Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/29/24 at 11:15:23 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another Terrific Tueday at Decware (Read 744 times)
1stwattlife
Seasoned Member

Another Terrific Tueday at Decware
06/26/24 at 05:34:04

I love to write, but I suck at typing. One day I will have my thoughts more planned out, then I can use text to speech. Look out Decware forum and world, when that happens...  

I use the forum space here to help me process and log my hifi journey at this point. I have never needed to do this before. It has always been such a slow journey, and not really a main emphasis in my life. After reading some articles I thought I might see what improving interconnects and cabling would do for my modest systems that sounded good enough to jam some rock and roll fairly impressively. So many things always HAD to come first, though... so many times. I would be able to try this or that... someday. I guess I was never really chasing hi-fi. I was chasing mid-fi. And that is SO fine, if that is all you need in your world... The highest fidelity really isn't for everyone('s wallets). It always lived in a dream world for me, the hi-fi. Mostly because of price and availability, but also because of the transient-esque lifestyle I have as a non home owner. Quality weighs, and I have been lugging so many pounds of gear around already... what would I do with MORE, EVEN HEAVIER stuff!?!

As I was slogging through that preverbal forest one day, I stepped on a a branch to avoid a large puddle, and the branch broke! I lost my balance and fell off my path and tumbled deep into a long dark hole. Before I could open my eyes after waking up I saw a vison of a white diamond with a slash towards the bottom, then it vanished... I could hear the voice of an angel...

...actually it was Elvis (and later Jimi Hendricks, but that's another story altogether).

That was the moment my hifi fate changed.

Tonight, Terrific Tuesday Turntable Club was light on attendees and those who had shown up needed to leave a bit earlier than usual. We have been auditioning a new arm/cart setup for a few weeks, and it is going swimmingly. We had a really informative chat on phono stages, tape stages, and analog media, as we do from time to time, but this one really opened some doors of understanding for us. Some technical ones for me, but alot of of well stated user end for the other guys as well. It was a nice time.

The predicted storm was rolling through pretty good at this point. Thunder rolled, lightning crashed, sheets of rain broke across the roof.

Serious night. Serious weather. We figured better to hide from it this evening as we were a bit worn out and we decided to let it roll through, but to ignore it we would need to go all the way.

I think the Terrific Tuesday Turntable club afterparty should be called the AfterTape Society (unless I come up with something better). We already would have a bit of ritual built in, with the loading and cueing of tapes, I think all we would need is a secret handshake to make it official. Its a society, not a club... sounds more serious that way. The rubber meets the road here folks...

If fidelity is what you are looking for... these recordings, the good ones anyway, are the epitome of it. Why stop at the mechanical media? Skipping an entire non-magnetic step in the process can bring you to the edge of nirvana.

To chronicle the details of how tape presents itself would take a special session/s, which I plan on. As it is I just wanted to whet your pallet. Poke the bear so to speak.

I am quite tired... I think this is post 99 for me... gonna have to wait till later as I have amps to build for a bunch of lovely folks tomorrow.

chow

Keep on listening! I know I will Wink

IP Logged
1stwattlife
Seasoned Member

Re: Another Terrific Tueday at Decware
Reply #1 - 07/17/24 at 04:54:26

I was just thinking to myself...

Self: you should really try to keep all your Terrific Turntable Tuesday posts-its in the same thread.... you animal!

Up scrolled this thread... and, it had the perfect title...so, here I am...

I  am on my phone again, darn wifi went out on the laptop... that's a new one.   Whatever. I'm tired and need to get some rest, so from the phone it is.

Best TTT of all time? Maybe, time will tell... but, let me just say that the guest book may need to start a fresh page if we keep this up. Tthe re
Cord piles were huge! And there were some zingers in there. What made the cut was was a classic rock party creme de LA creme! I made a suggestion early on for a request that had been nagging at me... and it went over well. I am pretty sure there were a few records before it, but I admit I don't remember them... and then there it was. Aja: Steely Dan; UHQR. I have been staving off asking for this album to be-replayed on TTT,  all while  hoping no one else would the get the bright idea to play this particular album until this new setup was at least starting to break in. As fate would have it... this is the week.

It was good. It sounded amazing. Clear as a mountain stream, steady as a ...as a... hmm...

I rember getting level with the platter and watching the stylus in the groove. I could try to go on to explain the depth of sound stage and other attributes we commonly refer to about these things, but the real revelation comes the awareness of the sonic signature of a cantilever  imparts on the sonic characteristics of what is directly picked up though the stylus. I have been pondering it lighly as we have listened to this cart/arm combo ( definitely the secret sauce, very synergistic combo) for a while as it broke in. I finally " got it".

