Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/17/24 at 15:19:57 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
My Audio Journey Evolution, The Final Stage. (Read 9856 times)
red pill sanctuary
Seasoned Member

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Re: My Audio Journey Evolution, The Final Stage.
Reply #150 - 09/06/24 at 04:16:03

Before, the volume knob felt as though something was off about it. So naturally, since this popping noise and drifting distortion was in direct relation to the volume knob, I focused there as to the most likely source of noise.  There are several open slits around the volume pot. As I turned the knob back and forth full swing repeatedly, I sprayed the DEOXIT 5 fader control cleaner into all of these open areas that I could. I did this several times until I could feel the knob becoming less resistive and very smooth.  I finished that with the DEOXIT Gold lubricant.

I then treated all other controls the same way before putting the amp back into the chassis.

Then I took a dental brush (not a toothbrush, but the type that is straight with bristles for inserting between your teeth like floss) which just happens to be perfect for this task, and cleaned out every tube socket using the same treatment.

Finally, I used fine Emory cloth and carefully polished the corrosion(simply appears as dark stains) from each and every tube pin that goes into this amplifier.  Those pins were then cleaned and treated with the DEOXIT.  This was late at night and all I wanted to do was check the amp after turning it on to see if there was any improvement to the problem.

Also, every connection and cable end was treated the same way. So the entire signal path of this system was properly serviced.

The audio God's have blessed my amp.  THE VOLUME CONTROL NOISE WAS NOW GONE! The action of the knob became very smooth and completely silent with no music playing.  Turned all the way to maximum, and it was as if the amp was not even on. Finally, things seem to be right.

Well, crazy as things happen in audio, I was in order for a very big surprise which kept me at full attention for the next couple of hours. I didn't quite get to bed as early as I intended. Funny how that happens! My whole perception of this amplifier completely changed within an instant! It was as though I had just purchased a newer higher quality amplifier, one which I felt I should have been hearing with this amp all along.  

Remember this, when I had listened to this amp in the past being much newer, I did not have a good room to hear it in, and the speakers I was using were not really very good, nothing like the ones I have today.  So back then, I am sure the amp sounded great, but my room condition and system were not good enough to reveal the natural quality I should have heard.

I was starting over trying to build a new audio system, and the amp came first.  That was over 12 years ago.  I no longer had any of my previous audio gear, my huge collection of high priced vinyl, or even my collection of digital recordings.  So by the time I actually got this room built and I had a great system to use this amp with, the problem had become a nuisance.

Anyway, back to the initial test after cleaning the amplifier connections.  I grabbed the closest CD that I could reach for and put a disc of the Eagles into the player.  ( the mastering done on that CD was very good, with excellent dynamics and clarity)

Mind you, the amp was stone COLD, not on for more than five minutes, the other equipment was just turned on and the speakers had not been played that evening at all. So nothing was warmed up to optimal operating temperature for the best sounding playback.

Of course I wasn't going to actually listen to the music, I just needed verification that the cleaning did it's job effectively.

I hit play and just sat there almost dazed at what I was hearing, and that is with a COLD amp!  The room is instantly filled with the smooth dynamic sound of Hotel California.

I am hearing this with my Qforce speakers which are my reference grade models.

The soundstage actually became wider and taller. There was a newfound clarity, effortlessly revealing detail that had me stunned. There was a significant extension to the bass now, highly detailed and very tight. Everything just sounded so much better, to the point where I couldn't believe I was listening to the same amplifier.  I could not stop listening because the sound was so satisfying, nothing like I had heard before. I believe that corrosion on the tube pins was a major factor here, but the sum of all things done within made the difference overall.  That dirty volume control was really a factor.

Naturally, I became deeply focused upon what I am now experiencing, and I just could not stop playing the music. When that disc was done, I needed to hear more!  By this time, the equipment is warmed up and at it's best.  Let me tell you, there was much more missing from this amp which eluded me over time.  I was only wanting to correct the dirty volume control which was causing the noise in the amplifier.  This cleaning treatment did far more than that, in ways I never expected.  If I had not experienced this firsthand, I would have never believed that much of an improvement would have been possible.

I went from being extremely happy at my newfound experience, to being very upset that I had been using an amplifier with sound quality this degrading all of this time.  I had some rather unsavory thoughts about this whole situation.  But I went to bed, and the next day I was just happy to find the solution to this problem. And I didn't have to send it back to Decware to get it corrected.  Cost me around $40.00 for the treatment and a bit of time, and that is all it took.  This goes to show how important periodic cleaning and maintenance is to this or any other amplifier, especially if it is valve based.

So I apologize for never being able to give you an accurate evaluation of the inwall system. But I still found the outcome very favorable considering the situation.

Now, it has been awhile, so let me try to recall my impressions of that setup.

