Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/16/24 at 10:32:30 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Racks! Cabinets! Places to put your stuff! (Read 606 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Racks! Cabinets! Places to put your stuff!
06/20/24 at 23:43:49

I'm thinking about changing up my listening room a bit and thinking about building myself a equipment rack.

What are you all using? I know some have the Mapleshade stuff and I've noticed some other stuff in passing, but really never thought much about it beyond thinking "That looks nice".

I've been using a old table/desk for years with great results but I'm now thinking of going vertical instead of horizontal.

So I'm looking for ideas in what direction to go.
I do like "interesting" if that is such a thing.

So what do you got?? Or even ideas of a direction to go.

I can engineer up a solution from a great idea, I just don't have the spark to set my direction forward.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Re: Racks! Cabinets! Places to put your stuff!
Reply #1 - 06/20/24 at 23:52:54

I went for a butcher block acoustics rack.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 06/21/24 at 00:05:15

I can barely sharpen a pencil, but my buddy is a talented woodworker and he made my rack:

Cherry frame, MDF shelves with maple and walnut laminate stripes.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
STR-1002 -> Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/21/24 at 02:23:19

4 or 5 yrs ago I loved the flexi rack idea. I was cleaning out a relatives house that passed away. I found multiple bundles of oak flooring in the attic. Over 50 yrs old. I cut, planed, jointed, sanded, glued em up into three butcher block shelves. I think they’re 22” deep and 4’ wide. I cheaped out on the threaded rod and used 1/2”. If I had to do it over again, I’d use thicker rod and wouldn’t go as wide instead maybe two racks 2’ wide each. The shelves were perfectly flat, now there’s little less than 1/8” sag in the middle. 47lb TT ain’t helping that. I love the height adjustability, that has saved my bacon with upgrading components. Once I do my maple isolation slabs, the middle shelf will need to drop another 1” or so.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, UFO25, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 06/21/24 at 02:35:37

I'm not disliking this concept of a modular stand.

IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/21/24 at 22:33:21

I've had this Timbernation rack for years. It's been through many moves and is still rock solid. Chris is still in business.

https://www.timbernation.com

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 06/25/24 at 23:18:18

Donnie…if want something very cool and unique… look into purchasing a live walnut slab, have it cut to make 2 or 3 equal pieces, and have it mounted to the wall.  When I get some xtra $$$, I plan to go this route.  This place out here by me makes this metal strip with steel dowels sticking out.  Holes are bored into the slab to act as a receiver for the metal pins.  The only downside is that this becomes a permanent fixture r that gets mounted to your studs.  If I can find the place…I’ll post it for you.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable, White top ZP3, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Coqui
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 06/25/24 at 23:49:01

IP Logged
Coqui
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 06/25/24 at 23:54:36

My apologies for the previous reply! I recently built this audio rack using a video that I saw on the web. It is pretty solid and weights about 90 lbs. Total cost was approximately $200. The legs are sherry wood and the shelves are made with butcher blocks. I build this in preparation for the Sarah 300b that I am expecting to receive in September/October.

Ramón

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #9 - 06/26/24 at 01:11:48

Nice work on your rack! I'm sure Sarah will be very happy there. Smiley

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/26/24 at 02:56:49

Agreed with Tony—solid work on your rack Coqui.

It’s very similar in design to my BBA Rigid Rack and I instantly loved it.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Coqui
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 06/26/24 at 03:06:40

Thanks for the kind words! It was a collaboration with my father-in-law. I have to keep myself busy while I wait for my amplifier Smiley. I have changed my mind three times; first I ordered the Tori Jr., then the Rachael, and finally went for the Sarah. I cannot wait to take my old Rotel integrated amp and start listening to the Decware 300b. I also have an Aric 6SN7 Linestage pre-amp waiting for the Sarah.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 06/26/24 at 03:43:40

Wow everyone has such nice looking stuff!

I've began my build and we shall see what kind of "Bull Mess" I can make.

The only thing I can guarantee is my rack won't be even close to the quality I've seen done by you guys!

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 06/26/24 at 03:45:04

Nice looking rack Coqui!

Donnie, can’t wait to see what you come up with. My guess is it needs sealed before slaughtering meat on it or getting it wet.

My wife got me a Sawdust is man glitter shirt for Christmas. I’ve got to live up to it and get my isolation blocks moving along. Got them rough cut and flat on one side so far. I can’t decide which is better the rack solid to ground or isolated. I’ve tried both and not noticed a difference. I have noticed a difference in using isolation slabs and vibration pads, so down that hole I go.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, UFO25, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 07/02/24 at 19:12:31

I've been using a Vantage Point Audio standard 4 shelf rack and separate turntable rack for about 20 years. They're placed on the side of my listening room and hold all my source equipment w/ a 9' IC feeding my ZMA amp placed on a low platform in between the speakers. These solid racks have served me well especially with the steel spacer tubes filled with lead shot.

With the addition of more cables, SDFB's, a linear power supply for my Netgear WiFi extender I've been researching options for a larger rack for my source equipment. While DIY would be the least expensive route I wanted a really high quality unit, my woodworking skills & tools are limited. Focused on offerings from Butcher Block Acoustics - their new Rigid Rack Plus (more space between shelves than standard) and Timber Nation racks.

After a few emails and calls, I've decided on a custom Timber Nation 3 Shelf Wide Rack w/ Tiger Maple Shelves & Cherry Posts w/ a satin lacquer finish. It"ll be 48" wide x 18" deep x 31" high. The Tiger Maple shelves are 2" thick. I selected the cherry posts to blend with my ZMA & CSP3 cherry bases. When assembled the rack will weigh around 200 lbs.💪💪💪

A 13-15 week build time for the rack. I'll be picking it up, as their business is about 3 hours from my home. So I'll save a bit with no shipping costs. The folks at Timber Nation are very thorough and accommodating.

I'll post a couple pictures when I get the rack set up. Cheers!

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR MWI modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th A preamp > ZMA-25th A amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > SDFB's > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 07/02/24 at 23:26:56

Nice! I looked at both options before opting for butcher block acoustics – you can’t go wrong either way.

IP Logged
TexJ
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 07/12/24 at 03:12:26

I am thinking about building an audio rack out of wide cut milled wood with the bark on the end.  These cuts are generally used for coffee tables but why not?  I am looking into putting together a bi-level 40” wide audio stand.  

Wood working places like Rockler in Austin Texas have milled cut wood and also hardwoods ready to go.  I can use metal legs/supports with damping material at the joints if I need to.

My first plan was to use hardwoods and I still might depending on how this project turns out.  There is a metal shop near Denton Texas, (I am sure they are everywhere) than can custom make metal legs with joints on the ends for affordable prices.  I can also send the support legs to get powder coated after he fabricates them.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print