Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
06/26/24 at 13:18:44 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Step-Up Transformer with Hana & ZP3 (Read 275 times)
Buckaroo
Verified Member

Step-Up Transformer with Hana & ZP3
06/17/24 at 00:01:28

Long time user and lurker, first time posting. I am reaching out looking for advise from folks with similar experiences. I have recently purchased a Sota Cosmos with a Graham 2.2 arm and am having a Hana ml cartridge installed. This will be my first MC Cart.  I went back and forth and decided to keep the ZP3 and add a SUT. The Sota folks have steered me toward Bobs Devices, who I spoke with. Seems like he has what will do the trick, but is it the best option for the Hana and the ZP3? Any advice is appreciated. Cheers

SOTA Cosmos, Graham 2.2, HanaML > Decware ZP3 > ZRock > SE84UFO2 > Zu Soul mkII
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Step-Up Transformer with Hana & ZP3
Reply #1 - 06/17/24 at 00:41:28

Quote:
Posted by: Buckaroo      Posted on: Today at 16:01:28

...but is it the best option for the Hana and the ZP3? Any advice is appreciated. Cheers

The best? Like a lot of stuff in audio you can spend an almost unlimited amount on step up transformers with increasingly exotic materials. But you could get a Decware MC1 for less $$$ than a Bob's Devices and I'm sure it will be fine. It may even be a little bit better because it has 6dB more gain than Bob's.

I personally have a Luxman SUT with my phono stage (similar to a ZP3) and it is super nice. Way nicer than any of several MC phono pres that I've had over the years.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/17/24 at 01:59:17

I looked at Bob's SUTs when I grew tired of my Jolida JD9. Never read a bad review on Bob's SUT's. I ended up with a Ned Clayton cinemag 1254. I liked the idea of having multiple settings and this one has 1:10, 1:13, 1:20 and 1:40. Bob has some that switch, but the choices are limited. If you don't know the ratio you want, Ned's SUT is a good option. I'm using an AT OC9III cart which is similar in output to the Hana. I run mine at 1:10 which I never thought I'd use. The volume is slightly lower, but much more open and detailed. If you do know the ratio you want, then Bob is a good choice.

Ned sells through ebay and I don't see any current SUTs for sale. He sold one a few days ago, here's a link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/126527359374?itmmeta=01J0HTSXD76RKRP9P617RP535V&hash=it...

You can email him, he's responsive and helpful. ned.clayton at gmail.com which gets blurred out on ebay.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Buckaroo
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/17/24 at 12:58:13

Well, that's part of my problem. I don't really know what ratio I need. Bob kind of brushed over that when I talked to him but pointed me to the devise that has a 1:10 and a 1:20. He said they would work with all the Hanas'. I have also looked at an Ortofon and a Hasimoto. Whenever I have talked to someone I get the 'this one will work, buy it', instead of explaining why. Im just trying to make sure that the SUT will work with the Hann and the ZP3. I guess finding one with multiple ratios may be the better approach. Thanks.

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #4 - 06/17/24 at 14:39:58

BIG fan of Dave Slagle at Intact Audio. He designs his SUT to be system specific and not a one be all answer. You don't have to do anything.
And of course his work is second to none.

https://intactaudio.com/

Cheers,    Crazy Bill

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #5 - 06/17/24 at 15:11:09

Quote:
Posted by: Buckaroo      Posted on: Today at 04:58:13

Well, that's part of my problem. I don't really know what ratio I need. Bob kind of brushed over that when I talked to him but pointed me to the devise that has a 1:10 and a 1:20.

Here's the math: A 10:1 SUT is 20 dB of gain, 20:1 is 26 dB. ZP3 is 42 dB and your cartridge output is 0.4 mV.

So with a 20:1 SUT you get 10^((26+42)/20) * 0.4 = 1 Volt output. A 10:1 will give you 0.5 Volt.

It looks like you are using a ZRock as a preamp, and I'm not sure how much gain you can get from it, but IMO you are better off with a 20:1 SUT regardless.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/17/24 at 16:32:26

Ned Clayton is the way to go. Nice guy, excellent product, reasonable prices, more options if you make changes down the line. He's very responsive via email and will work with you to find any value you need.

Ned can get the same Cinemag transformers that Bob gets. I think Bob's prices are kind of insane.

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Space Tech Labs STR 1002; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #7 - 06/17/24 at 21:21:45

I’m running the Hana ML, ZP3, and ZMC1 combo and it works well. I have not used any other SUT’s so nothing to compare to.

IP Logged
Buckaroo
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 06/18/24 at 16:02:17

Thanks for all of the great info. I appreciate all the comments. I plan on reaching out to Mr. Clayton. Thanks again.
Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print