I initially tried using the 38 percent factor from the front wall.  Let me tell you, in a small room, that is a bit close to the front wall. Seemed a bit weird to me, but this is a fact finding mission, so that is irrelevant to the purpose.  I will confirm indeed that this 38 percent factor has some real merit to it.  I was initially very impressed by the frequency response sitting at this position. It really did seem to dial in the correct spot within the room. Out of curiosity, I experimented by moving the couch back and forth a few gradual movements along that center line. I could actually detect minute changes within the perception of the music. I am talking about very minute movements within an inch or two. When you have a quality system and a well designed audio room, these changes become easily recognized in a transparent way.

So I wanted to see just how bad it could get by getting closer to that center of evil, the halfway point of the room length. Listen, if you ever want to experience just how bad the effects of room modes are, just sit in the center of the room and see what happens.  You will think that either something is wrong with your system, or your recording is really, really BAD!  This is where the highest degree of cancellations are taking place due to standing waves. There is no bass, the music sounds thin, and frankly, you would not listen for more than 30 seconds. Now move back closer to that 38 percent mark, and like magic, suddenly everything just reappears and the music is great again.

So I degreed this placement in to where I felt it was the best.  And now it is time to do some serious listening.

I designed the crossover networks on Xsim using actual speaker measurement files. This software is superb, the slightest changes within the design are instantly shown in real time so that you can instantly see the effect your change has on the design.  The resulting frequency response of this system's network is about as flat as one can get with an array this complex considering the drivers used. So my thought was that this was off to a good start. If the room response acts anything like that of the speaker response data, then this should sound incredible,....at least on paper.  There are many factors which can make or break a system like this.

I also want to note that I mostly used standard production CD's for the listening tests. With the exception of a few, most were just good recordings that are mainstream productions.  Had I used well mastered HDCD versions, I am sure the results would have been dramatic by comparison.

I keep my eyes closed when listening so that my perception of the music is not influenced by what I see.

I set the volume control to approximately 30 percent.

I find that using the forward setting on the rear switches choosing between 16 ohms and 8 ohms is far superior with my speakers. I will assume the forward position is an 8 ohm load.  With this position, the bass response is much deeper and far more dynamic.

I am sitting at the exact center point, 38 percent of the room's length from the front wall. This places me at close range to the speaker drivers which is nearfield listening.

My initial impressions were something much different than I was accustomed, compared to using speaker enclosures placed within the room.

Actually, when we get used to hearing certain anomalies over time which are caused by things such as SBIR, then we grow to accept that this is what music should sound like from a set of speakers. (not to mention all of the deceptive things we were subjected to as a result of bad room acoustics in general)

Reasoning this factor, I knew that it would take time to readjust, and relearn my perception of music without that tainted factor as before.

To be continued shortly.

Professional Studio Grade Acoustic Transformation.
  IP Logged
red pill sanctuary
Seasoned Member

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #151 - 09/06/24 at 04:35:49

So what  I am processing is a sound which is rather dry, yet very clear and highly detailed.  And yes, even with a wall that close in front of me, with my eyes closed, I was convinced of a setting many times larger than what my audio room really is.  The music did not come from the direction of the speakers. The music was alive within the room without restraint. I was experiencing a soundscape expansion which made me believe I was in a very large space.  There was no directional point source. You could not determine exactly where the sound was coming from.

There was now a presence of holographic projection which made my perception of time and space much closer to reality as one hears in nature. What I did not like, was that the lower frequencies which I hoped to be strong, were indeed, nowhere near what I expect. On a positive note, the bass notes were very clear and well defined. There was none of that "one note bass" which is so common in untreated rooms. I was fascinated by the superb control in which the bass response provided. The more power fed into it, and the better it sounded. It was as if you could visualize the bass player in front of you, imagining each and every note as the player's fingers manipulate the strings, providing a new course of vibrato that is simply mesmerizing with how clean and detailed the progression of chords are as they unravel.  The perception of pitch is indeed solidly intact in a way that was never revealed this well before.

But, the level of dynamics were just not what I expect to feel. Visceral response is where the music takes on a life with physical involvement. I need to feel the music, as well as hear it for the full experience. Good music should provoke an emotional response in order to become truly involved within the music and its depth.  This factor is largely the core motivator for experiencing a strong degree of emotion as you connect to the music as one.

I had to advance the volume in order to get a reasonable sense of bass that I like. At that level, the decibel factor can be a bit harmful to one's hearing, so not wise for long term listening.. I did not feel that this level of amplification should be necessary to get a good low end response. I believe at that point, this amplifier was being pushed to its limits of output. The Visaton woofers that I used are not very efficient, so they did limit that situation to a large degree. They produce nice low end when given enough power, but that huge array of eight 10 inch woofers just did not meet my expectations overall. As I said before, there could have very well been some heavy bass cancellation going on as well.