So, I really had to hold it together because I really wanted to freak out about it ( good revelations are few and far between sometimes... lol). I didn't want to loose my train of thought and not be able to hear it again, for no good reason, so I just kept listening. ..

** ethereal sparkles fall down a beam of inspirational light from the heavens**

You have to experience this setup to understand the benefits of its design. It's almost not fair to rate it alongside cantilever type cartridges. No, it's actually not fair... apples and oranges. Fortunately I love apples and oranges.

Spoiler alert: Aja was not the album playing when the deep hits of realization came to me. Someone else may want to break honey jar open on the album it was, so I will wait to opine on it later with a full keyboard...one thing that did pop out was the absolute linearity that has to be there for the timing and detail to be so rock solid in the mid range and vocals particularly.  

It just took me a full 60 seconds to figure out how to scroll back down after loosing g my place on this phone! I gotta go... what  a great TTT,  !

IP Logged
1stwattlife
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/17/24 at 17:23:58

I had to take a little time this morning to slow down and stretch my back out. I will be heading back into the shop soon, but had a brief thought to add to my previous sticky note.

A few months ago I became acquainted with the terminology of 'being the mic'. It is an eloquent way to refer to the phenomena of a time/space travel feeling of being a fly on the wall for a an event through its audio playback... Is there a terminology for something beyond that? I guess it would just be 'like being there' as if they are in the room with you'... but that is  weak sauce. The phrases have been used so often to describe sub par experiences that are just better than the usual and no longer descriptive of the absolute grandeur of the true high fidelity experience... sales pitches for brochures and flyers that merely allude to such things so that everyday mid-fi audio purchasers can validate enormous price tags... rambling more, sorry...

Do we need our own language? I think we need our own language.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/17/24 at 18:33:47

I think audiophiles do have our own language, it's just that a lot of it is inherited marketing jargon! My personal expression for what you are describing is "like sitting at the mixing desk." That's not much better than the verbiage you find objectionable, but I have some experience being in recording studios and that experience is basically what I look for in an ideal active-listening situation.

By the way, I have to ask, are the club events you describe real events? Your writing style has a hazy, experiential quality that sometimes sounds like creative writing journalism... I mean that in the best way, of course!

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/Reed 3P arm & Benz Micro Ebony cart; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm & ZYX Ultimate Exceed Airy cart or Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Lightspeed Attenuator; Space Tech Labs STR 1004 & 104; Sorcer X4+; SDFBs; Graphene Sluggos in all
  IP Logged
1stwattlife
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/01/24 at 16:29:10

I will take it in the best way, Thanks for the comment. I am not the best writer, but, I try to keep things interesting one way or another. I would much rather just answer direct questions..

Yes, Terrific Turntable Tuesdays is an actual event, weekly on Tuesdays. It started as just an evening for Steve and his old buddy Tim to hang out and catch up. I started joining them after a few weeks, as I was also separately acquainted with Tim through one of his sons with whom I have shared several mutual friends. After a little while Tim's son started hanging out on Tuesdays and bringing in his new and favorite vinyl, soon thereafter one of the other builders and another old friend joined the group and I believe five people (with regularity) is enough to warrant a proper club name, and possibly even a t-shirt... we shall see... I MAY get a little carried away from time to time.

But, the thing is that Decware audio systems are so good that listening experiences can get transcendental, not only without warning, as you can regularly find things that you don't remember sounding as good as they do, but,  on command as well, given you know the source material is good... To me it is like flying a spaceship... or something else almost other worldly. On top of that, listening in a custom built space that is made to be as ultimately revealing as possible really sets these experiences apart...

There is also the occasion that some of the observations and personal revelations on sound reproduction that I make may also stumble into an area covered by other threads on the forum to which I think they would make more sense as an add on idea to someone else's more sensible approaches, so to keep from repeating or spoiling things I just hold stuff back from some initial posts...

Ultimately, my general musings are just me trying to give form to the amazement I get from listening to world class analog audio reproduction. It really is mind blowing.

IP Logged
1stwattlife
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/01/24 at 17:05:47

As far as updates for the last two Tuesdays...

There has been a lot going on both around the shop and on the home front. I had a notable experience listening to the Weather Report live in Toyko the other night.... Albums like this really stretch my mind out. Firstly, this album was recorded at      Shibuya Kokaido Hall, Tokyo, Japan in 1972. It is the live recording of a fusion jazz group. The performance itself is outside of my comfort zone, but the recording is quite amazing. Listening to this album was a true exercise in active listening. Having never heard this particular album, the actual sounds coming from the band where the most crazy, insane, and intense noises that could possibly come from this instrument arrangement. This is where the recording really shines. It was as if the producer, tech, or whoever was responsible for the recording actually challenged the group to break his recording... and they tried, very, very, very hard.

