Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Favorite 6CG7 tube?
07/05/24 at 11:03:55

After a lot of experimentation I've found that the 6CG7 tube is my favorite "driver" tube in my SEWE300B, or at least the one I like the most with the rest of the tube complement (6085 pinched waist, 75C1s, Sophia Electric Aqua II 274B, Black Treasure 300B-Z).

I've tried a half a dozen types and the clear stand out for me is a Sylvania gray plate. . . rich but dynamic. I've tried RCA clear tops, Westinghouse, and several pair of differently branded Japanese, and I have a pair of Raytheon Japanese on the way (should arrive today).

Anyone have a favorite brand and type of this tube that I can consider?

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Favorite 6CG7 tube?
Reply #1 - 07/05/24 at 15:20:54

I really like the 6CG7/6FQ7 in my UFOs as well. My favorite is the RCA black plate, ahead of the clear top and Raytheon/Matsushita, but they all sound good.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
STR-1002 -> Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 07/05/24 at 15:22:39

Thanks. My purchase record shows I bought a pair of RCA black plates two years ago. . . but I have searched and only found one tube! I'll be on the lookout for another.

I found the clear tops to be a tiny bit tart and on occasion "sibilant." Nice in other ways though, I'm hanging on to my pair.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 07/05/24 at 16:58:12

Hi Fellas. Hope y’all had a good 4th!

I remember talk of this tube in the past. James, what are your current input tubes in your UFO’s, and how would the 6CG7 compare?

These are so inexpensive, it warrants investigation Wink

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222/Zbit
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright)
Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-8b
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in Open Baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 07/05/24 at 17:34:59

My 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th have been and will be mostly dominated by three visiting from out of town groups of in-laws. For the most part that's a good thing.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #5 - 07/05/24 at 18:42:23

Thanks Geno, my current input tubes are a bit spendy: Tesla 6CC42 pinched waist, crossed swords. They've been there for a while and aren't going anywhere. They sound big, fast and transparent. I would say in contrast the 6CG7 are big and bold, and trade some transparency for a little more warmth.

Yes, you can find 6CG7/6FQ7 (I forget the exact difference between them, but they are essentially the same tube) very inexpensively, esp. compared to "heritage" 6922/7308 types. The RCA black plate and clear top are borderline heritage themselves, and are more expensive. I got a really good deal on mine, lightly used, at the start of the pandemic. But I would call the type a best buy today so hurry before they get discovered .

FYI/FWIW the tubes are the 9 pin equivalent of the 6SN7 and are pin compatible with the 6922/6N1P input tubes in Decware amps.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #6 - 07/05/24 at 19:53:40

As always, thanks James.

I just did some bouncing around the net, looking at the 6cc42. Have you ever compared to the 6n3p?

I have wondered this for years, but have never looked it up, but it seems like any tube type, with a “pinched waist” is highly regarded. Why is that?

Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #7 - 07/05/24 at 21:07:53

You're very welcome, always happy to talk about tubes . Even if it means hijacking Lon's thread.

Quote:
Posted by: Geno      Posted on: Today at 11:53:40

I just did some bouncing around the net, looking at the 6cc42. Have you ever compared to the 6n3p?

Let me say one more thing about the 6CC42. On my actual UFOs they were good, but not really a shortlist favorite. For whatever reason on the UFO25s they are in fact very much a favorite, but of course JMO/YMMV and all that.

So yes, there are several different 6N3P types and before the war I bought a bunch of them for like a buck each (yeah, the good old days). And, in  a word, they all sucked except for the 6N3P-DR which was very good. There is also the GE 5670 which are also nice, esp. the 3 mica JAN.

Quote:
I have wondered this for years, but have never looked it up, but it seems like any tube type, with a “pinched waist” is highly regarded. Why is that?

I have wondered exactly the same thing, and I have no answers. I'd speculate that the pinched waist were typically very early production (which is usually better) and maybe made with a little more TLC than when they were cranking out tubes by the millions. But it is worth remembering that in general audio was an after thought for these tubes and they were originally designed for radio (or later TV) transmission and reception or radar or electronic test equipment. So why some tubes "sound" better than others in general is another and perhaps unknowable mystery.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #8 - 07/06/24 at 00:17:30

Quote:
Even if it means hijacking Lon's thread

I’m sorry, Lon. No more of these questions Embarrassed

The original question was, of those that have used one, what is your favorite 6CG7?

Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 07/06/24 at 00:31:49

No worries, I don't feel anything has been hijacked here--and I like conversations that flow, even if they move elsewhere a bit.

To answer one question: I think, comparing tubes otherwise very similar, that "pinched waist" tubes tend to be less microphonic and perhaps a bit more 'focused.'

IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #10 - 07/06/24 at 01:10:15

CAJames-  you mentioned these are compatible in place of 6922 tubes in Decware amps.  Including my Torii Jr v2? Anyone try GE tubes?

