Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/08/24 at 22:32:20 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My Audio Journey Evolution, The Final Stage. (Read 4106 times)
red pill sanctuary

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Re: My Audio Journey Evolution, The Final Stage.
Reply #100 - 06/26/24 at 19:03:13

So today is a no go for roofing. The rain has been relentless and is expected to continue through tonight.  So I shall post some more images here now while I have the time.

We left off with the window modifications. I shall pick up with that now.

Here is the backside of a window cover showing the airtight seal which goes against the full frame. Because of the size and weight of these panels, I had to do this in two sections to make them manageable.

That pretty much "covers" up the side window. As you can see, it is very easy and quick to remove these covers. Whether it be just needing some fresh air, or an emergency egress, this system allows for both when needed. If ever reverted back to a normal window frame, just remove the threaded posts and install regular window curtains. This window however, is far better sealed and airtight than it was before.  A great deal of external sound came through these original window frames. Now, only the loudest of sounds can be heard, but at such a reduced level, it is easy to ignore. I don't get that much noise around here anyway, so not really a problem. At night, it is really quiet around here.  Just after midnight when the Amazon fleet of 767's fly overhead to unload cargo at the airport does that noise level pick up. Even that is low enough that even normal listening levels are not hampered.

I will go over the modification detail with the front window facing the street next.

Professional Studio Grade Acoustic Transformation.
  IP Logged
red pill sanctuary

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #101 - 06/26/24 at 21:36:16

Looking at the front window frame being installed, it is obvious how much thicker the walls are now, as the additional layer of drywall extends beyond the original window sill plate seen as an indentation along the bottom of the window. This gets covered up with the outside framing.

The blue painter's tape is used to locate the exact centers of the wall studs.

All gaps and cracks are filled with acoustic sealant. Sealant is always applied to joining framework and the wall and again at all joints after installation.

The noise floor for this room is very black now with these window covers installed. There is an extreme calmness to this room which can be a bit erie after sitting in complete silence for a good amount of time. Something has to be really loud with low frequency rumble such as a trash truck before you actually hear anything from outside. Of course, a low flying jet or thunder are expected to be heard, but not nearly as loud as before. These are the exceptions that rarely cause any concern. I don't hear kids screaming, or annoying lawnmowers and leaf blowers constantly running.

Smiley

Smiley

The best way to check these windows for air leaks is simple. If light penetrates anywhere around or through this window mod, then it is not airtight. That would mean a very limited degree of sound suppression as compared to being air tight.  To check, make sure the sun is bright against the window, the sun rises to this side of the house. Mid-mornings are ideal for this light source. Turn out all of the interior room lights. The room should be pitch black with the full sun shining against the window. Any stray segments of light are indications of failure.

It is time for installing the flooring now. Soon it will be time to focus upon the acoustic control devices now that the room itself is a good enough platform for which to treat properly.

IP Logged
red pill sanctuary

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #102 - 06/27/24 at 03:48:00

The floor is carefully examined for any remaining staples after the carpet and padding was removed.  All nails must be flush before the underlayment is laid down.  The seams are sealed, and covered with heavy duty tape.

The laminate flooring is very thick at 12 mm. Along with the Quiet Walk under-layment, this flooring provides a nice sound barrier while providing a hard reflective surface which is ideal for this room. The goal is to not over-saturate the room with carpet which is more detrimental to the sound of the room than having a reflective surface.  Carpet only destroys higher frequencies which we absolutely want to preserve. If you want to maintain a live vibrant space, this is the way to do it. The focus needs to be on the ceiling and all four walls to combat against reflections, and standing waves.

We know that standing waves are created by the buildup of nodes and anti nodes dispersed around the room. Destructive interference creates nodes, while Constructive interference is responsible for the buildup of anti-nodes. When two waves traveling in opposite directions collide, the result is anti-phase cancellation.  This is why low frequency absorption is so critical to bring this problem under control. The lower the frequency, the more difficult to control. As the frequency gets lower, so does the length of the sound wave.  These problematic waves require bass absorbers that are either extremely deep and large in size, or by means of mechanical function such as diaphragmatic units which reduce these waves with heat and dissipation.

So you see, that thin carpet is going to have absolutely zero effect upon the lower frequencies that need to be controlled. Let the massive bass absorbers do that job. Even the most massive units are limited in how much they reduce standing waves.  It should be clear by now as to why it is not a good idea to have carpet and padding on the floor.  The large reflective surface maintained by the flooring provides you with the ability to fine tune the rooms balance between the low end, and the high end of the frequency spectrum. If you lose that control, the room will simply be dead, and far from what you desire in an audio room.