In the usual Decware way I was able to separate multiple instruments from each other and follow them completely through their respective parts without the slightest collision of sounds or washing out of details through out the albums myriad of off kilter, out of tune, and generally non musical transients. Just mind blowing clarity, separation, and soundstage.

I am not going to say that this type of experience is worth it to every listener. It is a hard listen for someone, like myself, who only wanders down the road of acid or fusion jazz while looking over my shoulders like I am in a back alley somewhere on my way back to the well lit streets of more conservative jazz favorites such as Dave Brubeck, Art Pepper, and Sonny Rollins... I would say that I encourage you to give it a try sometime that you normally would pass.

I am not sure I would have been able to make it through the entire album if it was streamed, just as a side note.

On the home front I have started to test and setup my new turntable at the apartment... I am spinning a Thorens TD-125/ Mayware Formula 4 setup that is already showing great promise over my previous vintage tables. Hopefully I will get around to updating that thread soon as well...

Cheers

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 08/01/24 at 17:12:03

Cheers! Interesting reaction to that double LP for me as I bought this 2 LP set when it was a Japanese import back in 1973. After getting into Miles Davis a year or two before that during his most experimental period I followed the first Weather Report LP with great interest  (only the Czech bassist Miroslav Vitous and this drummer of Weather Report were not a regular of the Miles Davis bands of the time) and when I saw this (then very expensive) import in a record shop I went for it. I guess it was a pretty challenging listen at the time. . . but now I listen to it with familiarity and ease. . . and there are far more challenging releases for me to face and encounter.

A nice recording though of persons pushing the boundaries of their craft and navigating musical egos. . . I feel the engineers captured that well, as Japanese jazz engineers of the time tended to do. I need to pull this out and listen to it again soon. My 2 LPs have held up well over the years. . . I really respected my records then, even more than I do now.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
1stwattlife
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/02/24 at 00:01:04

As a first listen it is incredibly hard core. Now that I have a point of reference I can revisit the album here and there to see if any of it has settled into the wrinkles in my brain. Currently all I can view this as is a recording of a performance. When putting it up against things like Romantic Warrior from Return to forever... RW seems to be articulate and reaks of planning as one might write an orchestral piece... I get none of that from the weather report album. I will say that some level of it must be there as there are parts where luscious grooves emerge from the chaos. I think I may need an acid jazz mentor. Somebody to help me place the pieces. I had that with the grateful dead, a friend let me in on some of the backstory on the different eras and such. Changed how I listen to them. I want to find a Led Zepplin fanatic for the same reason. Never really got into them when I was younger.

Thanks for chipping in on that one Lon

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/02/24 at 11:56:02

Musical interests are so personal, aren’t they? I was never a Dead fan but after so many years and concerts there is a nostalgia there that give me reverence for the band. It’s not something I would put on my hifi but it is music that I love when I hear it on the radio or if I am out of the house and it comes on in the background.
Zeppelin is the same. I grew up on Zeppelin IV. Learned to play so many of those songs on guitar, Bonzo was such an innovative drummer… it’s just something that is beaten into you after years. Physical Graffiti was an album that changed their music for me as youngster, too. If you’re struggling to get into Zeppelin, try and give the album “Presence” a listen. It is generally considered among their worst albums but for me it’s one of my favorites. It bridges two generations. Or if you don’t like it, that’s ok too!  :)

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/02/24 at 21:41:56

Presence is among my favorites too Gilf. The very first song my favorite on that one. We do own all Zeppelin titles. Including DVD and blu-rays. We just listened to that entire album two nights ago. Fans since we were very young...  By the way. No grateful dead in the house/never cared for them. Same goes with later in our years with gunsnroses.  First time I heard that screeching green tooth stool sample , Axle R,, we were coming back from hunting in the middle of Nevada, finally picked up a station and heard what I actually thought was some sort of parody song of someone. Nope. found out a month or so later.. it was for real  :D  My GOD. Had to check for ear bleed... and then heard a destroyed version of Bob Dylans knock on heavens door   . ...should be ILLEGAL! Tongue              Just came back in.. HOT out here in the sticks...

