Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/14/24 at 23:02:05 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stack Audio-SmoothLAN Network Filter (Read 612 times)
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Stack Audio-SmoothLAN Network Filter
07/06/24 at 21:57:04

I thought I would share a recent tweak I picked  up on from an Audiogon thread.  I had another “Oh My” moment similar to the Snubway results.  It’s the Stack Audio-SmoothLAN Network Filter.  Ships from England with a return guarantee. I have tried several ethernet filters IFi, pink faun, AQ with no improvement.  This one made a noticeable improvement I did not expect.
My set up:  Mesh router-ethernet cable-FMC-optical cable- FMC- ethernet- SmoothLAN-smoothLan ethernet cable- Bricasti streamer

https://the-ear.net/review-hardware/stack-audio-smooth-lan-open-streaming/?fbcli...
d=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0_jzoouYEdlaZKiV1IosB1XLIpPYqmcIPZdVl9tZhy1woM_qqYpyhqZkY_
aem_AfoNmd6yqps5J0fLXlM_DNP-UYXiJnpS6nc5p7By6suFZwGjNajTnpcMJawcE0Lwar6gDVPadtp_
A3Mp_JsfXB1j

Torii Jr V2 w/ Copper Bypass
Space-Tech Lab STR-104 Super Rectifier
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
SDFB w/Piggy and Silver Slugs
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: Stack Audio-SmoothLAN Network Filter
Reply #1 - 07/10/24 at 14:01:46

Just read the description in the link.  Very cool.   This is one area I have yet to explore but have been interested for quite some time.  My entire house has networking cable in every room in addition to running POE security cameras.  SFP connects my switch to my NVR.   I have a a 5 port POE hub that feeds my laptop, Raspberry Pi, TV , and other devices.  I’m sure this would be a great place to install one.  

Thanks for the info….when I’m ready to jump in….I’ll give this one a consideration.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable, White top ZP3, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/16/24 at 18:56:44

So as of late, I am a big fan of Stack Audio Equipment footers (AUVA EQ) and I’ve had expanded these footers to my DAC, Streamer, and Switch.  

The SmoothLAN was on my radar, but I was pining for the 10x more expensive Muon Pro filter.  Not sure if I want to spend that kind of dough on a Network filter after acquiring the PNET and the Teddy Pardo for my upstream Netgear Switch, so I just decided to pull the trigger on the SmoothLan.  There seems to be a lot of demand for it as the dispatch time is 2-3 days from order date, so that’s a good sign.

It should be here next week.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
miajackson1117
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 08/05/24 at 10:09:20

great!
quite interesting article

IP Logged
miajackson1117
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 08/05/24 at 10:10:39

I am here looking forward to your next post. Thanks

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/07/24 at 02:13:40

I totally forgot about this thread.  I did mention my positive experience with it in my Sarah thread and a private convo with a forum member.  

I’ve had it for two weeks with limited listening sessions, but to me, the SmoothLan erased a hard edge to the notes that I didn’t know I had without over smoothing anything.  There is also a veil lifting experience with even more clearer, in the room vocals, and increased resolution due to a blacker background.

That said, I’d still give the nod to Stack Audio’s AUVA EQ footers.  Those were a game changer over the shitty isoacoustics I’ve had for 2 years.

Big fan of the brand.

Kamran

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 08/07/24 at 15:55:16

Kamran….we must be on the same wavelength.   I was reading this thread yesterday and was looking for an update from you.   I actually was going to call/text you yesterday, but the day got away from me.  Glad to hear that you had a positive experience with the SmoothLan.  

My 24 port network switch feeds a line to a 5 port POE switch that handles my Raspberry Pi, a laptop housing my Roon core, and a security camera.  There’s no doubt in my mind that the signal feeding my system is not optimal.  Sounds like the SmoothLan is just the ticket.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable, White top ZP3, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/07/24 at 21:57:41

Dom,

The only caveat I would mention in your case is that the smoothlan is capable of handling data speeds up to 100Mbps, which is fine for Hi-Fi.