This practice of balance is extremely delicate to deal with.  This is why binary diffusion/absorption principles work so very well within a room this size. It is really a 50/50 balancing act that keeps things in perspective. Unless you have at least ten feet between you and a quadratic diffuser, this type of diffusion is not a good choice compared to the binary and ternary alternatives. They work with distances as short as three feet from the listening position. Now you see why they are the ultimate choice for a small room. Once you listen in a room treated this way, you will quickly understand once it is experienced.

There needs to be huge amounts of absorption within the room to counter and balance this effect. The trick is to provide this degree of absorption without creating a dead environment. There already exists the possibility of using so much absorption that the end result creates a dead room which is as bad as an overly reverberate room. There has to be a certain degree of reflective surface to keep things in check. Unless the absorptive material has the ability to slow down low frequencies, it is best left out of the room.

Perhaps it's use for random spot treatment might be desirable, but then again, maybe not at all necessary. Use the floor to walk on, and take care of everything else with corrective measures. What you do to the ceiling and walls are what matters the most.

I'm telling you from firsthand experience. I can assure you that this is a good rule to go by, one that won't disappoint you. The end results I am getting with this room are far better than what anyone would imagine for a room this size. Your ears are very good detectors of this fact. I am extremely satisfied with the acoustic signature of this room, leaving nothing in question.  This of course is the same room that before any modifications were done, was a space that was unbearable to use as a music room.  This room was horrible before I transformed it. Everything sounded bad and I could not listen to music in here. Now, that is completely the opposite situation.

This is a floating floor which has no mechanical fasteners what so ever. This is why this type of flooring requires a minimal space around the perimeter to compensate for movement.

This is the modified air return intake for the room. This leads through a hush box hidden between the dual leaf walls and sealed to the floor where the original intake was located.

It is time to start building the acoustic control devices for this room. I shall start with the ceiling.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #103 - 06/28/24 at 10:41:54

I like your solution for sound window treatments. The only window in the charoit is small and made up with glass block which provides a very good sound barrier.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
red pill sanctuary

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #104 - 07/05/24 at 04:07:08

Hey JB,

Thanks. Yes, this system does work very effectively, and it is simple to create at a very low cost factor. The really good thing about it is that it is completely reversible for regular window dressings if desired.

Most common noise is during the daytime anyway. After 8:00 PM, it is very quiet in this area. Just the occasional freight train in the distance and Amazon flying overhead between midnight and 2:00 AM. After these Boeing 767 freighters pass over my house, they are on approach to the runway just 8 miles away from here.  I hear them flyover, but the level of noise is acceptable when they do, roughly a third of what the noise level would be without the window covers. I find that to be very good for my needs.  Actually, I think about half of what I do hear is coming through the roof above the room.

Now for studio purposes, that would still be a problem. I for one usually am going to bed by this time, so no problem at all for me.

Even so, when I am sending a good flow of juice from my ToriMK3 to my speakers, I can assure you, I am totally oblivious to any of this while listening to music anyway.

All is good.

Smiley

IP Logged
red pill sanctuary

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #105 - 07/05/24 at 06:31:42

Now that I have a little time, I shall continue where I left off with the beginning stages of acoustic treatment for this room. I am going to start with the ceiling and get that out of the way first. What I am presenting to you with the next series of images is the build and installation of my large scale hanging binary diffuser/absorber panels. I will also use one of these panels on the back wall behind my listening position. That unit gets mounted on top of the huge ternary diffuser/absorber which sits on the floor. I shall cover that design later on.

These binary panels are inherent to partial absorption while providing total dispersion of reflective sound which does not get absorbed.This binary system utilizes a complex order of absorptive and reflective areas, resulting in pressure reflection coefficients within a nominal 0 and 1, therefore  creating a variable impedance surface.  

The end result is a balance of sound absorption across the Noise Reduction Coefficient frequency bandwidth. *(The basic definition of this NRC bandwidth refers to the absorption average within the four areas of 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, and 2000 Hz : The average effect of sound energy as it is absorbed within a surface area is implied).

This design provides an excellent degree of sound absorption, while maintaining the critical embodiment of sustained spatial ambience by means of high frequency diffusion. The real advantage of having this type of system in a small room is the very short distance it takes to complete a full cycle of effective diffusion as compared to the quadratic principles of diffusion.