IP Logged
1stwattlife
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/07/24 at 19:16:47

So, it turns out that the Weather Report album is a two vinyl set, I had only heard the first. I had a chance to finish listening to the second half of the album/ performance. I am much less mad about the whole thing. All together it is much easier to see the musical prowess that goes into making some of this stuff. I will say that had I not been hearing this on such a finely resolving system it may have been too much for me... that recording is really good, but adding chaotic sounds on top of system noise sometimes just grinds my nerves to their ends...

Hahahaha! That GNR story is great! I knew someone out there had to have that idea other than me. I feel the same way about Nirvana. THAT is what they were selling to my generation as the epitome of quality in rock and roll, everything has since been vague shadows of what once was.

IP Logged
1stwattlife
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/07/24 at 19:45:20

Side side note.

Wouldn't mediaphile be a more accurate nomenclature for our hobby. It really isn't all things audio... it's more media based than just "audio". The media and media related gear ( to listen to our media)... just sayin'.

IP Logged
1stwattlife
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - Today at 04:26:07

This weeks TTT was much needed.

Life, in all its glory has been a bit rough for a few weeks now. Tumultuous, some might say. It's not over, but I think I can see the end. We will see if the rug gets pulled out from under me again... the trick is on the universe this time. I have had this move pulled on me so many times I might not even know what solid ground is. I'm good at it with this much practice. Just like in the video games though, I sometimes need a recharge of my super power, and I got my full dose this week.

My thanks goes to my fellow vinyl visionary Ian this week for reminding me of the Wu-Tang themed albums by El Michaels Affair. We listened to 'Enter the 37th chamber". A jazz rendering of the classic hip hop album from the Wu-Tang crew "Enter the Wu Tang (36 chambers)". It and 'Return to the 37th Chamber' are great if your tastes cross boundaries, as mine do.

This was not the weeks notable moment though. I mentioned the trials and tribulations of the non-Decware part of my life for a reason earlier... and, here is why. I had been carrying an enormous amount of stress around for weeks. I have been unable to relax, as if caught in a continuing cycle of a regenerating fight or flight cycle. Before everyone showed up I had about thirty minutes of private listening after my shift. In this time I think I actually dozed off for about ten minutes. A well needed nap. The sound this week was the Decware experience I wish you all could share with me. It is deeply relaxing, rejuvenating, and washes over you and throughout the room as if you are being lifted out of your seat and teleported to a dimension in which our stressors have no power over you, at least for a short time. It is really a beautiful thing. I could wax philosophic about my opinions of the exact relationship between frequencies (which is so flat its almost silly), but the magic is in the larger picture. It is greater than the sum of its measurements that speaks to my inner self. We could talk numbers and measurements for weeks and never even scratch the surface of what I am talking about. Every Decware amp is capable of creating the magic. Given a corrected environment (treated listening space) what these amp are capable of truly blows mind over, and over, and over again.

After my 30 min session my muscle aches were drastically reduced. My headache was gone. my neck and back loosened up and my disposition and outlook had completely changed... and then my friends showed up. I was able to really relax and enjoy their  company. It was a fantastic evening.

Steve clearly made tweaks to the setup over the last week. It was for sure one of my top 5 listening experiences since I start at the shop a little over two years ago. All combinations of our gear sound amazing. However, sometimes a particular setup shines brighter than usual. This was one of them.

I am being intentionally vague. I don't want anyone chasing the wrong dragon. The implementation used for this circumstance may not do the same thing for you. The listening environment I refer to is a reference level listening space. It is designed to do this.

I believe that with just an average room and correct speaker placement you can deliver a solid 60% of the phenomena in your own home. With moderate treatment I am sure that you can jump up to 70% quickly, and with  extreme treatment up towards 90%.

It is those last elusive few, though, amiright!?!

I promise they are there... keep striving...

I think I may have an aneurism if I ever hit 85-90% in my own house... someday we shall see.

I know this esoteric type stuff sounds weird. Especially to ' measurement guys'. But, this is my real lived experience. I love to talk shop. OFC vs MCC, twisted vs Litz braid, Standard vs cryo, etc, etc, but that is NOT what this is all about. Its about the experience and I am so proud to be part of bringing this magic into peoples daily lives, into their own homes. I cannot thank team Decware enough for letting me be a part of this. All of them. Jake in shipping and Josh in the parts department are unsung heroes IMO. Sarah and Veronica are powerhouses that I did not expect, and Steve and Devon, well... they are very special people as some of us already know. I have seen some really great work from the build team and QC lately as well.  We all try to improve at least the smallest bit on every build, but the gains are really showing themselves lately in the implementation of Steve's designs.

I'm done. I have to get back to the real world and handle some business so I can go back to work to build more amps in the morning Smiley

Thanks for reading another one of my rants.

Cheers and goodnight

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print