Torii Jr V2 w/ Copper Bypass
Space-Tech Lab STR-104 Super Rectifier
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
SDFB w/Piggy and Silver Slugs
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #11 - 07/06/24 at 01:58:36

Quote:
Posted by: Hearafter      Posted on: Today at 17:10:15

CAJames-  you mentioned these are compatible in place of 6922 tubes in Decware amps.  Including my Torii Jr v2?

Yep.

Quote:
Anyone try GE tubes?

I have not. I wonder if they are actually another maker rebranded GE.

IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #12 - 07/06/24 at 03:14:05

The GE tubes I was looking at were grey ladder plates with the dot matrix date coding etched on them.  Sure looks like 60’s vintage GE to me.

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 07/08/24 at 02:26:07

Well, I'll soon have two RCA black plate 6CG7 to roll but in the meantime I went through about seven pairs of driver tubes and settled into probably the most unusual: a pair of Amperex 6085 used without the converter bases. As I guessed and Steve has told me these should NOT work in the Monoblocks I had before, and did, and do work here. And the sound is detailed and the soundstage is deep and a tiny bit of "forwardness" that the Sylvania 6CG7 pair had is gone. Listening to Keith Jarrett play nearly fifty years ago and the piano sound is vivid and quite realistic. Happy camper! Tuesday or so the RCA should arrive. They will have a hard time besting the sound of these 6085.

IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #14 - 07/09/24 at 02:28:54

Fist try at 6CG7 is a pair of ‘66, ‘68 GE grey plates that tested 2600+ NOS.  Sounded very nice but I still prefer my ‘65 Amperex USN 7308 and RCA Grey Glass 6SN7 in adapters. Some stiff competition…Next up- I have a pair of RCA 6CG7 Black plates in route. These should be a true test how 6SC7 tubes sound in my Torii Jr within my system.  I gotta stop buying tubes…😩

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 07/09/24 at 03:37:03

For me it's all about the full complement--with other tubes the 7308 and the gray glass have had the edge in previous amps.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #16 - 07/09/24 at 04:15:12

Amperex 7308 are hard to beat in my experience, but you pay for the privilege of listening to them.

I'm generally not a fan of GE tubes, so very interested in what you think of the RCA black plates.

Quote:
Posted by: Hearafter      Posted on: Today at 18:28:54

...I gotta stop buying tubes…

Yeah, you and me both . Pass the candle.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #17 - 07/09/24 at 05:08:06

We must all be connected on some unknown frequency,  my RCA black plates are due this week. They first go to my one remaining CSP 2+ - that still sounds great BTW. Then, they will stay in wait until Feb/Mar for the 300b.

I've got the Amperex 7308 in the UFO25 tonight that is in a groove.

Life's good:)

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 07/09/24 at 07:09:00

I’ve been curious about the 6CG7 tubes and this thread has brought that curiosity back up again. I’ve currently got a 60’s white label Amperex 7308 in my UFO25 and an Amperex PQ 6922 in my CSP3 and these have been my go to tubes in those positions. I was considering using a pair of 6CG7’s in the output position in my CSP3, in place of a pair of 6N1P’s. Is this a good spot for them or are you guys mainly using these as gain tubes, other than in the Sarah?

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Omega Super Alnico Monitors>REL T7i
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 07/09/24 at 13:55:21

Hey Liquid Blue. I have been using 6CG7s as CSP3 outputs for a while. Another nice flavor to play with here.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #20 - 07/10/24 at 02:51:40

Anyone know if 6GC7’s with 3 plates sound better/same/worse than 2 plates?  Any difference?  

CAJames-  these GE grey plates have grown on me or they are just sounding better with more hours on them.  I changed my rectifiers in my STR and they are sounding really quite good.  The reason I tried GE is this is the same gray plate vintage as 12ax7’s that were excellent- right up there with RCA blackplate 12ax7’s. At $20 /pair low risk.

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 07/10/24 at 04:00:32

Hearafter,

I was just completing the following "post of posts"... getting deep and wide as I explored with more articulation how to integrate 6CG7s more easily and gracefully here.

Before posting it, I checked and saw your question, so I put in the 3 plate Westinghouse labelled 6CG7s I have, and was a little shocked. As it turns out, the long post processes gave these tubes that were for me, too dark, warm and fuzzy early this morning, a still warm, but sweet and lively sound now. I have to explore more, but first impressions, they now sound big, extended, warmish, dynamic and resolving, while overall having spatial/harmonic things showing up nicely.

