Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/14/24 at 23:24:03 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lii Song ZF15L First Impressions (Read 734 times)
Doug
Seasoned Member

Lii Song ZF15L First Impressions
07/18/24 at 17:17:34

Lii Song's version of the ZF15L speakers are jaw-droppingly beautiful!  The high gloss finish on top of exquisite hardwood veneers make these speakers extraordinarily appealing visually.  

The baffles are just shy of one and three quarters inches thick.  The metal bases look substantial on the Decware and Lii Song websites, but in person it's easy to imagine them being used in some kind of industrial application where they are used to support thousands of pounds.  The adjustable floor spikes measure four inches tall by an inch and a half wide.  

How do they sound with fourteen hours of break-in?  They are dynamically explosive!  They are also unbelievably fast! Their explosiveness and speed has already frightened me a couple of times while I was standing close to them.  Break-in is being accomplished with a LFD NCSE amp, which is being fed by an OPPO 103 disc player.  

Instrument and vocal timbre is excellent!  The realistic timbre is, however, as much to do with the LFD amp as the speakers, as it presents timbre better than any amp I've ever heard. Nevertheless, only when really good speakers are coupled with it do I get the sense of live musicians and singers being present, and that's what I am hearing from the garage as I sit at my kitchen table.

I wonder how much improvement I'll hear when I take them out of the big plastic bags and out of the crates where they are firing straight down into two and a half inches of dense styrofoam padding, a half inch of plywood, and the concrete garage floor.  I have pulled back the large plastic bags on both speakers to expose the binding posts and approximately one fourth of the back side of the speaker cones.  The amount of music coming from this small portion of the back side of the cones is amazing.  It's clear that these things are going to give my PAP Quintets a run for their money!  

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Re: Lii Song ZF15L First Impressions
Reply #1 - 07/22/24 at 05:55:20

Doug, thanks for sharing your first impressions—very intriguing.

Is this for your second system or do you plan to keep one pair of speakers at the end of the day?

Those crates are massive!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
mrchipster
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 07/22/24 at 15:51:11

Thanks for sharing your first impressions of the ZF15L's.

Great story. I especially liked how you described the awesome sound qualities of the pair, only to later spring on us that they weren't even out of the box at the time! Very funny and witty.

I agree with Kamran that those crates are huge but will give you the ability to ship/move them when and if the time comes.  (Storing them is the only issue I guess)

Keep us posted with more impressions and pictures when you get a chance.

SE84UFO25 - CSP3 (A-mods)
ZROCK2 (A-mods) - ZBIT
Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (ModWright)
Cambridge Audio CXC
Zu Audio Soul Supremes
VIABLUE IC's & Spkr cables ; DSR3 IC's
Audio-Technica TT
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/23/24 at 01:55:26

There are no plans for a second system, and there is not enough space to keep two large speaker systems.  Hopefully these ZF15Ls will perform at a level that competes with the PAP Quintets, as I would like to simplify my system.  Initially I thought bi-amping was the way to go, but I find myself longing for a simpler set-up.

The ZF15Ls now have 120 hours of garage burn-in, and will be moved into the listening room tomorrow or Wednesday. Based upon others' comments on how long it takes for the Fast 15 to come into its own, some degree of patience may be needed over the next few weeks.  Looking forward to really hearing them.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/23/24 at 02:51:14

So if I recall correctly with my Fast 15’s, it took about 200 hrs for the bass to firm up, and another 200 hrs before it completely settled in.

I’ll be amazed if it outperforms the Quintets.  Could not have fathomed that in my wildest imaginations.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/30/24 at 18:34:48

Here are a few observations on day 7 with the Lii Song ZF15Ls in the main system.

The hardwood veneer and high gloss finish is more beautiful than previously thought.

These speakers are quite heavy, weighing in at 165 pounds each.  PAP Quintets at 7 feet tall weigh only 148 pounds.

The Fast 15s are aptly named; they are so fast; we're talking Lowther speed.  Percussive attacks are probably the best I've ever heard.

As stated earlier, when I was breaking them in face down in their crates, these things are dynamically explosive.  Their ability to instantaneously go from soft to super loud, and vice versa, is as good as I've heard.  

