go to streamer for a long time but the AlbumPlayer software surpassed it.
As far as music I'm all over the board but my main focus is female vocals and acoustic music.  If the amp has a failing,  playing rock it's just a little too polite.  It's not bad just that the presentation is optimized for a more laid back sound which is what I'm looking for in the music I listen to.  The SE84UFO does have bios and impedance switches that change the presentation and I haven't played with them for when I want to rock out but It could help.
Overall I'm very happy with the amp.  Do I want more power than 2 watts?  Of course I do.  Is it necessary?  I'm not convinced a more powerful amp would make it that much better, it would depend on the amp.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
thevinoman

Re: Klipsch La Scala or K-Horn
Reply #2 - 05/24/24 at 12:33:12

Highly recommend you get a "Rachel"....34I.6.  I am running La Scalas right now, and it sounds terrific, even though it is not yet broken in....I also have Khorns, but haven't yet moved the amp.  I'm sure it's great.

IP Logged
KenH
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 05/24/24 at 23:05:07

Thanks Dana / thevinoman for sharing.
Just moved to new space and look to get a new simple audio only setup.  
givens
- past my tinkering days and just want to enjoy music with no fussing
- 15000 ft^3 large concrete coffine shaped room (60x16x16 lwh)
- mostly vocal, classical and some rock
was thinking horns and tubes might be a good fit for my needes although poor accoustics and room modes remain main challenges.

looking at NAD M66 w a lot of interesting feature including live room correction with 4 sub outs - not for more bass but flex to manage room

not sure if M66 will work well with tube amp.  NAD designed it for their SS M23 amp.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/24/24 at 23:36:20

Hey Ken,
Your welcome

I've gone thru a lot of stuff over the years and to me tubes and horns are the way to go and should have no problem filling your space.  I live near Seattle and see corner horns for sale on craigslist all the time in prices ranging from $500 on up (some are like mine Speaker Lab's). When I bought mine I had every intention of doing the Volti corner horn upgrades but it sounded great without it so after several years I still haven't upgraded even though I keep looking at them. If you really want simple a low power integrated amp, corner horns some rugs and curtains should sound pretty darn good in a space as big as yours.   Room correction is a fun endeavor but while not really hard it does complicate things a bit.  
Good luck and keep us up to date on your journey.  I learn so much just reading how everybody else does it.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Joey

Reply #5 - 05/27/24 at 15:36:22

I would recommend the Sara 300B. I use the Aric audio 300 with my LaScala's and have compared it with my SE84UFO. It seems that the 300B is just made for horns. Both sound good but you cannot go wrong with the 300.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print