Not having listened to but a handful of test tracks, I am not clear they will play this way across recordings, but the signs are good with gain balancing for recordings. Not sure how much of this is the plates, as the tube construction is different in other ways than the other 6CG7s I have as well, but just now, they sound really good here.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 07/10/24 at 04:03:33

When I started using 6CG7s in my CSP3 power positions, I had been using early 60s white label Valvo E88CCs with hallow getters, a clear, neutral and resolving tube with good space and fine detail. The 6CG7s I tried first were some Emerson labelled Sylvanias I think, having a line of copper grid posts running across the middle of the top mica, the only construction difference I can see on the Sylvania labelled pair I have being wires connecting the filaments.  

I tried a lot of tubes in the power position early on, finally gravitated toward early 60s euro E88CC types. My Decware order having been for a CSP2+, the change to CSP3 happened as mine was built, so it is one of the 1st CSP3s... not sure how long ago that was, but quite a few years. So my preferences for system/room tuning came with a few E88CC/E188CC types as part "my sound." Mullards or Phillips SQs with parasol getters, the Valvos I mentioned, and Siemens, both with halo getters were primary for years, the Mullards warmest, and Valvos and Siemens, different flavors of resolving and neutral. At least with all else the way I like it, these give variations of useful dynamic and complete balances that allow complexities of fine detail, space and speeds.

With the Emerson 6CG7 in direct comparison to these E88CCs, it had a warmer/slower baseline sound, softer and more weighted toward bass, a little restrained/held back most everywhere. Still it was pretty resolving, and an oddity, compared to rest being a little slow and veiled, the mids/upper mids were pretty present... All combined, they made a warmer, milder and more euphonic sound that felt a little off to me with that mid compared to the rest discrepancy. With direct replacements here, this seems to be characteristic of the tube, some more than others, the mids/upper-mids tend to push through the comparatively slightly recessed feel of all the rest. Interestingly, the bolder focus in the mids on its own make the mids pretty similar to good E88CCs. But in this softer context, the mids can feel a little sharp/forward.

Listening to this description, I would probably not try these tubes, but for me they had compelling traits even though they would not have won with my usual preferences if I had stopped at direct comparisons to my favored clear and balanced E88CCs and all else the same. Wanting to see what was possible, I avoided E88CCs, and was able to get to know the new tube type and adapt...

The Emersons had pretty nice complex resolution, under their warmish/slowish veils still letting me into the music in less obvious ways, but enough to want to try to wake them up more. And though the mids tended forward in these balances, especially on open recordings, I liked a lot of those mid qualities...if a little too bold, not particularly consolidated and hard... more being out of balance with the rest to me.

So I worked with other tubes first. Having played with this component in this system a long time, my choices ended up being variations on what I had used for years... For inputs mostly some resolving and open earlier Mullard/IEC ECC88s, or PCC88s. And for a rectifier, different versions of RGN1064s, or variants of the same spec Euro tubes having different pinouts... AZ1 and AZ11. Over decades, lots of materials, designs, makers, and vintages, there are a lot of flavors of these types. In Decware, all need adapters and none are the same spec as Decware is designed for. These rectifiers are rated for 4 volt/1.1amp, another story!

But in this setup, they are nicely resolving, dynamically complex, and spacious with less power/push... milder even than GZ32s, and still a little warm, but with more space and complexity, they are beautiful to me as a flexible and not domineering basis for the rest... importantly, their revelation and balances allow flexibility for the rest, while showing all clearly.

I think especially since all my stuff has been modified for more easy flow, I need less push here, but also I have never loved strong rectifiers, feeling like I needed to work around them as much a with them, and ending up with more open GZ32s and similar for many years before these.

Powerful rectifiers can sound really good here, but they make all aspects of the sound a little too much for me in sort of hifi "wow" ways... Very generally speaking, more concentration and focus from everything being pushed harder by more power, from low bass to high-highs...the amp circuits pushing caps and tubes more, at some point this over-emphasizes everything. Taken to extremes here, an aspect of excess consolidation and density throughout, this finally throws off spectral balances with excess bass weighting and darkness damaging bass focus, speed, and textures...  and more darkness leaking into the mids, along with excess consolidation in the mids, subtle and complex information is slowed, darkened, and hardened... subtle musical information that is critical to me.

Anyway, with tubes in the CSP3 more optimized to accommodate the 6CG7s, they were more compelling, but still a little off to me... a little unbalanced... most of the range still a little held-back, and the mids tending a little forward in that context. As I resolved these issues with gain tuning, this made me wonder what was up, and made me realize direct comparisons without playing more specifically with gains was defeating.

It also reminded me that 6SN7s with adapters, electronically kin to these, though more even spectrally, they too were initially a little more restrained and darkening/dulling in direct comparisons to my cleaner E88CC types. This could be different now, my room and system a lot more alive and flexible, but back then, I never loved 6SN7s in E88CC/ECC88 positions, though with tube and gain adjustments I was able to get great sound from them that others might have loved.