The most surprising aspect of their performance is the treble and midrange detail.  I am hearing micro detail that I've not heard with my PAP Quintets.  Not sure how a 15 inch full range driver accomplishes this.

The ZF15Ls make most music sound more like live music than the Quintets do.  The Quintets are definitely more polite than the ZF15Ls.  The Lii Songs lean toward sounding a bit wild and raw, much like Lowthers.  

In my room the ZF15L's sound stage is significantly shorter than that presented by the Quintets.  It can be taller than the speakers themselves, but does not approach the realistic live music height of the Quintets.  Other than the height, the sound stage is wide and deep with great instrument and vocal separation.

The bass.  It's coming along.  With approximately 300 hours of break-in time, the bass is better than it was a week ago, but it seems that it is not what it can and will be.  

I could provide much additional detail, like how these speakers slay drums and cymbals, but it might be best to give them a few more weeks prior  to delving into further details.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 07/30/24 at 20:00:56

Doug,

The speed comes from the low moving mass of that particular 15 inch driver, which is 17 grams and the absence of a crossover.  The thick baffle and steel base are more rigid than most open baffle speakers.  A single driver makes the speed of all frequencies the same vs. faster highs and slower lows common in multi-driver speakers.  A typical Morel 10 inch woofer has a moving mass of 150 grams.  I suspect the hi-Q version they made for PAP is lower than that but still no where near 17 grams.

Sound stage height can be achieved two ways depending on your room and how far back you sit.   When the speakers are 90 degrees to the floor, and you're sitting farther back, the rear of the speaker reflects off the wall behind it and that elevates the sound stage.  However sometimes (especially if you sit close) having them angled back works better in which case the sound stage elevates due to the sound coming off the front of the speaker instead.

You can use the upload images button above the message editor when you post to include pictures.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Mike H
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 07/30/24 at 23:59:10

I have a pair on order and was one of the first 5. Mine are on a ship somewhere between California and New York. Didn’t realize how heavy these were. Glad to hear they’re sounding great thus far Doug. Looking forward to hearing more of your impressions as they continue to develop. Also looking forward to receiving mine!

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/02/24 at 16:15:17

There's no time to write any real detail today, but I do want to say this; for $2,000 plus another couple hundred for shipping, you get a shockingly good pair of loudspeakers!  Steve, himself, called them "a deal of a lifetime" when he notified all of us regarding their availability via email just eight weeks ago!  These things are super good!

More detail to come as they continue breaking in.......

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
DJFreon

Reply #9 - 08/03/24 at 16:58:50

Hi Doug,
The speakers look great!
Is there any manufacturer ID on the mounting feet? I would like to buy something like those for my S-10 open baffles.
I'm a big Lii fan!
TX J

Allen & Heath Xone 92
TAD TSM-300 Willsenson R8
KRK V88 ESS AMT x 4, Bi amp tube amps, Dr. Bag PP amp Douk KT88 fed DBX 234 Lii 10S SEUFO84
Douk B300 mono blocks tube amps ESS AMT 3
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
DJFreon

Reply #10 - 08/03/24 at 17:00:53

Doug, Post more pictures of these beautiful design.

Allen & Heath Xone 92
TAD TSM-300 Willsenson R8
KRK V88 ESS AMT x 4, Bi amp tube amps, Dr. Bag PP amp Douk KT88 fed DBX 234 Lii 10S SEUFO84
Douk B300 mono blocks tube amps ESS AMT 3
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/10/24 at 22:13:34

At 600 hours in I decided to re-insert the PAP Quintets and it became immediately obvious that they are the superior performers.  Here are a few random thoughts on the performance of the ZF15Ls and the Quintets.

I hear a wider, deeper, taller, more realistic soundstage with the Quintets. I also hear significantly better vocal and instrument imaging/placement on that soundstage.

Having listened to a dozen or so recordings since yesterday afternoon, from a variety of musical genres, I find the Quintets to be quite remarkable in that they capably handle all types of music at a very high performance level.  