Again, the use of quadratic diffusers are of little use for a room this size. Unless the ceiling height is at least 12 ft, I would not expect them to be effective for my situation concerning ceiling treatment. I can expect much greater effectiveness using the binary panel design when implemented properly. Don't get me wrong, quadratic diffusers are great at what they are designed to do within rooms which have the required space for these to work properly.  I have built many large scale quadratic diffusion systems in the past. I have a good deal of experience experimenting with them and I can confirm that they work very well in a large space.

Here is some of the data provided to show the performance of the EXPO panel for which my panels are cloned from. This should give good insight as to how effective my panels actually are in my situation.

As shown, this shows the results for using 2 inch depth of 6lb/ft3 fiberglass as the absorbent layer.

What I am using is a total of four layers x 1.8 inches thick of Ultra Touch Denim absorbent material for a total of 7.2 inches depth within my binary panels. So by comparison, when you see the huge effectiveness at 3 inches, and then improved with 5 inches depth, you can determine the overall performance of my units using over 7 inches of this material.  I think this data is all that one needs to know in order to prove that these designs work very well.

This just provides some insight as to the dramatic difference in which the choice of absorbent materials, the density, along with the total depth can make in the end result.  Of course, do not forget the importance of airspace between these units and the ceiling or wall surface.  This factor makes a huge difference in absorption efficiency.  As I showed you the comparison previously between ROXUL and fiberglass, you saw the importance of airflow resistivity as it is factored within the design parameters of these sound absorbers. There are many choices. There is the right choice for the right application. You have to determine which choice is best suited for your application.

Now that you are informed with the facts of how these designs work, and why they are best suited for my application, you can better understand my reasoning for choosing this design as my primary diffusion principal for a room this size. I am extremely satisfied with the results. What these have done to transform my audio space is simply remarkable!

With that said, it is time to proceed with the build. I shall return shortly.

IP Logged
red pill sanctuary

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #106 - 07/05/24 at 18:03:19

Schroeder presented a folding technique referred to as the Chinese Remainder Theorem. This technique was applied to phase grating diffusers based on poly-phase sequences.

This same technique became the basis for a binary hybrid diffuser.  A 1d sequence is folded into a 2D array in order to provide a hemispherical dimension with the ability to preserve critical auto-covariance properties within the design.

This is a base one dimensional sequence for a binary diffuser. This sequence is then converted into a more complex two dimensional array for which my panels are based on.

This became the final result of that folding sequence which expanded the simple one dimensional model into the complex 2d model. The pattern shown is one full 2d sequence in this hybrid binary design.

According to the patent information, the following graph shows the performance curves for comparing the binary, ternary, & quadra-phase diffusers utilizing a BEM model to obtain the predicted absorption coefficients for each type of diffusive surface. These are prediction estimates.

The actual absorption material used for these diffuser models regulates the effect of absorption gained within the low frequency response for each.

The high frequency absorption coefficient is a factor determined by the open area of essentially 0.5.  This design follows the characteristics of a perforated resonant absorber. The peak absorption rate falls within the mid frequency bands.

There is similarity of the scattering produced between the unipolar binary and ternary diffusers based at even multiples. However, at odd multiples, the ternary diffuser provides improved scattering with a greater reduction of specular lobing.

Showing this three dimensional grid view of the finished layout, this provides a very good perception of how this complex code looks visually. You can see the developing pattern over the broad spectrum. The individual squares are the culmination of repetitive inversion and rotation tactics with the base sequence.      

Another view of this from a different perspective.

IP Logged
red pill sanctuary

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #107 - 07/05/24 at 20:49:27

To get started drilling up these panels if d.i.y., stack the amount of 1/2 inch panels ( MDF or plywood ) together and secure with pilot holes through each of the four corners. Then drill up to the size of retaining bolts used to keep these panels securely together for the entire time they are being drilled. These must also be secured around the perimeter with clamps to keep the layers from expanding with the pressure of the drill bit as it passes through the stack. Once that happens, debris works its way between the rise in the sheets causing miss-drilled alignment and blow out between the holes. Once that happens, you need to start over again with new material. You certainly don't want to drill each of these panels independently, or you just may take five years doing it.  The best solution here is to have a local CNC shop do this for you if possible. The results will be quick and perfect, and you won't have to do this by hand. I think four to five 1/2 inch panels are going to be the limit for what you can drill by hand simultaneously.

