Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
06/21/24 at 06:54:47 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZMA would not power up!!! (Read 127 times)
Dan259
Verified Member

ZMA would not power up!!!
06/07/24 at 04:07:39

Please help!!!

I brought home a used ZMA that is running without a problem for months.

I installed all the tubes then switch on the amp. After few seconds the meters starts to go up. I noticed right away the second meter from the left reads 100 ma  while the rest is around 50 ma. I tried to to balance it but it would not go down. So I turned it off. After two minutes I tried again but still it does the same. I turned it off again but this time the ZMA won't turn on anymore.

I checked the fuse and tested, they are both good.

Did I blow up the rectifier because of one bad tube? I'm wondering if the left tube has problem should not the left side rectifier should blow. why is it the right side won't power up. I thought this is a two mono in one chassis?

Unfortunately I don't have extra tube to test.I pray I don't need to send it to Decware.

I really appreciate your response.
thank you

Dan

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: ZMA would not power up!!!
Reply #1 - 06/08/24 at 00:26:34

The first thing you need is a spare set of tubes, just because you never know when one will go bad. Also, the best way to tell if you have a bad tube is to replace it with a good one. And it sounds like you need new power tubes in any case.

My first guess is you blew the fuse, but you say you tested it. How did you test it, with a multimeter? If it were me I would replace it regardless. And I would keep several spares on hand. Is there still power at the outlet? It is possible (but unlikely) you blew the breaker for the whole circuit.

The ZMA has solid state rectifiers so it is highly unlikely anything happened to them. It is possible (but unlikely) something bad happened to the power supply caps or power transformer, but more likely is bad power tubes if the fuse is good.

Good luck.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Dan259
Verified Member

Re: ZMA would not power up!!!
Reply #2 - 06/08/24 at 08:12:04

Thank you

I will do as you suggested. I thought ZMA has no solid state parts. Surprised to know that it has a solid state rectifier.

Will update you.

Dan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print