07/02/24 at 08:21:36 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speaker Hum Help (Read 84 times)
The other Lon

Speaker Hum Help
06/24/24 at 12:13:19

Issue is resolved, however I am looking for input to determine if the Hum actually was a result of the tubes or what else I should consider in the future if it returns. Thank you in advance. I know there are a lot of hum posts, just could not find one similar to this with an explanation.

New Torii MKV. Initial setup with Decware tube compliment. Left channel dead silent, right channel persistent speaker Hum. No hum from transformer or tubes themselves.

I tried many items to see what the issue was. Torii is running on a dedicated circuit. In this room I only had the Torii plugged in with no sources plugged in, just the speakers. Right channel Hum that did not increase with volume being turned up. Tried both sets of Decware ZFocus and ZWire speaker cables. Tried an older Monster cable with bare wire connect to the terminals. Hum still there. Swapped the speaker connections at the Torii (Right to left and left to right) and the Hum swapped to the left speaker now plugged into the right speaker tap. Also tried a different set of speakers. Swapped the Left Tubes to right and right to left. Hum stayed on the right side. So I am thinking there is nothing left to try. Tubes appear to be good otherwise the Hum should have now moved to the left however it did not. So I am thinking it must be something with the speaker tap at this point, maybe.

Hum sounds like 60 however a downloadable phone app said 120 (not sure this is accurate). Audible at normal listening distance of 6 feet in a small room. Moved back against the wall, now 8 feet and when the music goes soft/silent the hum is noticeable. Never had hum with an SE84 connected.

I reached the 100 hour mark on Sunday and decided it was time to replace the tubes with a Wathen Cryotone set. Replaced all, started up the Torii and bam, dead silent both channels. Not sure I understand how this would have suddenly made the hum disappear. I would have thought if the left channel was always silent that it would have hummed when putting the Decware tubes from the right side there and the right side would have stopped humming. I'm glad it is gone, just trying to understand how it left. Definitely apprecitate any insights.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Speaker Hum Help
Reply #1 - 06/24/24 at 15:27:14

Hey Other Lon,

Sounds mysterious. When this happens here, I often start with the IC connections, but I have low some mass WBT RCAs jacks where the ground runs a spiral up the sides, and with low mass KLE RCAs on the ICs with a relatively small one sided ground connection. Sometimes I lose a good ground and get hum, turn the IC ends a bit, and that can fix it. But you had disconnected ICs, so I would have thought tubes too. Guessing you swapped all the tubes, including Rectifiers and VRs left to right. That being the case the only thing I can think of besides something internal, is possibly a slightly loose tube socket connection somewhere, and maybe the cryotone tubes have a little bigger pins, or just made connection better for some reason, or by chance??? Hum can be a real drag I know! Glad you got it solved.

No expert, but my experience.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print