This morning, thinking about LiquidBlue looking at trying 6CA7s in a 6N1P position, I broke my commitment to avoid direct comparisons to more stock-like tubes after just using 6CG7s for quite a while. I did some quick tests using some old Cryoset 6N1Ps, and the Mullards, Valvos, and Siemens I had used so long for CSP3 power.

That was pretty revelatory in more ways than one... With the system set for 6CG7s, those tubes all showed well balanced spectrally, but sort of wildly clear and resolving, and strange to me being that clear, mostly in good ways... good extension, dynamic and spacious, and still complex enough to not be hard for the most part. Feeling too clear overall all though, especially with this 6N1P, the mids could get a little harder a little easier. This reminded me that I liked that tube in this position when I first got the CSP3, with nice complex and open warmth, but it was a little rigid for me in the mids to upper mids, and felt a little truncated in finer detail... And even with this very open setting, though less, these qualities still showed some for me. The system, much faster and more resolving than those days, I felt like I could probably integrate the tube now, but usually with these exciting initial impressions, with known issues still hovering in the background, if close, I can solve some of that and make the tube sound pretty great.... but they don't tend to stay in, sounding good to me in most ways... but other tubes fitting more naturally and comfortably.

Wondering if 6CG7s might end up this way for me... I was thinking my next exploration should be more articulate gain tuning for the tube specifically. Having backed pre stage gains off a little while exploring the 6N1P some this morning, that gave me a good start I think.

To test the theory of refining gains more systematically compared to my usual spontaneous ways, I started with the warmer/fuller Sylvainia labeled 6CG7 in the CSP3, and working on the CSP3 gains. All else was a little milder balance of pre stage gains I had been using with the slightly more open sounding Emersons, relaxed some playing with the 6N1Ps ... the ZBIT pretty strong, between 3 and 4 o'clock, ZRock not far above unity with a nicely open 12AU7 (not a pumped up variant). From there, I adjusted the CSP3 gains to be a little warm without bass becoming muddled and creating mid masking, which was not so easy with this particular warm leaning tube... at the same time I was listening for livening up the signal as much as I could with natural density, dynamics and lucidity, while being careful to not overdo darkness or density that would consolidation and damaging complexity, openness, lucidity. In initial experiments, this was easiest by turning down the CSP3 input tube attenuators from 8 to 7 and the main gain pretty high, around 3 o'clock here...

Generally speaking, my pre stage gains turned up just so increase the signal power, ideally so that all is enhanced without imbalances. Taken too far, the denser/fuller/darker parts become domineering, at some point especially messing up the lower end of spectral balances. So in this system, where I have worked so hard on balances that allow most recordings to be beautiful in most balances (with gain tuning anyway), I do not need more warmth. Still, within reason, I can love a little more if I can amp up gains for lively dynamic lucidity without getting too dark. So I played a little with pre stages again, and things got even better.

This particular 6CG7 still showing some very minor darkish veil issues that by now I was pretty sensitive to, and my pre stages seeming to be tuned as far as I could without imbalances, I raised the amp gain a little, making the whole signal stronger/more defined, and it seemed to even up the sound while filling the sound space more...

Then, having established a new baseline of gains relationships, I refined other pre-stage gains further, tuning for roughly the same balances and information, while trying for more lucidity and dynamic complexity.

Finally, after all that, I thought I was seeking good balances, which is true. But now I am guessing that I have been more or less trying to give this tube the right juice to perform more optimally, while also trying to more fully resolve its warmth and bass weighting. Still warm, but dynamic, revealing, and pretty balanced throughout, the original anomalies are not really showing from recordings so far. Now I find these particular Sylvanias pretty beautiful, if a little warm for my tastes. And really, these tubes look new, so might get good for me with 50 more hours or so.

Then, warming up the Emersons again, with these same settings, still warm, but more open, dynamic, spatially alive and free... the sound is quite beautiful for me... a happy place of warmth that is alive and fresh. This could all change with more recordings showing imbalances I am not hearing now, but I have been using these tubes long enough that I think I am doing well toward optimizing the tube to my needs in this system.

So I have a better tube baseline and gain balances from which to tune for different 6CG7s and recordings. The gain balances are basically turning down pre-stages a little with compelling balances from how they work together, while giving more gain to the more neutral amp.

Just thinking out loud, but this tube is different enough from good E88CCs, that not doing direct comparisons, it was easier for me to find more complete balances and pull a deeper potential for beauty from the 6CG7.

I am thinking soundwise, this process may have been a lot about optimizing things for the different electronic draw of these tubes, or 6SN7s. And not having tested them today, from memory I think 6SN7s in these E88CC positions are different enough sonically from 6CG7s, that tuning around differences between 6CG7s and 6SN7s with tubes and gains could likely help balance differences from direct comparisons between them...not making the the same, but perhaps making them both "good."

