Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sub for SE84UFOS (Read 220 times)
beaufleuve
Verified Member

Sub for SE84UFOS
06/18/24 at 17:08:57

I'm on the list for a zen triode but went ahead and pulled the trigger on a custom version sold in one of the auctions. matching the amp with merason dac1 mkII, lumen T3 and new la Scala speakers.

the amp sounds fantastic, but I'm all the way up on the volume. (I like to play Loud and I have a medium sized room with two open sides). the amp is pretty loud, but occasionally I'd like to go higher.

would a preamp help? and does anyone have rec's for one? I would consider a used decware, but don't want to wait 2 years for a new one.

thanks!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Sub for SE84UFOS
Reply #1 - 06/18/24 at 17:22:00

I think this question gets asked pretty often these days, and sometimes a search or two around the site can be fun and informative.

Unless your DAC puts out less voltage than the optimal input minimum for your amp, you won't get more volume/power from a pre. But pres like the CSP3, that have good sound tuning abilities as well as being a pre...playing with tubes, cables, and gain balancing between pre and amp, it can change the sound enough to feel a little more powerful. I use my pre for sound shaping, balancing gains between amp and pre to tune weight, body, clarity, lucidity.... though part of the volume, not a volume per se... I start in general, optimizing system/room sound, and then little gain tuning adjustments to optimize for recordings that are extra dark or lean or other refinements I get to know from practicing gain tuning. A great tool to me.

If not familiar with this idea, search gain tuning, or gain riding... I think there may be a fair bit about it. It is all fun!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 06/18/24 at 18:24:28

How far are you from the speakers? It seems like 105 dB sensitive La Scalas (if that is really what they are) would give you all the volume you need, even in a medium sized room with a 2 watt amp.

I'm not familiar with the Merason DAC, but it looks really nice based on the webpage. I assume you're using the RCA connection to the amp, and the spec says it will output 1.5V which (I think) is full power for the UFO. I agree with Will that a preamp could make your system sound louder, even if it isn't putting out any more watts. And I personally wouldn't consider having a system without a tube preamp. But something else you could consider is getting a ZBIT (much shorter wait than 4 years for an amp) and using the balanced outputs. Which will guarantee you've got plenty of voltage, give you a lot of options for gain riding, and may actually make the DAC sound better as well.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/18/24 at 19:34:59

Maybe add a good subwoofer. May help you some for a bit more low end 'juice'. I do have an old Hsu research vtf-3 sub attached to our zenufo. (rca high-level) But, it's turned way down for just a hint more low end on certain recordings. Works great! Love our setup with the UFO!  Our speakers claim 101db @ 1 watt 1 meter. As LOUD as we would ever need in here! Our fairly large front room with 14 foot cathedral.  [smiley=icqlite20.png]

IP Logged
beaufleuve
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 06/19/24 at 17:31:49

thanks for all of these ideas. down with the flu but will be looking into them

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print