After extensive listening, I decided to reverse the sitting arrangement and move backward to the 38 percent area from the BACK wall. This placed me about four feet from the rear wall binary/ternary diffusers. Now I am listening at far-field and things have changed in some aspects. I would not say that I noticed any bad changes to the sound quality, but as I recall, the bass extension seemed to be stronger and more even with the rest of the system response. My perception of space as how we gauge separation of instruments and position was somewhat different, perhaps a bit more restricted as a result of increased reflections which occur  at the back section of the room.  By dialing in the right placement of the sidewall diffusers, this does actually make a noticeable difference in tailoring the perceived width and depth of the soundstage.  With that readjusted, the balance of the room response became more natural, and focus became favorable.

As for high frequency response. Overall, the high frequency response had a very open and clean presence. I have used these same HiVi drivers in other designs with great results, so I am very familiar with their performance characteristics. There were details that center upon cymbals and high hats that was not as clear as I have heard in the past on some recordings. Something was a bit off and I knew it could be improved upon.

Now as for the lower midrange. I was not feeling that physical connection to  where percussion can have a strong impact upon your senses. Something seemed to be lacking. It became apparent that some changes will need to be made within the crossover networks. With some tailoring, I wanted to see if this could be improved to give the midrange more body.

So the next step is to completely disassemble the crossover networks and start from scratch with Xsim.  I came up with a revised design which should make a difference. This time, I upgraded to much higher quality parts. Very expensive close tolerance foil inductors were used along with 1 percent tolerance high grade capacitors and resistors.

I will show you those upgrades and then get back to the evaluation once the upgraded networks are in place.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #152 - 09/07/24 at 02:00:00

RPS
Your last three posts are profound. I have oftentimes thought that most of break-in of new equipment has more to do with breaking down contaminated films created when assembly takes place of components and final product. Your experience with aged components is real and the remedy should be performed by all who read those post for maximum potential. I really do not look forward to the maintenence needed on my system after 7 months of idle time.

I just ordered a Swiss Digital Fuse Box to eliminate the attendance need when fuses are bypassed with 4 gauge copper wire. Mark at Vera-Fi Audio offered a Graphene Sluggo at good discount with my order because of conflict with discount codes that were available. I declined and opted for a Piggy to save time in making up one. Why did I decline? There seems to be positive fanfare in this forum about those sluggos. I often wondered how those who opted for graphene install the graphene. Are they using some sort of barrier to eliminate contamination of skin oil deposits? Is skin oil creating the illusion of a difference?

Ahhh the journey continues!

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
red pill sanctuary
Seasoned Member

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #153 - 09/07/24 at 05:23:45

The updated version for rebuilding the new crossover networks.

So with the newly revised design with upgraded parts, it is time to reevaluate this system.

IP Logged
red pill sanctuary
Seasoned Member

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #154 - 09/07/24 at 05:41:18

I often wondered how those who opted for graphene install the graphene. Are they using some sort of barrier to eliminate contamination of skin oil deposits? Is skin oil creating the illusion of a difference?

This is all new to me. I can't relate to this without looking into it first. Perhaps I should investigate this situation and see if there may be anything to this. It never hurts to learn something new. If you keep pursuing this audio journey, you will always learn new things. The best way is through personal experience.

Perhaps the skin oil actually creates a microscopic barrier. It would be like a minute resistive layer which indeed alters the electrical function.  Makes me think of "foil in oil" capacitors. Just what is it about that oil?

I have learned that one cannot deny what they hear. When many back up that perception, then there has to be something to it.

Have another beer and things will become more clear!

Smiley

IP Logged
red pill sanctuary
Seasoned Member

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #155 - 09/07/24 at 06:24:10

Sorry about the bad quality of the graphs. When I reduced the size for posting on this forum, it really degraded the image. Part of it was cut off. I will try to repost a better image if I can.

This graph represents the frequency response after the revision from 30 Hz to 20 kHz.

That came out a little better, but still not clear enough. That is the best I can upload. Hopefully, you can read the data and make sense of it.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #156 - 09/08/24 at 14:02:36

You all most lost me with that network. I can see no padding was used so some salvation is on the western horizon. Looking forward to a listening session!

As far as graphene goes, it is an excellent absorber of oil plus goes thru a bonding process in the creation of a Sluggo. I surely would not downplay anyone's preception of its use with placement in a cheap fuse holder as an improvement to their system. Just my POV.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
red pill sanctuary
Seasoned Member

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #157 - 09/09/24 at 05:55:43

JB,

With X-sim, I get real world results instantly. It doesn't always sound as good in reality as it does on a graph, but then again, the sound system, room acoustics, and quality of recordings will absolutely be the main factors in which to convey what this really sounds like as a whole. If it isn't right, back to the drawing board and remain disciplined until the correct answer is found.  As I say, it is all about discovery and process.

No, absolutely no padding!  That would be like introducing negative feedback within a refined SET amplifier!  Would become rather pointless in the end.

Circuit boards have their place, and they certainly make things easier during production, but you know, it is all about the end result. The quality factor is always the most important thing to consider when building audio projects.  Point to point soldering keeps things direct and short. That is proven to make a significant difference with high end audio.

