Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/16/24 at 10:50:25 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Setting up volume levels with Rachel and a Preamp? (Read 364 times)
thevinoman

Setting up volume levels with Rachel and a Preamp?
05/27/24 at 18:58:47

Have a 34I.5 Rachel amp and a McIntosh C22 v4 preamp.  Would like some guidance on how best to set up the volume settings, so that I don’t have to mess with them all the time.  The Rachel has dual volume controls, one for left and one for right.  Thanks for any help.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Setting up volume levels with Rachel and a Preamp?
Reply #1 - 05/27/24 at 19:03:39

I find that the way Steve recommends setting up the CSP3 preamp to be beneficial:

As a preamp the CSP3 is compatible with everything be it tube or solid state -- it won't matter because the preamp is fully adjustable.   You simply hook your amplifier to it, set the volume around 1/2 way up, and adjust these two output level controls until your system reaches a normal listening level.  That's it.

In your situation what I would try is to set the Mc preamp at about halfway, and then turn the gain controls of your Rachel until you get to normal volume for most source material, and then adjust the preamp for volume changes--at least hear how that works out.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/28/24 at 17:53:18

I run a CSP3 preamp into my ZMA power amp. I like the ZMA at full volume attenuated by the CSP3 volume at a lower level for a harder or more punchy sound (think hard rock, but not limited to that genre). For softer music, especially with prominent female vocals, I like to turn the ZMA down to about 40% volume or so and increase the overall volume with the CSP3 at a higher level.

All in all, the music all sounds good at either setting, but I've come to prefer certain setting with certain albums. Essentially, just experiment until you like it. Sometimes this can lead to tweaking while the music is playing, which can be distracting from simply enjoying the music. For non-active listening, I usually just use the ZMA-up/CSP3-down setting as my default.

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Space Tech Labs STR 1002; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
riknbkr330
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/02/24 at 16:03:55

I use the 34i.5 with a Creek 5350 as its preamp due to remote control volume and its great preamp section.  My Rachel only has one volume control and I have turned all the way up. Sounds great at all volume levels on the preamp.

Main System:
Decware Rachael; Omega Monitor 7; Omega deep8 sub; Oppo BD-105>Zbit; Rega P5; Dynavector 20X2L;Parks Budgie SUT; Decware ZP3.
Second System: Creek Classic 5350SE; Rega RS1; Dual 1264; Musical Surroundings Phonomena II
  IP Logged
1stwattlife
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/04/24 at 23:11:42

Man, I was going to pretty much hit a combo of those two approaches... now I don;t have to! LOL\
\
I think all these responses are great at illuminating the different approaches. I just also would throw in to be flexible with your approach. You may find that one approach works great now, but if you never play around with it after that, you may miss out on different aspects of the sound that unfold as the amp starts to break in long after the tubes are broken in.

You guys' setups sound amazing btw!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print