I imagine this all may be a big deal for me in part because I have come to relatively hair splitting balances here, having worked on this system and room so long, and in so many ways. And so much of it has been adjusting the many little seeming things like resistors, caps, wires, connectors.... rather than buying new components and cables and all to adjust the system/room. Whether front end components, pre stages or amps, power, cables, speakers....   Changes have mostly been a progression of refinements of what was already there. So over time it seems I have gotten to know the sound in most of its complexities pretty intimately as I experience and tune the whole. Literally hundreds of little refinements over many years, all that stayed mattered in terms of refinement of the balances of balances.

Related, adapting to new things that change the balances can mess with the pretty refined balances already in place. But as my system refines, so do the tools I use to adjust balances day to day...  component settings and tubes mostly, but also power adjustments and cables...  So I can usually muddle through integrating new things that show signs of possibly improving the whole.

Lately I still see the vast balances that make the sound experience as complex in ways. But at the same time, I am finding it is getting pretty straight forward, the balances of balances powerful teachers. At this point, with complex spectral balances that are relatively neutral, not off in any notable ways, along with related speed balances and harmonic/textural/spatial complexity that balance across these spectral balances... These provide a foundation from which more open or warm, forward or more relaxed, more space and fine detail or more density, etc, can be tuned, while defining limits before things get off.

Then the soundstage is a final arbitrator, showing subtle issues by how the soundstage presents. When some things are little off, it can be really wide and less deep, usually from a little too much density here, and little too little harmonic complexity and space... And adjusting that, it can become closer to as deep as it is wide, while making day to day listening from all over the house more beautiful.

So the balances and how they play in the whole finally tell me what to try to refine, in ways making it a "self healing" process... Within the ranges that work well here, if something is a little off, it tends to finally show pretty clearly with attention, and I can usually find ways to solve it.

That said, I am always learning, and finding new ways to improve as my baseline becomes more real, so the beat goes on... like this exploration of trying to articulate how to integrate 6CG7s with grace here.

Related, this being a highly modified setup, in line with the usual variations we all experience in our varying system/rooms, settings and effects I arrived at here will very likely vary. But I imagine these principles should translate if needed.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #23 - 07/10/24 at 04:28:55

Quote:
Posted by: Hearafter      Posted on: Today at 18:51:40

...these GE grey plates have grown on me or they are just sounding better with more hours on them.  I changed my rectifiers in my STR and they are sounding really quite good.  The reason I tried GE is this is the same gray plate vintage as 12ax7’s that were excellent- right up there with RCA blackplate 12ax7’s. At $20 /pair low risk.

Nice. 20 bucks for a pair of like new USA made tubes that sound good seems like practically free these days. I really like the GE 5670s so I certainly don't think all GE tubes are bad.

Quote:
Anyone know if 6GC7’s with 3 plates sound better/same/worse than 2 plates?  Any difference?

I'm not a 6CG7ologist, but my understanding is the 3rd "plate" is a shield between the two triodes. Which is desirable, everything else being equal. But everything else is never equal, so I don't think there are any rules.

Now I've got to go read Will's post.

IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #24 - 07/10/24 at 05:20:10

Will- Many thanks for the 6GC7 3 plate update and your detailed write up.
Very informative and helpful.  Your description on how the 6GC7 sound is very similar to my short use with mine.   Once I changed the rectifiers and adjusted gain they improved.  Very nice sounding now.  Need more time to see where they land.

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 07/10/24 at 09:47:06

I no longer have a CSP preamp in my system and sometimes I forget and want to adjust the output and input on a component that isn't there. . . so used to it was I from years of use.

But it's not needed with the SEWE300B. Like Will my 6CG7 use has been tailored by experimenting with rectifiers and input tubes. I have found that the basic tube varies quite a bit by manufacture and "style"--a happy medium between too dark and too bright hard to narrow down. The system I have needs to be fed darkness in one of the tube components and the Sylvania 6GC7 I have are the best candidates so far. (I'm taking a break from them and enjoying the gentle resolution of 6085 tubes right now--used without adaptors). Today I should have a pair of black plate RCA 6CG7 arrive; I have not heard these in a long time and seem to have lost one of the pair I used to have.

IP Logged
Rhtubes
Verified Member

Reply #26 - 07/10/24 at 14:52:59

Lon, thanks again for all of your tube observations. Have you tried a pair of E180CC/7062 tubes in the 6922 positions?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 07/10/24 at 14:57:15

Yes, that is what I am using at the moment (6085) in the driver positions of the SEWE300B, without converter bases. They are not supposed to work there (my sense, and also Steve says so) but I used them for what probably amounted to years in my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks in the input position both with and WITHOUT converters, and really enjoy the sound. Especially without the bases.

And I used 7062 with converter bases quite often in the Monoblocks. The 7062 was used most often and successfully in the ZROCK2.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 07/10/24 at 15:03:00

You are welcome Hearafter. I just noticed I have a few 6CG7s in the gang PO boxes down the road where I get mail. One pair is a "NOS GE 6CG7 1960 Long Gray Triple Plates (center Shield) Halo Getters" that has some different construction from the Westinghouses I mentioned. I look forward to hearing and comparing.