I had my reservations about implementing a Zobel circuit to stabilize the impedance. I know that this can degrade the sound quality, but I felt it was important to this design. After testing it, I do not regret doing so. I like to keep things as simple and direct as possible, but this array is complex, so there was no short and easy solution to maintaining such a smooth frequency response. This response is nearly ideal when all things are considered. This is not an easy thing to achieve.  The only concern that I have is how it sounds. If I like it, then I am satisfied.

We shall have a discussion concerning this graphene project.  I do want to find out more about this.  I try never to downplay what I cannot prove.

Now just where did I put that mixture of deuterium and tritium!

Smiley

I am not getting your email messages. After your first one, I never saw anything else. Not sure what is happening with my account, but for some reason, yours does not come through. Try sending again. If that does not work, then try a text or PM me here. I checked the spam folder and everywhere else, nothing shows up.

As for that listening session, After the intense and SO gratifying listening experience I became enthralled with last night, I thought about how you are going to react once you have experienced this. I intend to stir up some real emotion within your perception of music so that you won't stop thinking about it for some time to come.  If this does not somehow become something special for you, then I give up....everything is going to Goodwill! If you experience what I did last night, I guarantee that you are in for a real epiphany.

Shocked

Anyway, get back with you later.

I am now going to resume posting. I am near the end of this phase.

IP Logged
red pill sanctuary
Seasoned Member

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #158 - 09/09/24 at 06:21:30

Inwall Baffle Array Listening Evaluation: Part  Two, Final Results

Now that the crossover networks have been upgraded with a new design and higher grade parts, it is time to reevaluate this inwall system to see if there are any improvements within the areas where I felt were not performing optimally.

According to the frequency response graph produced by the X-sim software after the upgrade, it clearly shows that the improvement is there, but listening is what will confirm this.  Just remember, the amplifier still had that problem with noise and distortion tainting the system.  So once again, the end result of this second evaluation is not what it would have been had this problem not been an issue.  I can't go back now, as that phase was finished long ago, where the transition to the new system went into play approximately six months later.  I really wish I could have heard this second evaluation using the amp as it is today in prime operating condition.

At that time, if I recall correctly, the set of Electro Harmonix EL34 tubes from Cryoset were getting close to the end of life, so that too could have contributed to a tainted result for these evaluations. I am almost certain that I changed this tube set within a few months of this time period.   At any rate, I have to accept things as they were and just be satisfied with that.

As for the seating arrangement, even though I found that the 38 percent rule did indeed bring the best results sitting at the nearfield position, I opted for the rear seating position at 38 percent of the rooms length from the rear wall.   This position was still quite acceptable, and I did not feel that I was losing that much as a compromise. Any differences between the two positions are minimal.  My perception was that the forward nearfield position seemed to have a larger soundstage with better imaging.  The idea of sitting that close to the front wall was just too odd for me to accept, so it just wasn't going to be acceptable to use that listening position.  There always seems to be a tradeoff when something is changed. As you recall from the first listening evaluation, the bass response actually improved at the 38 percent position from the rear wall.  I want the best bass response possible, so this became my choice and that is where I remain today.  It wasn't a major change, but more refined.

As for the results, it has been awhile since I experienced this, but I will focus upon the things that I felt were worthwhile, and definitely an improvement over the first test.

Again, the music played were of standard issue CD's, the same ones used in the previous test. Other than what I did to modify the crossover networks, the system is pretty much unchanged at that point.

I expected that upgrading to higher quality parts with an improved design was going to make a noticeable improvement. The results on the graph show this, so now we shall see what that equates to in an actual listening test.  The areas of improvement needed where mostly in the low end, the lower midrange which seemed too thin and unsatisfactory, and the most critical area where overtones are prominent to the delicate fine detail within the higher frequency range. All of these areas should be produced  with unrestricted transparency when the system is optimal and highly refined.

Even though my amplifier was not performing as it should have been, what I hear being revealed at this stage was most definitely an improvement in every way. The bass response was  tighter, more involving, and detailed. The transition between notes convey better distinction now . The lower midrange revealed a robust body with far greater focus, and much improved presence. This is that critical presence which lures you into the music with a physical and emotional connection. It goes without saying, that the upper midrange took on a more refined presence as well. The presentation  is better balanced, equalized across the general frequency spectrum in a more natural sense.

Now for the high frequency response.  There was a definite improvement here as to what I felt was missing before. Detail with greater extension is now crystal clear compared to the original listening test.  Most importantly, the soundstage opened up considerably. The level of imaging became more refined, as the separation of instruments within time and space  present realistic presence within the room.  I can only imagine what the degree of improvement would have been had my amp been operating as it does today. All of these changes were noticeable, correcting the previous issues to a level which is at a higher level of quality.  Compared to before, this seemed very good. So I just left the arrangement this way for the next six months or so, and found it satisfactory that way.  All except for one thing that still was not up to my expectations.

