Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/04/24 at 10:58:20 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trick for Ideal Speaker Placement (Read 377 times)
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Trick for Ideal Speaker Placement
06/25/24 at 22:21:40

I came across this method on the Steve Hoffman Forums, using the stereo "Waterloo Sunset" to dial in your speaker placement for maxiumum stereo field without losing center focus. It works really, really well.

https://tinyurl.com/Hoffman-thread

I found a version of the song with isolated vocals, which helped me make out the background vocals a little better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U28s90uAfqg

Maybe this has been posted here before, but it is valuable knowledge if you haven't quite sorted your speaker orientation. Just thought I'd share!

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Space Tech Labs STR 1002; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Re: Trick for Ideal Speaker Placement
Reply #1 - 06/25/24 at 22:56:10

Hey bl, when I clicked on the link, I got an error message. Could be only at my end, but I thought I'd ask you to post link again.
Thanks, Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 06/25/24 at 23:15:51

This link should get you there Tony:

https://tinyurl.com/Hoffman-thread

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/26/24 at 00:17:49

Thanks, Lon! Also, for posterity:

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Space Tech Labs STR 1002; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
1stwattlife
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/26/24 at 14:17:56

A little while back I found a youtube video of a walk-around. I think the guy was walking around Tokyo. He used a nice camera on a gimble. Seeing a far away place as if you are walking around yourself is cool, but the stereo mic setup moving through ambient and direct sound fields was super useful for zeroing in speaker position as well.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/27/24 at 09:36:44

That sounds like a cool listen!

IP Logged
1stwattlife
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/30/24 at 07:08:57

I just played that track... seems to already be dialed in. I love hearing about checks, tests, and tweaks people use. There is a fellow on youtube who put it to a mathematical system/ process as well for folks who need an approach like that. You still need good test tracks tho.

Someone once mentioned Romantic warrior by Return to Forever. I listened to it and the album blew me away... I used it as my test album for dynamics for quite some time.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/01/24 at 19:31:33

I've never even heard of Romantic Warrior. I'll have to check it out!

IP Logged
LiquidBlue
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/02/24 at 20:51:06

A year or two ago, I came across a post somewhere about Jim Smith and his approach to speaker placement. Apparently after setting up hundreds of rooms he found that there was a common formula in the rooms that had great sound. He found that when you divide the distance between the tweeters by the distance from the ear to the tweeter, he came up with a figure of about 83%. Having already spent days and weeks playing around with speaker placement to get what I felt was good sound, I got out the laser measure and found I was just between 83 and 84%. So I guess for me, there was some validity. I’d since gotten his book, but haven’t yet had time to go through it yet.
https://www.getbettersound.com/
LB

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Omega Super Alnico Monitors>REL T7i
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - Today at 00:40:28

Quote:
A year or two ago, I came across a post somewhere about Jim Smith and his approach to speaker placement. Apparently after setting up hundreds of rooms he found that there was a common formula in the rooms that had great sound. He found that when you divide the distance between the tweeters by the distance from the ear to the tweeter, he came up with a figure of about 83%. Having already spent days and weeks playing around with speaker placement to get what I felt was good sound, I got out the laser measure and found I was just between 83 and 84%. So I guess for me, there was some validity. I’d since gotten his book, but haven’t yet had time to go through it yet.
https://www.getbettersound.com/
LB

I had to try this, what's better than a two minute test that will spin my brain for hours if the test fails? I've got 89 between tweeters and 73ish to my ears. 82% Thank goodness! When I set them up I was going for an equilateral triangle. Going with a 89" triangle, that puts the distance at 77 which it 86.5%, just scootch the chair a bit forward. I do move my chair back n forth an inch or two if the recording calls for it.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, UFO25, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - Today at 00:55:00

I tried the percentage method for a while yesterday and wasn't quite able to get it perfect due to some constraints in positioning my gear. But I have new stands coming at some point this summer and they are specifically designed (by me) to allow for greater flexibility in placement. So, I'll keep the equation in mind and try it when circumstances allow. Luckily, things are sounding very good right where they are at the moment.

IP Logged
LiquidBlue
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - Today at 07:51:05

Ultimately, the important thing is whether it sounds good to you in your room. There are always constraints you may have to work with and I’m not saying this formula is the end all be all. There are many other factors to consider, like distance to the back wall and side walls, speaker height and rake angle, different speakers may have different requirements to sound good and different rooms are going to have different needs to get great sound.

To clarify, the formula he gave was to divide the distance between tweeters by the distance from ear to tweeter, so your seating distance is actually the larger number to get to 83%. This seemed to work really well for me. Due to room constraints, I have to set up on the long wall. My speakers are pulled out where the tweeter to back wall is 40”. This was as far out as I could pull them and maintain decent bass. As they’re along the long wall, they’re not close to the side walls, so that helps reduce side wall reflections. The tweeters are 95” apart and distance from my ear to tweeter is 114”. So 95/114=83.3%. My speakers are slightly toed in, so when I use the laser measure, the tweeter is pointed 1ft outside of each shoulder. This is what works well for me with my current speakers in my room to get the sound characteristics I prefer. Your preferences may be different and other factors may be very different as well, so what works for me may not for you. But the 83% formula aligned with my many hours of fiddling with speaker placement, without having that knowledge prior. So maybe there’s something to it? I recently got new speakers and after a good amount of break in I began playing around with speaker placement again, to get the sound and imaging I wanted. During break in they were fairly close to where the old ones were, but when I started moving them around, I did so without preconceptions and based it on how the speakers interacted with my room. They are close, but not in the exact same position as the old speakers in the room and after measuring as outlined above, the numbers worked again, when I found the spot that sounded best. Actually I was close when it started sounding how I wanted, but I tweeked an inch here and there with the speakers and got to 83% and it seemed to lock in again. Bass is good and highs are detailed and not harsh. The center image is locked in and soundstage is big both in width and depth. I get a nice 3D presentation with great imaging. Then I worked on getting the sub dialed in to fill in on the bottom a bit.

I got through a little bit of his book and find there’s a lot of great info there. I’m sure there are other guides to getting great sound and different methods, but other than buying the book, it doesn’t cost anything to play around and may really make big improvements. Sean, sorry to spin you up again, but give it a try and see what you think. Don’t forget the blue painters tape to mark where you started, so when you find I've screwed you up more you can always get back to square one!! 😁

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Omega Super Alnico Monitors>REL T7i
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print