Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Favorite 6CG7 tube?
07/05/24 at 11:03:55

After a lot of experimentation I've found that the 6CG7 tube is my favorite "driver" tube in my SEWE300B, or at least the one I like the most with the rest of the tube complement (6085 pinched waist, 75C1s, Sophia Electric Aqua II 274B, Black Treasure 300B-Z).

I've tried a half a dozen types and the clear stand out for me is a Sylvania gray plate. . . rich but dynamic. I've tried RCA clear tops, Westinghouse, and several pair of differently branded Japanese, and I have a pair of Raytheon Japanese on the way (should arrive today).

Anyone have a favorite brand and type of this tube that I can consider?

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Favorite 6CG7 tube?
Reply #1 - 07/05/24 at 15:20:54

I really like the 6CG7/6FQ7 in my UFOs as well. My favorite is the RCA black plate, ahead of the clear top and Raytheon/Matsushita, but they all sound good.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 07/05/24 at 15:22:39

Thanks. My purchase record shows I bought a pair of RCA black plates two years ago. . . but I have searched and only found one tube! I'll be on the lookout for another.

I found the clear tops to be a tiny bit tart and on occasion "sibilant." Nice in other ways though, I'm hanging on to my pair.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 07/05/24 at 16:58:12

Hi Fellas. Hope y’all had a good 4th!

I remember talk of this tube in the past. James, what are your current input tubes in your UFO’s, and how would the 6CG7 compare?

These are so inexpensive, it warrants investigation Wink

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222/Zbit
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright)
Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-8b
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in Open Baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 07/05/24 at 17:34:59

My 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th have been and will be mostly dominated by three visiting from out of town groups of in-laws. For the most part that's a good thing.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #5 - 07/05/24 at 18:42:23

Thanks Geno, my current input tubes are a bit spendy: Tesla 6CC42 pinched waist, crossed swords. They've been there for a while and aren't going anywhere. They sound big, fast and transparent. I would say in contrast the 6CG7 are big and bold, and trade some transparency for a little more warmth.

Yes, you can find 6CG7/6FQ7 (I forget the exact difference between them, but they are essentially the same tube) very inexpensively, esp. compared to "heritage" 6922/7308 types. The RCA black plate and clear top are borderline heritage themselves, and are more expensive. I got a really good deal on mine, lightly used, at the start of the pandemic. But I would call the type a best buy today so hurry before they get discovered .

FYI/FWIW the tubes are the 9 pin equivalent of the 6SN7 and are pin compatible with the 6922/6N1P input tubes in Decware amps.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #6 - 07/05/24 at 19:53:40

As always, thanks James.

I just did some bouncing around the net, looking at the 6cc42. Have you ever compared to the 6n3p?

I have wondered this for years, but have never looked it up, but it seems like any tube type, with a “pinched waist” is highly regarded. Why is that?

Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #7 - 07/05/24 at 21:07:53

You're very welcome, always happy to talk about tubes . Even if it means hijacking Lon's thread.

Quote:
Posted by: Geno      Posted on: Today at 11:53:40

I just did some bouncing around the net, looking at the 6cc42. Have you ever compared to the 6n3p?

Let me say one more thing about the 6CC42. On my actual UFOs they were good, but not really a shortlist favorite. For whatever reason on the UFO25s they are in fact very much a favorite, but of course JMO/YMMV and all that.

So yes, there are several different 6N3P types and before the war I bought a bunch of them for like a buck each (yeah, the good old days). And, in  a word, they all sucked except for the 6N3P-DR which was very good. There is also the GE 5670 which are also nice, esp. the 3 mica JAN.

Quote:
I have wondered this for years, but have never looked it up, but it seems like any tube type, with a “pinched waist” is highly regarded. Why is that?

I have wondered exactly the same thing, and I have no answers. I'd speculate that the pinched waist were typically very early production (which is usually better) and maybe made with a little more TLC than when they were cranking out tubes by the millions. But it is worth remembering that in general audio was an after thought for these tubes and they were originally designed for radio (or later TV) transmission and reception or radar or electronic test equipment. So why some tubes "sound" better than others in general is another and perhaps unknowable mystery.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #8 - 07/06/24 at 00:17:30

Quote:
Even if it means hijacking Lon's thread

I’m sorry, Lon. No more of these questions Embarrassed

The original question was, of those that have used one, what is your favorite 6CG7?

Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 07/06/24 at 00:31:49

No worries, I don't feel anything has been hijacked here--and I like conversations that flow, even if they move elsewhere a bit.

To answer one question: I think, comparing tubes otherwise very similar, that "pinched waist" tubes tend to be less microphonic and perhaps a bit more 'focused.'

IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #10 - 07/06/24 at 01:10:15

CAJames-  you mentioned these are compatible in place of 6922 tubes in Decware amps.  Including my Torii Jr v2? Anyone try GE tubes?

Torii Jr V2 w/ Copper Bypass
Space-Tech Lab STR-104 Super Rectifier
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
SDFB w/Piggy and Silver Slugs
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #11 - 07/06/24 at 01:58:36

Quote:
Posted by: Hearafter      Posted on: Today at 17:10:15

CAJames-  you mentioned these are compatible in place of 6922 tubes in Decware amps.  Including my Torii Jr v2?

Yep.

Quote:
Anyone try GE tubes?

I have not. I wonder if they are actually another maker rebranded GE.

IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #12 - 07/06/24 at 03:14:05

The GE tubes I was looking at were grey ladder plates with the dot matrix date coding etched on them.  Sure looks like 60’s vintage GE to me.

Torii Jr V2 w/ Copper Bypass
Space-Tech Lab STR-104 Super Rectifier
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
SDFB w/Piggy and Silver Slugs
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - Today at 02:26:07

Well, I'll soon have two RCA black plate 6CG7 to roll but in the meantime I went through about seven pairs of driver tubes and settled into probably the most unusual: a pair of Amperex 6085 used without the converter bases. As I guessed and Steve has told me these should NOT work in the Monoblocks I had before, and did, and do work here. And the sound is detailed and the soundstage is deep and a tiny bit of "forwardness" that the Sylvania 6CG7 pair had is gone. Listening to Keith Jarrett play nearly fifty years ago and the piano sound is vivid and quite realistic. Happy camper! Tuesday or so the RCA should arrive. They will have a hard time besting the sound of these 6085.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print