That area which I am disappointed with is the lack of low frequency extension with that important connection to bass response which makes the music take on a physical presence as would be felt in a real musical presentation.  I knew at this time that this setup was never going to perform at the levels which I expect to have. This array of woofers  were clearly the wrong choice for this type of speaker arrangement.  With hindsight being 20/20 after the fact, I realized that the proper way to have done this would have been to build a bass system separate from the baffle wall, with an auxiliary subwoofer to enhance the bass extension.  I should have only placed the midrange and high frequency drivers flush within the baffle wall, leaving the lower frequency drivers within enclosures that I could have placed within the room, providing flexibility where I could dial in the best room response.  

Bass is omnidirectional, so placement is not going to  affect the way it blends in with the main drivers. When the bass drivers are placed within the wall, there is zero flexibility in which to dial in the best response. I had expected this as a very possible end result, but I gave it a shot.  As I said before, I am sure now that heavy bass cancellation was going on with these woofers built into the baffle wall. I would expect far better bass response out of eight  woofers wired in a series/parallel fashion to increase efficiency.  I can't say that I was surprised at this result, but the experiment must go on, and now I know the reality of this.

So, since the bass response was nowhere near what I require before I am completely satisfied, there had to be again, another change, and this time, the bass drivers were going to be a separate part of this, arranged in a manner which I can place around the room to find the ideal room response. It will be far easier to modify and change out bass drivers as needed to find the right level of performance.

That was the plan. But wouldn't you know it, with time comes change.  We needed the bedroom which was on the other side of this baffle wall to be restored to a private usable manner again.  That means that the open back of these speaker arrays can no longer be allowed. That closet space needed to be returned to service for that bedroom.  So that was the end of the full scale baffle wall with flush mounted speakers.  I got to experience this design, and now I know exactly what to expect from that type of design. But reality checks in, and this is no longer an option.

So with this, that concludes the second and final listening evaluation for the inwall baffle array.

I am going in a completely new direction, but with a familiar set of speakers which I built around 2015 as a reference grade design of the highest quality standard possible. These were originally built for commercial retail for which I had considered licensing for high end audio dealers. I had created a design which excelled to a point where I feel by comparison, is better than anything I have listened to in the past. And that carries a great deal of weight when considering the designs I am comparing to.  What I did not know, was just how great the potential of these designs really were back then, as to what I now experience today with my current situation. Those speaker designs had been covered up and placed in storage for over two years while this audio room was being built and tested with the inwall system.  I knew that these were on standby if the inwall system failed to work out. And now we are at the present time, it is time to put these speaker designs back into action.

I do not see the inwall system as a failure. Even though it did not meet my expectations, what I gained was valuable insight as to what is possible, yet very difficult to create. I learned through experience. Experience is priceless. I will never look back and say....what if?  As I stated before, this whole experiment was about discovery. With discovery comes process, with process comes results. With results we have the answers we are searching for. Without it, we remain ignorant in the dark.

This marks the beginning of the second stage. Evolution has found the truth which serves me well.

The next segment will introduce you to my current system and room configuration in part three.

I hope that you did not find this end result to be disappointing. If anything, you learned a valuable lesson through someone else's trial and tribulations. If nothing else, I hope this journey has presented some degree of entertainment.  But listen, I am not done here yet. As a matter of fact, I am just now where I want to be. The journey gets very interesting now, and I promise you, the outcome is much more favorable in present form.

I will be building new designs in the near future. All of this will be progression into the advancement of discovery. I am always looking into the future and what it has in store.

I will return with stage two as it unfolds. You just may like it. I know that I do!

Smiley

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #159 - 09/09/24 at 13:56:21

Quote:
I am not getting your email messages.

This has happen to me before. If you replied using my e-mail contact  info embedded in this forum it adds an additional identifier to your e-mail address line which causes what you describe. When I replied to those e-mails the responses most likely ended up in your spam folder.

I will text my e-mail to Val. You then should copy it from the text and paste it in your e-mail application that you use and send me an e-mail message. I will use the address from the sent e-mail for future communication.

I have just hidden my e-mail in this forum to eliminate this from happening again, hopefully anyways!

IP Logged
red pill sanctuary
Seasoned Member

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #160 - 09/09/24 at 23:50:15

You then should copy it from the text and paste it in your e-mail application that you use and send me an e-mail message. I will use the address from the sent e-mail for future communication.

It is done. Check your email. My spam folder has nothing from you. It is as though you were blocked.

I will get back to you shortly.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #161 - 09/10/24 at 06:17:12

Quote:
Check your email.

Replied with your request in the e-mail.

IP Logged
mrchipster

Reply #162 - 09/13/24 at 00:59:35

RP,

Nice overview and details. I'm having fun re-living your audio journey past experiences with you. Plus, this forum is a great place to document it and have it live on.