That is funny Lon... going to change the gains on the CSP that is no longer there!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #29 - 07/10/24 at 15:39:43

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 06:57:15

...6085...are not supposed to work there (my sense, and also Steve says so) but I used them for what probably amounted to years in my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks in the input position both with and WITHOUT converters, and really enjoy the sound.

The 6085 has a 12V filament and I believe Decware amps run at 6V for the input tubes. Another poster, maybe Geno, was using 12SN7s (12V version of the 6SN7) without issues at one point in his UFO. It is certainly possible to use tubes at a lower filament voltage, the main downside (if they work at all) is the potential for "cathode positioning" because the electron emitting chemicals on the cathode are at a lower temperature then the design. But that is theoretical. Using tubes at a high voltage than the design is generally a bad idea.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 07/10/24 at 16:25:57

Yes. my knowledge and understanding as well. I think the 6085 are special tubes, and I like them best in 6V mode.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #31 - 07/10/24 at 18:36:34

Listening to the black plate RCAs right now. I had to boost the signal from the ZBIT but the sound is very good, dark and rich but dynamic. We'll see how they pan out as they season some. Right now I could go either with the 6085 or these, and the 6085 are hard to beat. The 6085 have a wider soundstage and more instrumental separation at this point--just a little.

Edit to add: after an hour of play I put the 6085 back in and they're going to stay for serious listening. . . just better with my current tube complement.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 07/10/24 at 18:40:07

CAJames wrote on 07/10/24 at 15:39:43:
Another poster, maybe Geno, was using 12SN7s (12V version of the 6SN7) without issues at one point in his UFO.

12SN7 would have to be run with a base to at least convert to 9 pin. These 6085 work without a converter (in part as they are 9 pin).

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #33 - 07/10/24 at 19:05:32

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 10:40:07

12SN7 would have to be run with a base to at least convert to 9 pin.

Correct, but the adapter doesn't convert the voltage. I only mentioned it because it is another example of Decware amps being, shall we say, flexible, when it comes when it come to running input tubes out of spec.

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 10:36:34

Listening to the black plate RCAs right now. I had to boost the signal from the ZBIT but the sound is very good, dark and rich but dynamic.

That would be a good three word description of them in my UFOs as well. Maybe "bold" rather than dark. I only listened to them briefly in my UFO25s and they were really good. I set them aside for later, but when I got to later I decided to go in a more transparent direction.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #34 - 07/11/24 at 15:27:07

Well I put more hours on the RCA black plate yesterday and this morning. Then I put the 6085 back in.

No contest--I prefer the 6085 for tone and texture. I'll keep using these until I can try some Amperex 6CG7 which are not easy to find inexpensively and I suspect will be significantly different to warrant trying.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #35 - 07/11/24 at 15:57:56

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 07:27:07

...until I can try some Amperex 6CG7 which are not easy to find inexpensively and I suspect will be significantly different to warrant trying.

Good luck with your search. I've had half an eye out for these for a long time myself but never found a deal worth pursuing. If you find some I'm interested in what you think.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #36 - 07/11/24 at 17:00:20

Yeah, not easy, and I'm now in no hurry. Looking for Holland made if possible, even more difficult. At least I've satisfied my curiosity about this tube type for now.

IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #37 - 07/11/24 at 19:45:16

Received my RCA 6CG7 backplate order  today only to find that they accidentally shipped me one blackplate with center shield and one cleartop grayplate with center shield. I thought what the heck let’s see how they sound together for fun.  Right out of the box they sounded very nice and I already prefer these Rca’s to my GE grayplates.  GE sounded good but a tad bright on the extended highs and the midrange just was missing that rich fullness.  There is just something a little off that’s hard to explain.  These RCA’s immediately sounded right.  Bold, rich, detailed in a warmer less bright way and that full sounding midrange with layers. Just to clarify the GE tubes do sound good but not quite as good as  the Rca with my ears and system.
The correct Rca blackplate shipped today and I look  forward to seeing how it compares.  The fun  and tube purchases never end. 🤪
Anyone else mix slightly different tubes within the same tube family with success?  I have had success wirh 6sn7 and 6922?  I do have my Kelvar vest on just in case😳

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #38 - 07/11/24 at 20:08:56

Glad the early returns on the RCAs are positive. Since you're half way there you might as well get another clear top to complete the pair.

Quote:
Posted by: Hearafter      Posted on: Today at 11:45:16

...Anyone else mix slightly different tubes within the same tube family with success?  

