Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/16/24 at 06:28:15 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii MkV or Sarah 300B? (Read 87 times)
KarlU
Verified Member

Torii MkV or Sarah 300B?
07/12/24 at 17:30:33

Old guy, originally introduced to tube gear learning to bias my Deluxe Reverb, and my father’s Eico ST70.  Been lurking on the forum for a few years now, after discovering the Taboo III (& LCD-2 phones), then acquiring CSP3 & ZP3 (Rega P3 & Exact, with GrooveTracer).  Had my Ohm Walsh 2’s for 40 years (still have 2 sets), until I found a pair of ERR’s.  Use to run with a Nikko Alpha & Beta SS rig, but have been enjoying my Taboo driving the ERRs for about a year now, listening at ~75-85 dB (very happy)!   On the list ~150 for a Torii MkV & ZRock3 and thinking the additional power and similarity to design of the Taboo makes sense.  As I approach my final discussion with Sarah, now wondering about the Sarah amp (and 300b tubes), and whether 5-7 watts is enough headroom for the ERRs (as I’ll hopefully hang on for another 40 years, and keeping the Ohm speakers ~86dB)?  I understand how room treatment & psychoacoustic differences (remember old guy) affect the sound, but thought I’d reach out for some insight, advice or opinions?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Torii MkV or Sarah 300B?
Reply #1 - 07/12/24 at 19:07:48

I would say if you're happy with the Taboo driving the ERRs then you'd be fine with Sarah. Another poster, Dominick aka Dom, uses 2 UFO amps with his ERRs, so 5ish watts and he is also very happy. But if you want to drive mid-80s dB speakers that might be pushing it. Of course if you're going to be listening for another 40 years you're also committing to buying 300B tubes for that long, so that might be something else to consider.

But, I think the bottom line is you can't go wrong with either amp. The Torii will certainly give you more flexibility with speakers, but if you really want a 300B amp I'm sure you can make it work.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
STR-1002 -> Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
KarlU
Verified Member

Re: Torii MkV or Sarah 300B?
Reply #2 - 07/12/24 at 21:24:35

Yes, understand and thanks!  I am on a fixed income, and don't really like cat food, so not sure I could afford the tubes... I acquired the Taboo for phones and was running solid state (PassLabs etc.), tried Taboo with the ERRs and pushed aside (and sold) the transistors (but kept the Ohms), and never looked back.  Amazed by the quality of the sound!  I never thought I'd consider 20 watts a big amp... Thanks again! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print