Therefore, putting it in front of any gear that relies on higher speeds is going to have a negative impact. This is why, my filter is between my Phoenix Net switch (also capped at 100 Mbps) and streamer.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #8 - 08/07/24 at 22:37:55

Kamran,

Ah…got it.  Very good to know.  My Unifi switch is a Level 3 fully managed switch, so I would just need to go into the UI and change that port to the 100 Mpbs.  I kinda hate limiting the throughput though…especially since it could negatively impact the security camera that captures my living room….unless I change that camera out to a WiFi camera.  I run an SFP connection from my Unifi firewall to my Switch…so it looks like it may take some fiddling to hone in the place to add the device.  

I’m starting to have my weekends off…so I’m going to give you a shout to work on coordinating a day that you could come over for a listening session.  If your SmoothLan is not permanently mounted, maybe you could bring it with you so we could try it out to see how it impacts my system.  

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/08/24 at 02:25:57

Yup—more than happy to bring it over.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #10 - 08/08/24 at 02:42:42

Cool.  That would be great to see how it impacts my system.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/08/24 at 18:35:39

Kamran

Thanks for the additional information on the SmoothLAN Ethernet filter 100Mbps limitation. While my CXN V2 upsamples I am wondering whether placing the filter between my laptop and CXN V2 will adversely effect my sound quality.

I sent an email to Josh as Stack Audio uses a Cambridge Audio EVO 150 in the listening system. He's on annual leave right now, so I'm going to hold off on ordering so I can sort this potential issue out.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart & Modwright PH 9.0XT phono preamp OR MWI modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th A preamp > ZMA-25th A amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > SDFB's > SRA & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 08/08/24 at 19:58:56

Sure Roger—Josh is awesome and he will sort you out.

As long as only the streamer is seeing 100MBps, it should be fine as that is more than enough for Hi-Res streaming.  The problem arises when the filter is placed upstream of another device, which relies on faster speeds.

For example, I was thinking of potentially (emphasis on potentially) adding a second one before my first switch and then I immedieltely realized that was a bad idea since that switch feeds my Apple TV, TV, and Denon Receiver and Philips Hue lights.  That would negatively impact video streaming.  However, I could insert the second one (after) in to the Netgear ethernet slot that connects exclusively to my Hifi.  

So the path would be Netgear—SmoothLAN—-Phoenix Net—SmoothLan—Streamer.

All the other slots would remain unaffected, capable of up to 1 Gbps.

IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #13 - 08/08/24 at 20:48:38

My experience having the Smoothlan on both my main 2 channel system and my Home Theatre/ 2nd audio system. Is they certainly improve the SQ and they sound best feeding right in front of the streamer.  Mine lost SQ when installed in front of my EtherRegan switch.  Much better after it.  I would think the Smoothlan would be ideal between a laptop and streamer.

Torii Jr V2 w/ Copper Bypass
Space-Tech Lab STR-104 Super Rectifier
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
SDFB w/Piggy and Silver Slugs
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/08/24 at 21:15:09

Thanks for the info Kamran and Hereafter. Makes sense. I'm planning to put it in front of my Cambridge Audio CXN V2 streamer/DAC.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart & Modwright PH 9.0XT phono preamp OR MWI modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th A preamp > ZMA-25th A amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > SDFB's > SRA & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
ChrisC

Reply #15 - 08/08/24 at 22:38:59

HK, as I have the same streamer I will be very interested to hear your feedback on SQ.  Trust you are well!

ChrisC

Smiley

CXC, CXN (MWI), ZROCK2, Aric Audio Unlimited, Rachael, Omega CAMs
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - Yesterday at 12:57:49

Just ordered a Stack Audio SmoothLAN network filter and set of the AUVA EQ isolators. Should have them in the system in a week or so. Isolators will be going under my modified Cambridge Audio CXN V2 to compare/contrast with my Daedalus isolation devices.

HK

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print