Yes. My (non-Decware) preamp uses a pair of 6SN7s for input. The 6SN7 is a dual triode, and the good ones have gotten pricey. But there are many single triodes that are equivalent to half a 6SN7 so a pair of them (with adapter) can replace one 6SN7 and that is what I've been hoarding collecting. So I have done mix-n-match single triodes, with good success. I compare it to blended Scotch vs. a single-malt matched quad. YMMV.

But I haven't done it in my Decware amps.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #39 - 07/11/24 at 20:27:25

Personally I would not recommend the clear top RCA as I find them brighter and a bit sibilant. . . . Just my experience with three pairs.

IP Logged
LiquidBlue
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 07/11/24 at 22:33:07

Will, thank you for the detailed post. I read through it again last night more carefully. Lots of great information in there! Your impressions are helpful to get a baseline to work with. Lon, yours as well. I have a pair of RCA black plates and a pair of RCA 3 gray plate tubes on the way to me and looking forward to trying them out.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Omega Super Alnico Monitors>REL T7i
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 07/12/24 at 00:40:41

You are welcome LiquidBlue. They are tricky tubes to me, but I am finding some real beauty with them the more I explore and burn them in... I think here they require my altering my usual patterns for gain adjusting that have been pretty dependable for a long time with "normal" tubes in the same place, setting up a learning curve. And this is compounded by the tubes having less flexibility for finding the right spectral balances along with the finer information, inner space and detail, and speeds I need in all balances.

Hearafter,

I think I may be hearing that GE weirdness in the detail you mention... not sure as I find it hard to describe too, but maybe it is characteristic of the make??? I have some different GE versions coming and can check that.... But these three plate tubes I am trying now are 1960 GE labeled, and they are not overall peaky or overblown with excess sharp detail for me (for the most part), the caveat being they can have strongly expressed detail that can be weirdly exposed in space if not tuned just so.

Power in my CSP3, as with other 6CG7s, a cleanish/fast background tube set, and gain balances are huge for me.

With enough clean push behind them, these GEs can be very revealing, but still pretty smooth. And if the gains provide just the right warming body while still allowing excellent lucidity and speeds, they are very musically present and revealing, with really good balances of balances.... quite beautiful here, including creating a good sound stage.

But getting to that place with them seems to require finding pretty delicate balances these tubes really need in my book to feel balanced, alive and real.

On the way to finding this, like other 6CG7s, this pair can easily be too soft/veiled/slow for me. Or if in a lucid/dynamic mode from tube and gain balancing, and without just the right body that is still neutral, but a little rounded with mild warmth ... then the detail shows a lot of information and textures, but with an odd sort of tinselly vibe, especially with some of the higher/cleaner parts. Particularly in textural information, if too fully surrounded by space, so "exposed," they show some edginess that is not particularly hard here, but can be strong in the balances, and unnatural feeling... How to describe it... subtly, maybe a little like very thin aluminum foil vibrating in the way they present stronger parts of the higher textures when set too clear.

Something like that...

But getting gains and tubes more right, with these same GEs, I am finding great beauty... not hearing weirdness... just pretty amazingly presented music that can cut through pretty dark recordings nicely, yet also make really clear mixes with horns or violins very live and clear but not hard (here at least)... pretty vividly real to me ...

Also I am wondering about burnin... I have maybe 20 hours on these now, and I think they are getting better beyond my learning to tune them, imagining some of the weirdness part may be need for burnin.

Still, 6CG7s seem to have a pretty narrow range they can really sing from in my setting, taking some work to get a handle on for me. But once there, that can be pretty beautiful in ways I have not heard otherwise in this system/room.... Not necessarily "better" but compelling and interesting. This is part of what I like about refined tube adjustments... getting different views into the music that might be close to equally "good," but different, causing me to wake up to the music in new ways that usually lead to learning new ways to make it all better.

Also, this thread stimulating me to try some more pairs, I get more clearly what Lon was talking about. The different makes are quite variable in my setup too, and with the challenges of tuning them in... an odd tube, but seductive once "there."

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #42 - 07/12/24 at 03:08:32

So I figured for completeness I ought to go back and re-listen to the 6CG7s in my current setup. FTR non-Decware pre with Super Tube Rectifier and UFO25s with Cossor 53KU rectifiers, Mullard EL822 power tubes, Sylvania JAN 0B3 in back Hytron JAN 0C3 in front.

I listened to the RCA Clear tops and Black plates and, neither of them sounded like I remember. The clear tops were like Lon described: bright (esp. on high piano notes) and sibilant. The black plates sounded good: big and sweet and airy, but lacking a little in dynamics and transparency compared to my favorites. I suspect different rectifiers and front VR tubes might change the equation more in favor of the 6CG7, because I remember them sounding better early on with the UFO25s, and much better with the UFOs. But I lost interest in the experiment and am going back to my Tesla 6CC42s.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #43 - 07/13/24 at 10:54:41

I revisited the RCA black plate 6CG7 and really explored gain riding and am getting a really nice sound--warm and dynamic, with perhaps a slightly recessed top end, which is never a bad thing in my system (I can get top end for days--it's the lower end I'm always looking for a great balance in tubes).

