Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
06/21/24 at 07:00:35 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New (to me) white Top ZP3 (Read 200 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

New (to me) white Top ZP3
05/26/24 at 13:44:36

Everyone,

I just recently acquired a lightly used white top ZP3 to finish out my quest in the white top journey.  Much thanks to Kamran for giving me the lead!  It should arrive here on Wednesday, so in preparation I have started to grind away in the ZP3 section.  It will be replacing a Rega Fono MKIV phonostage, which will probably be going up for sale in the near future.

I don’t plan to do the full mods/upgrades to the amp until next year.   With that being said…I’m not sure where to start.  Do I just buy a new set of stock tubes from Decware to get a baseline.   The tubes supplied with the unit are the ones that came with the stock unit.  While I’m sure there is still some life in them…I’m betting i need a new tube set of the 12ax7 and 12au7.  I do have a backups of VR and Rectifiers that I can use that are in very good condition.

If I decided not to go with a stock Decware offering, right now I am leaning towards the RCA’s and Raytheon’s.  I really do like the Tesla’s….they are currently in my Zen's and my Torii.  From what I’ve read, the 1st position 12ax7 benefits from a low microphonic tube.  Any thoughts or recommendations for this first position tube?  

Also…I would like to know what your current favorite tubes a you are using in your ZP3?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable, White top ZP3, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Re: New (to me) white Top ZP3
Reply #1 - 05/26/24 at 16:39:36

Congrats Dom, you're going to like the ZP3. I've had mine almost two years now and lately I haven't felt a need for a any more tube changes. From my experience the rectifier and VR tube have the biggest influence on the sound, or change in sound. I've tried multiple VR tubes and prefer OB3 the best, but from reading VR tube choice varies from person to person or system to system. I really like a Cryotone 5ar4 rectifier, the smoothness of this one has kept it in place for months. An RCA 5814a was the best of what I tried in position 3. I threw a bunch of 12ax7 at the first two spots. Currently I have a Soviet 12ax7LPS and a Gold Lion in those spots. Low noise like 12ax7A's sound great. I really wanted Telefunken 12ax7's to work as I had more than a few, but they didn't work for me, very aggressive but some might like that. In all, just play around with different tubes, eventually like the other amps you start hearing tendencies and traits. Unfortunately, it takes time but it's a fun ride and very rewarding.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #2 - 05/26/24 at 16:46:11

Dom- Congrats on getting your ZP3 White Top. I am certain that when it's all in and settled you will be one toe tapping happy camper. The front three tubes I am using now were just sourced from TAD in Germany a few months ago. The two 12AX7's were matched pair, low noise etc etc and the 12AU7 was just LN tube. As I understand it, TAD sources from China and runs them though some sort of testing process. I used to get tubes from them back in the early days from my 2 watt Zen (in my proof of concept phase, which worked) so I just through some blind trust in the wind and am very happy. I have a Brimar GZ32 and the VR from Steve. Previously I had come across some RCA 12AX7 / AU7 made for Baldwin organ company and they sounded nice as well. Keep us posted when it lands and show us a pic of your white top ally of Decware. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 05/27/24 at 15:49:49

Sean and Chris….thanks!   I was originally going to save up and buy the Modright unit, but when I saw that it was the white top ZP3 …I just couldn’t pass it up.  

Sean…I do like the 5AR4 rectifiers..they are in my Zen mono’s, so if I have another one in my stash I will start with that.  In terms of the VR’s…. I have a killer pair of Westinghouse VR75’s that Steve sold to forum members many years ago.  I originally saved them for my Torii, so I have to see what I want to do.  I saw some Gold Lion’s on Upscale Audio (Kevin’s Stash)that piqued my interest…so maybe.  

HDRider…the RCA’s made for the Baldwin organ company sounded  intriguing…I think eBay has a some, so I’ll dig a bit more to see where I land.  Good to know  you’ve had good luck with the TAD’s.  I never used any TAD’s so that may ban option since they are at a good price point. I used to run the GZ34’s in my Zen’s…so that a possibility.  I had acquired a whole bunch of rectifiers from CAJames…so I have some options.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable, White top ZP3, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 05/27/24 at 17:31:53

Sent you a PM Dom.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 05/27/24 at 21:16:01

Got it.  👍

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print