Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/16/24 at 06:40:06 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Telefunken G73R (12AU7) (Read 179 times)
Sai

Telefunken G73R (12AU7)
06/01/24 at 19:14:14

Wanted to share some impressions about the Tele G73R tubes. I’m using them in a Rogue RP-7 pre that takes 4 of these.

I think it’s a solid tube in terms of being super linear. And I mean ruler flat frequency response. A few folks have described its sound as having a sparkle up top. In my experience, that’s not the case. It’s a very analytical tube with an honest frequency response. Bass is tight and adequate and there is no mid range bloom. The tubes are basically a tightly selected set of Telefunken Smooth Plates with a black coating for better RF/EMI shielding? They were used extensively in aviation.

In terms of dynamics, I felt the tube to be capable but not more so than a good set of 60s Mullard tubes. It has a holographic soundstage, it’s not a huge soundstage but a very precise one.

I think overall, this is a great tube but a victim of its hype. Often described as one those holy grail tubes, and while I think it literally checks all the boxes one would want from the sound signature of a tube, that’s all it does. Maybe because it’s so analytical, it lacks any tubey goodness at all.

All in all, I’m not sure this tube is for everyone. Glad I was able to get a set and listen to them, but I will be stashing them away for now and go back to my Mullards or a set of CV491 tubes.

Zu Soul Supreme V, Torii MKV 25th Anniversary Mods, Rogue Audio RP7, Aurender N100H, Denafrips Ares II, Nottingham Space 294 w. Shelter Harmony MC, AllNic H-1202 Phono
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print