I think that these rival my Sylvania 6CG7 as driver tubes for the SEWE300B and a different window into sound than the 6085. I'm going to stop looking for 6CG7 tubes and enjoy these for a spell.

The SEWE300B is such a fascinating machine. Even more than the Zen amps I had these show you so many possible sonic presentations. . . it is sometimes hard to stand fast with even the very best as you have this sense that with the change of a rectifier, a voltage regulation tube, an input, a driver tube, a pair of 300Bs there is a revealing new signature to explore just around the corner. Not a bad problem to have!

I really am happy with the sound I have been getting this month. Time to focus now on why I am getting a channel drop out in my headphone only system that is irritating. I thought it was coming from my Bottlehead preamp there, but removing it has not solved the problem (nor changed the sound much, that sucker seems pretty darned transparent and uncolored). I now think it may be the volume pot in the PS Audio GCHA headphone amp. I'll narrow it down soon.

IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #44 - 07/14/24 at 03:33:34

Spent more time with the RCA 6CG7 Blackplates with center shields in my Torii Jr amp.  These are really nice sounding tubes you guys recommended.  I would not have come up with trying these in my Torri Jr. Thank You!!  They are paired with 4 Mullard EL34 xf2, 2 RCA VR150/OD3, STR-104 super rectifier. The one thing I did notice is these tubes sound better with more gain.  To get optimum SQ I have to play them louder than 6922/7308 variants.  Not an ideal tube at low volume.  They become soft/veiled, less detail and less dynamics/bass.  But with the right amount of gain/volume these tubes are excellent and keepers.

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 07/14/24 at 05:47:34

Just received my pair of RCA black plate 6CG7’s today and have had them in for a few hours now. My initial impressions were mixed. The issue I was finding was it sounded too soft and dynamics were reduced. I had not made any changes to settings on first listen. I am using the pair in the output position of my CSP3 in place of 6N1P’s that I have had in there for the majority of time. I’ve also tried pairs of 6N6P, several 6SN7’s with adapters and various 6922 types over time, but had settled on the 6N1P’s for the past few months. Once I boosted the output tube gain of the preamp a notch up I regained much of the lost dynamics. After a few hours of having them in there I am finding a really nice level of clarity and micro detail with these tubes. Instrument separation is excellent and the sound is spacious. Overall tone is pleasing and warm, without being dark. My preliminary impressions are good, but yes Hearafter, It did benefit from a bump in gain. Checking the data sheets, the 6CG7’s have a gain factor of 20, while most 6922 types, including the 6N1P are 33, which if my math is correct is a difference of 4db gain? So I see why they like gain levels to be pushed a little more than the 6922’s. I am able to listen at low volumes by reducing the master volume on the preamp and do not lose any of the clarity or dynamics. I’m going to keep these in for a while and play around with gain settings and try a few other rectifiers to get more familiar and see how they fare. For reference, the other tubes I currently have in there are a US Amperex 6922PQ input tube and an RCA 5Z3 rectifier. I should have the three plate tubes early next week to try as well.
LB

IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #46 - 07/14/24 at 16:25:37

Liquidblue-  Interesting results with your gain adjustments.   Just a different way to get the same results. I am using the 6CG7’s as input tubes in my Torii Jr. On my system I get better SQ results turning down my amp volume while increasing my preamp gain slightly and increasing the preamp volume control.  This appears to give the 6CG7 input tubes more current while the preamp provides more gain and the amp output tubes do less of the load.  
I find it very interesting how all our systems and components set up's vary and need adjusting in different ways.
Next up is rolling some VR tubes to see what kind of an impact that makes on these tubes.

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #47 - 07/14/24 at 19:31:31

Replaced my RCA VR 150/OD3’s  with Westinghouse OA3’s and yes that was the ticket.  Everything just opened up and improved with the same gain settings I was using for the VR150’s.   Conclusion: the OA3 voltage  is a much better match and brings out the best of the RCA 6AC3 in my Torii Jr. - nice tube synergy now.  Really am enjoying this tube set👍👍🤪

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - Yesterday at 06:14:00

Hey Hearafter. I actually did initially reduce the amps gain a little, when I boosted the output gain on the preamp, to compensate. Failed to mention that. I adjusted the master volume on the preamp for late night listening. Glad you found your tube synergy. I actually feel like I found mine this evening, as well.

Earlier, I swapped out the RCA 5z3 for a Cryotone 5U4G, which sounded similar, but good. I just swapped it for a Mazda GZ32 and WOW! Everything is just so right, right now. Goosebump city. That little bit of extra voltage did the trick. Different methods, similar results like you said. Think I’m going to sit with this combo for a bit. Don’t see need to change anything right now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print