I certainly agree with you that there is no failure at all here, let alone any disappointment. The baffle wall was a concept and theory that needed to be proven one way or the other in your case. The learning experience was invaluable, and the knowledge gained will always be with you for any future endeavors.
It's a testament to your commitment to the 'audio journey' and seeking out the truth in real results. I applaud that commitment as well as your skill, perseverance, and hard work to get 'er done! All I can say is Wow, on all fronts.

I also agree with you on audio equipment. I don't think you have to spend large sums to get it right. Your choice of front-end components is a great example of that. You found what will do the job really well and put it together. I found myself doing the same with Decware gear. I knew what I wanted/needed and felt it was a great fit. No need to spend 10's of thousands for my purpose at the time. I did splurge a little on my streamer/DAC by having it modified by MWI (great, great mods btw). Being my digital front-end, I wanted it to be exceptional without breaking the bank and the modded combo unit totally fit the bill. Anyway, like you, I decide on what I need and what will fill the need without concern of what people may think or how less expensive it is compared to 'audiophile' gear. However, I do feel you get what you pay for, but it makes it nice when you find something for much less than expected.

Thanks again for the exploits, and looking forward to the next installment!

SE84UFO25 - CSP3 (A-mods)
ZROCK2 (A-mods) - ZBIT
Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (ModWright)
Cambridge Audio CXC
Zu Audio Soul Supremes
VIABLUE IC's & Spkr cables ; DSR3 IC's
Audio-Technica TT
  IP Logged
red pill sanctuary
Seasoned Member

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #163 - 09/13/24 at 04:34:36

Thanks mrchipster, I certainly did go to great lengths to find the answer to that experiment. It was worth it while it lasted. But things change, and sometimes we have to move in different directions then what we set out for.

It is a good thing that I had my reference speakers on standby. Once that I put them back into service, I instantly knew that this was what was meant to be.

As for the equipment, not only do you get what you pay for, but also, the results are the sum of the correct parts working together in the right combination as you pointed out. It only makes sense that if you focus upon the parts that are used in the higher end models, then you should effectively mimic the performance characteristics of that selection. That is a good thing about audio forums all over the internet. Eventually, one gets valuable information from other peoples projects which end up with great acclaim.

Had I never read so many rave reviews concerning the Zero DAC, I would have never bought one. That unit is the best purchase I ever made in audio. The guy who designed and built this unit makes them to order much like Decware does.  Choices of DAC chips were optional so that you get the ones that you prefer. Having a choice of Burr-Brown DAC chips made this an easy choice. That particular DAC chip is well known as a great sounding choice. I am extremely pleased with the sound quality it produces. This unit stands out over the stock Tascam with 24 bit 192 kHz dual D/A conversion. The difference is better dynamics, better sound-stage, and better clarity. The transport in the Tascam unit goes straight out, bypassing everything directly via fiber optics. So between the great TEAC CD-5020A transport and the Zero DAC, this makes a combination which is very hard to beat, let alone equal.

Unfortunately, since the COVID 19 period, he is no longer selling this unit online. He just disappeared and his store is not to be found. I have no idea what happened to him, but apparently, this unit is no longer available. It is a shame when you consider the quality factor at such a low cost. Just an unbelievable value to say the least!

Again, this is something that must be heard to fully understand just how good this combination sounds.

As for the old stock Philips rectifiers that I swapped for a short while to test, well let's just say that they are not right for this amplifier. Those tubes got high acclaim from users who left reviews on the Upscale Audio website. Those tubes are hard to get now, and command a high price. They are of no value to me.

After I swapped the Electro Harmonix ES rectifiers for the Philips, I noticed that the smooth full bodied sound that I had was now brittle and somewhat harsh sounding. The dynamics clearly dropped off, and the sound-stage just seemed to collapse. I never thought that rectifiers could make or break the sound quality of the amp to any large degree, but this was clearly an undeniable case. I can tell you, that rectifiers absolutely make a difference within the sound signature of these Torii amplifiers.  Just goes to show how influential the power supply really is as a crucial part of the amplifiers sound.

I put the Electro Harmonics ES tubes back in, and PRESTO, everything was restored back to normal. The funny thing is that the Electro Harmonics ES rectifiers are inexpensive, while the old stock Philips are now demanding huge sums of money if you can find them. My advice is to stay clear of these and save your money.

So, glad you are enjoying my audio adventure. I think that you will find the next segments very interesting and most likely quite entertaining.

I will start advancing into the next phase shortly. I have been extremely busy, so finding time to be here is not easy. I am usually so exhausted from working all day that I just start to nod off when I get online. I am making great progress, and hope to have this house project completed within the next three weeks if weather permits.

I have ideas waiting to be built and tested in this audio room. I am looking forward to having time devoted to working on these ideas. So you can see that things never really stop. I will eventually be experimenting with new additions (acoustical treatment) to the room, and that means continuing into another phase for this thread. I am certain that this is going to continue for an extended time into next year. Winter time means more time in the shop. Something is bound to come out of that time period.  I do plan this winter to begin building my next set of speakers with full range 8 inch drivers based upon the rear loaded horn concept.