Just remember this, the bottom sheet is going to be sacrificial due to excessive blow out caused by the drill bit plunging through without something flat against it.  I did not want my table full of holes, so the bottom sheet was placed on riser blocks for an airspace underneath the stack. Simply means that your bottom sheet is not usable and will be discarded.  If done on a machine, this would be avoided. When these panels are drilled out, the end result will be fifty percent of the panel area removed due to the material drilled out. These panels are based upon a 50/50 absorption/diffusion rule. The holes of course represent the absorption factor, which by the inherit design of this hybrid model, also works to create the balance of diffusion by doing so.

As seen, this stack of panels is well advanced through the drilling stage. Just showing you the stack set up from the side perspective using clamps to keep the panels from rising under pressure. This is extremely critical that you monitor this process. A mistake here would be devastating. I guarantee you this will ruin your day, and then some!

I have three words to describe whether or not you will be successful in completing this task without failure: (DISCIPLINE + PATIENCE + ACCURACY)

This process of drilling is done in several steps.  To try and skip these steps would be foolish and unprofessional.

First, the accuracy of the layout must be as perfect as possible. Whatever mistake happens with the top sheet continues through the entire stack. These holes are very close together. In order not to have conjoined holes or a weakened structure due to lack of webbing between the holes, the centering of these initial pilot holes must be the proper distance from each other.  Just as importantly, these holes must be maintained perfectly straight from the top to the bottom. There can be no deviation and there is very little room for error.

This of course requires the use of a drilling platform which can be repetitively used with perfect accuracy each and every time you drill a hole.  Another good reason for using a CNC machine.  The option I took was to create my own drilling platform which is completely mobile, accurate, and easy to place in any position.  I built a drilling rig out of spare parts from a torn down microwave and some other odds and ends I had laying around. The end result was a fabrication which no tool on the market can compare with, especially when this rig cost me nothing extra to assemble.  Just make sure that a heavy duty high quality drill is used along with very high quality bits such as titanium coated that will last without dulling easily.

Second, after the layout is completed and checked for accuracy, it is time to indent each and every drill location for the drill bit to catch and remain stable without drifting from center.

Third, each and every drill location must be drilled with a pilot hole much smaller than the actual diameter of the finished hole. This allows the final drilling process to execute flawlessly without fear of being off center. The bit will find its way every time without fail. The end result will be far less tear out and drift.  Your holes will be much cleaner and visually pleasing.  This process takes a great deal of time to complete by hand.  If time is an issue, then you better get a shop to do it for you.

Fourth, step up to the final drill bit size and slowly bore the holes being careful not to over stress the MDF which will lead to lifting between the material and imminent failure.

There will be a huge amount of debris from the drilling. It is advisable to have a shop vac with a dust collection system to keep the MDF dust to a minimum. Half of this material will end up as waste. After drilling so many holes, stop and vacuum up the debris from the holes and area in general. You will also need an orbital sander to keep the surface flat and smooth for the drilling rig base to glide over. If you place the bottom of the base over a drilled area that has not been sanded smooth, you guessed it, this will cause the drill bit path to wander off center and destroy your panels. That amount which is off in the first panel goes up exponentially by the time the drill bit passes through the last panel. Ends up being quite a bit of deviation. This is simply not acceptable.

YOU CANNOT ATTEMPT THIS BY DRILLING FREEHAND. THIS SIMPLY WILL NOT WORK!

In my case, I had to drill 11,625 holes with the drilling rig.  For three sheets of material, or three binary panels, that would be a grand total of 34,875 holes!

DO I NEED TO STRESS THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS ANY FURTHER?  I think the point is obvious and clear.

BTW, I only had to replace the titanium drill bit once, and that was after 80 percent completion. The replacement bit is still in use and very sharp. It pays to use high quality tools.

Smiley

IP Logged
red pill sanctuary

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #108 - 07/05/24 at 21:35:48

View of shop VAC routed through a dust collection system.

Don't forget the orbital sander.

View looking down over my custom d.i.y. drilling rig made from spare parts and material.

A rear view of the drilling rig.

This platform is extremely stable and solid. The drilling accuracy is dead on every time. The spring loaded glide rail system works very smoothly and with great ease.

The design of this platform which I created is very easy to use repetitively. It takes very little effort to operate this drilling rig as you don't have the weight of the drill causing fatigue in your hand. You will always drill straight perfect holes without worry.