Check this out. As I was writing this post, this warning was directed to my attention.

Error: Posting this fast is considered spamming, you are warned!
You are only allowed 6 more attempt(s) after which you will be banned as spammer!

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ABOUT???

Shocked

If I get banned for something this stupid, I am going to be really upset.

Anyway, I will get back to this next audio phase.  (that is if I don't get banned)

IP Logged
red pill sanctuary
Seasoned Member

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #164 - 09/13/24 at 04:49:18

Hey JB,

I am baffled as to what the problem is getting messages through my email address. I have never had this issue before.  Not sure if you got the test email that I sent your way, but I am getting nothing back from you.

Something is blocking this communication. I see nothing in the spam folder, and no trace of a message anywhere.

You might have to just relay a message here or with a PM.  You can always send a direct message through the cell phone.

IP Logged
red pill sanctuary
Seasoned Member

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #165 - 09/13/24 at 05:33:01

This is the beginning of the second stage. The in-wall speaker array has been removed and the wall is now solid again (at least in appearance).  Just remember, you can't see the built in midrange bass absorbers that make up a huge part of this wall.  This wall may look normal, but it is anything BUT normal! A good portion of that surface is actually metal for the face plates of the diaphragmatic absorbers.

So now we will focus upon what is going to fill that space for audio speakers.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #166 - 09/13/24 at 16:27:25

Quote:
Check this out. As I was writing this post, this warning was directed to my attention.

Error: Posting this fast is considered spamming, you are warned!
You are only allowed 6 more attempt(s) after which you will be banned as spammer!

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ABOUT???

The reason for the time limit between posts is because AI BOTS that somehow get approved will start rapid fire posting spam.  It can be in the hundreds in just a few minutes.  Not very fun to hunt down and delete these posts.  With a delay set it minimizes the damage if one does get through.  

WWW   IP Logged
red pill sanctuary
Seasoned Member

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #167 - 09/15/24 at 02:39:34

Steve,

The funny thing is, I was not posting anything in rapid succession.  I was simply writing and refreshing to see changes that I made to the pending post. I had not even posted anything yet at the time of that warning.

I completely understand the problem that these AI bots are creating here. I would love to hunt down the source of this code and be the one to terminate it's presence with MY form of persuasion. Behind that code is a sleaze bag who doesn't deserve the oxygen given that POS!

People need to wake up and be aware that the rise of AI is going to be the total downfall of humanity. There will be a point of no return.

I had discussions about this 30 years ago concerning the potential of this very thing. We knew back then about the warning signs, and being part of the military with a high level security clearance, I was aware back then of more than I cared to know about the impending future, and what will become of technology. This is just another reminder of how mankind simply feels the need to self destruct.

I hope this can easily be rectified to get me back on if this ever does ban me from the forum.

I will be aware of this, but as I said, I did nothing wrong to trigger this response.

Sometimes I wish that I could hit the reset button and restart life again around 1978. Life was so much better then.

And life goes on in this world of uncertainty.

IP Logged
red pill sanctuary
Seasoned Member

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #168 - 09/15/24 at 04:31:49

Good evening everyone.

I shall get back on track with a good note to start things off.  I had a very hard day today trying to get all of this work done to the house. I am losing daylight rapidly as each day goes on, so I have to work late into the evening, wrapping things up by moonlight.  I will be so glad when this job is finished. If I don't come across anymore unforeseen problems to deal with, then this should be real soon.

So where I left off with the last post was at the stage of a new beginning for my audio room.  I will now show you the beginning stages of how this came about, and the results of the next design for which I am currently using.  

The build I am going to show you was completed back around 2015, so these are well broken in and have hundreds of hours on them. When I designed these speakers, I had one thing in mind, to make them right the first time, and never feel the need for replacements. My goal was to create the finest design possible with quality being the utmost of this build. These are very complex. They certainly commanded a high level of skill and knowledge to bring these into fruition.

Just know this, I will not divulge technical details which would inspire some unsavory character to steal and begin manufacturing them. I will give you the basics of how they work, but with extreme caution.  Trust me, that form of presence was very real on my YouTube channel. I had to quickly terminate that platform. These were the original models that I planned to build for retail.  The cost of making that venture happen was just too much of an investment for me to take on. So these became my personal reference models which I will never let go. They are a perfect match for my amplifier, and I could not be more pleased with this combination.

As I stated in the past, out of curiosity only, I am feeling the need to experiment again and try a new build. This design idea is similar to the lil' headwrecker design, but I am putting my own ideas into them for an expanded alteration. Mine will be downsized to 80 percent of the big boys, but they too will be super efficient, with superb sonic range using an amplifier such as the Torii models, or the very intriguing ZMA with it's super clean 40 watts that count.  ( I plan to order that amp soon unless a new design comes out to catch my attention ). I don't need that much power with well designed speakers, but it doesn't hurt to have a good abundance of reserve power for those intense levels of sonic bliss. Bass response will not be taken lightly.

I don't even use more than 40 percent of the ToriiMk3 power on tap, and that is only around 25 watts per channel if I am correct on that.  Transients may be quick, but they demand a great deal of power in a short burst. Without enough reserve power, that can be a challenge for an under powered amp quickly driven into distortion.  I can not praise the design of this amp enough!   I drive it hard, and it just keeps delivering the golden promise, never letting me down. The tube arrangement that I use simply seems to match this amp perfectly as well.  I absolutely would be hard pressed to find a way to make this amp perform any more exemplary than what it currently is.  The amp is the deciding factor for which any speaker design will have merit.

So with my future build, I will be focusing on a rear loaded horn concept using 8 inch full range drivers.  Double walled Baltic birch, and a good implementation of mass loaded vinyl to kill cabinet resonance. Instead of using wings, I shall incorporate a very radical form of diffuse angles which have a purpose very similar to stealth technology. If you know anything about why a stealth fighter has those multiple hard angles along its body, that is to avoid radar detection.

Logic tells me that this type of design could take some of the diffraction issues away from a standard cabinet.  I was trying to get away from this design flaw with the baffle wall, SBIR being the main focus.

I have an idea for an adjustable gate for which to fine tune bass response for any room that these go into.  I want the design to have a full rake with perhaps a 7 degree slant. The entire speaker will be built at that degree, not just the front.  That is the way my reference speakers are built. That is a great deal of angles to deal with, but it is worth the hassle. Great builds don't come easy.

I wasn't even thinking about building a new design, but things change with time, and hey, why not!  So that project will begin next year, perhaps around January.

I like a good challenge, and it is damn fulfilling once an idea transforms into something which simply blooms with all the right rewards.

I don't stress about failures, as that is what it takes to find the ultimate solution.

How many times do you suppose that Wilbur and Orville Wright failed miserably before they took that first flight which led them into the history books?  

Suddenly, success made up for all of those disappointing trials.  If only they knew where that journey was to lead into the future.

The next post will begin the current part of my journey for which is currently adapted into my audio room.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #169 - 09/15/24 at 16:05:37

I've had the "System" lock me out also.

It ended up that I was previewing my posts too quickly as I was editing them.  It counts the preview button the same as the posting button.

Just slow down! Don't preview more than once a minute.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
red pill sanctuary
Seasoned Member

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #170 - Today at 02:05:04

Thanks Donnie, I came up with that same conclusion. I have been very careful since that warning.

IP Logged
red pill sanctuary
Seasoned Member

Today's misguidance
is tomorrow's
future!

Reply #171 - Today at 04:07:18

So here we go with the start of the new speaker system. What you are about to see are the basic details and build images of my reference grade models which I designed and built. These are the Qforce speakers which I am currently using in the audio room.

The entire cabinets are built at a de-greed rate of rake. Not just the front, but the entire unit front to back are slanted equally. Just as if the entire assembly was warped backward. Of course the top and bottom are on perfect horizontal level to the floor.

These are built using high grade Baltic birch plywood. The crossover networks were designed using the Xsim simulator software. Actual driver testing was completed to create the necessary FRD & ZMA files for the design. The final result of the frequency response is not only efficient, but extremely accurate and very well balanced across the entire spectrum from 40 Hz to well past 20 kHz. There is still a very strong presence down to 30 Hz with an Fs of 27 Hz.  I enhance these with an external bass reinforcement system which blends in perfectly to produce really tight low end response which boosts the lower end enough to equalize everything out.

These speakers are a two part design which mates a transmission line enclosure to a passively enhanced rear loaded horn concept. This design allows for adjust-ability between the two sections which allows for fine bass tuning in any room.

As I stated before, I am being careful not to divulge technical details in order to protect my design from being copied and manufactured. Even though the images themselves show much of the detail behind this design, it will be tough to copy without actual measurements. I put way to much time, effort, and cost to just give this information away freely. My purpose is not to instruct someone on how to build these. This is only to give you an idea of what I am using now in this room.

Here is a view of the blueprint for the Qforce design.  Again, NO measurements.  

This view shows the layout for the front grill covers which are machined from hardwood.

The bass extension housings are made from .75" MDF which you see drawn out here.

The following images of the primary speaker enclosures are not the actual images of this build, but they are nearly identical. I did not have images of this internal view, but just happened to have images of another set of speakers which used the same design. My actual speakers as seen here have more reinforcement, plus the top and bottom are constructed with double layers of .75 inch Baltic birch.  The following images will however give you an idea of how these are constructed.

Here you see the internal view showing the front part of the enclosure forward of the T-line.

And here you see the rear portion of the enclosure where the passive radiators will couple with the bass extension section.

And this image showing the DADO joints for very strong structural integrity.

This shows the back of the primary enclosure where the passive radiators are being machined to fit.

This is a fit check for the passive radiator surrounds and grills.

I will be back to continue this build review soon.  There is much more to come.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print