It is paramount that you set up the accuracy of your drill very carefully. It is a good idea to occasional spot check the position of the bit and never assume anything.

You are set to get started.    HAPPY DRILLING!

Smiley

IP Logged
red pill sanctuary

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #109 - 07/05/24 at 22:48:28

How's that drilling coming along?

Grin

The day that you finally make it to the last hole to drill, you can separate the panels and rejoice at what you have.  Just sand everything smooth and vacuum up the mess.  Now was that so hard?

Smiley

This panel can be made as one 2d grid as shown here in base form. It may be easier for you to construct these as single panels. This would give you more flexibility in where and how to install them. Of course, these can be rotated and inverted anyway you like to achieve the resulting pattern you desire. The main objective is to do this in a sensible approach in which to keep repetitive lobing at a minimum.  For tighter areas that need spot treatment, this is ideal.  Of course these can be expanded as large as you desire as time allows you to construct more. I required full scale panels, so yes, I had to do it the hard way.  Like I said before, nothing is worthwhile without the effort and determination. You get exactly what you put into it. If you build what I have shown you here, you will be rewarded immensely beyond your expectations.

The audio room is located just above this shop.

The grid array encompasses a 35 x 34 2d layout pattern. The requirements for this design call out for 1/2 inch squares which populate the grid with the 1's and 0's in binary fashion.  The drill bit must be smaller than a 1/2 inch for obvious reasons. But you want the hole as large as it can reasonably be, yet not weaken the webbing around the holes. If you don't maintain structural stability, you will end up with a useless panel.

It is time to move on now to the next stage, building the framework and suspension system for hanging these units from the ceiling.

IP Logged
red pill sanctuary

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #110 - 07/06/24 at 02:27:05

A look at the required mounting hardware for suspending this full scale absorber/diffuser module from the ceiling.

There will be six attachment points with a load rating of 100 pounds for each connection point. That is a total of 600 pounds holding power. This unit when stuffed with four layers of Ultra Touch Denim insulation will weigh in at around 85 to 90 pounds. So you see, the strength of the suspension system is far greater than the actual load. The hooks are tightly embedded into the ceiling joists which go into the attic above the audio room. They are threaded deeply within hardwood. There is absolutely zero chance they will break loose or have any undue stress at all.  To top that off for extra measure, each and every connection point has a fail safe design where there is a primary and a secondary steel connector holding it very securely. Even if any did fail, there are 5 more with 5 more back-up points to keep things safe.  These have been suspended in my room now for several years.  They have not fallen on my head yet!

Smiley

You see the clearance that I maintained under the cross support bar which is bolted directly to the binary panel to prevent bowing under weight. This allows for several layers of the denim insulation to fit snugly underneath the bar.  Once the unit is hung, there will be another layer of absorbent material placed across the top.

The chain links fit nicely around the mounting screw. They will not slip off, but they do have enough slack to swivel easily. These screws are heavy duty and they penetrate completely through the center bar.

Here you can see the mounting configuration which details the double hook safety backup. These attach points are connected to two critical anchor points and act as a backup to each other in case one fails for some very unlikely reason. The integrity of this setup is way overbuilt to withstand much higher levels of force. This will never be a safety issue.

Now that the hardware is all installed and this unit is ready to be hung in place, the last thing to do is layer the denim insulation within the bed.

Before that is done, this unit needs sanding and paint.

Next I will show the installation of the absorbent material.

IP Logged
red pill sanctuary

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #111 - 07/06/24 at 04:16:44

Just opened a box of Ultra Touch Denim insulation which is 1.8 inches thick once it relaxes and fully expands. This one box of six rolls is only enough to install the first layer of absorbent within the bed. Each of these binary hybrid absorber/diffuser modules will require a total of four boxes of this material. That is 24 rolls.

I am showing you for demonstration purposes only how this looks fully stuffed. I have not got around to painting these units yet. I will get them painted and take these upstairs before I refill them. This makes the transport of these upstairs much easier. Much of this stuffing can be done after the units are securely hung from the ceiling.

The ceiling units are all finished and hung.

Just another example of a good binary configuration of these base arrays. This displays a six panel example with a nice uniform pattern.

So now it is time to create some acoustic devices for the back of the room. Perhaps I will begin with the major build of the large full scale ternary absorber/diffuser unit. This unit is so large and heavy, that it must be built in place within the audio room. I prefabbed the parts, and test fitted these in the garage first. Then all parts were transported upstairs for final assembly.

That project is coming up next.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print