To my ears, in my smallish room, the ZF15Ls are more akin to Klipschorns, Zu Definitions, and Azzolina Audio Gran Sferas (all of which I've owned); they sound fantastic with certain styles of music, but not quite as good with other music.  The Klipsch, Zu, and Azzolina Audio speaker do cost 8 to 12 times as much as the Lii Songs.

The Lii Songs are more dynamically capable than the Quintets with certain types of music, but the Quintets play louder denser music with far more clarity and control.  The ZF15Ls became a bit congested when playing  certain louder, more complex music passages.

One of my favorite genres of music is solo classical piano.  In my room, to my ears, the Quintets easily outperform the ZF15Ls.  The Lii Songs might have a very small edge in detail, but the Quintets are the easy winner when it comes to reproducing the bottom two octaves of a concert grand piano.  

A super fun recording is Bucky Pizzarelli's Nirvana album.  It has lots of hot closely miked solo drum work that shows off the ZF15L's speed, dynamics, and slam.  I haven't mentioned slam up to now, but let me tell you, these Lii Songs have real ability to hit you in the chest like no other speaker in their price range.  I queued up my favorite seventies rock demo disc, Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, and cranked it up to well over 100 decibels.  The ZF15Ls played Money for Nothing with clarity, great bass, nice vocals, and real slam.  

Here's an interesting difference in how the two speaker systems work in my system.  With my Quintets I seldom, if ever, turn my ZROCK2 control knob past the 1:30 mark, but with the ZF15Ls the ZROCK2 was always set between 2:00 and 3:30.  Fortunately, even though the ZR2 is cutting high frequencies at this setting it never reached a point where I felt I wasn't hearing enough high frequency information.  I'm guessing that's because the ZR2 is pretty much flattening out the tipped up mid and high frequency response of the Fast 15 drivers.  If you have a ZR2, these can be great rock and roll speakers.

Here's my final performance comparison today.  The Quintets are invisible on nearly all recordings.  Though the ZF15Ls disappeared on many recordings, their ability to vanish is not nearly as consistent as the PAPs.  It could be my smaller 18' x 13' room; it could be that I didn't work hard enough to find their best position, it could be my 8' ceiling; whatever it is, I could not dial in a consistent disappearing act.

I've done a ton of listening this past week and I'm ready to declare the Quintets my clear winner.  I have remained mindful, however, that the Quintets cost six times as much as the ZF15Ls.  Does that make the Quintets under-performers?  No!  I actually view them as huge over-performers at their price point.  So where does that leave the $2,000 per pair Lii Song ZF15Ls?  They are EXTREME over-performers.  I've owned a number of speakers in the $2,000 range over the decades, including my current family room speakers, and none of them comes even remotely close to realistically competing with the ZF15Ls.  The ZF15Ls are extraordinarily special!

I'm very glad to have satisfied my curiosity, but with the Quintets being the much preferred system, the Lii Songs will likely be going up for sale in the near future.  I simply don't have room for two large speaker systems. If I sell them, I'll list them here in the classifieds at a very low price point.  Happy listening to all!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 08/11/24 at 03:09:30

Hey Doug,

Thanks for the detailed review. I have a couple of pairs of Lii Audio drivers, and have been very impressed with them, especially considering the price.

Randy

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #13 - Yesterday at 22:34:31

Just for clarification, The Decware ZF15L do not come with the Fast15 drivers.  They come with the F15 drivers which are quite a bit better in my opinion.  Apparently Lii Song allowed you to choose the Fast 15 drivers in place of the F15 on the model you purchased from them.  The Fast15 require a network to flatten the response and even then, the bass while lower, lacks speed and punch by comparison.  This is all well documented on this forum, but for those just tuning in I think it is important to understand this review is not using the correct driver to be called a ZF15L.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - Today at 00:39:14

When reading this thread, I also wondered why these Lii Song assembled speakers could ever be called ZF15Ls considering the are assembled with MDF baffles.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #15 - Today at 03:31:03

I was just on the Lii Audio website, and these speakers are sold with the Fast-15, exclusively. The F-15 is mentioned in the description, but they state that the Fast-15 is an upgrade of the F-15, so that is how they sell the unit.

Looks like this is a pretty major mix up.

And John, great point on MDF instead of solid wood. That is huge. I know that the MDF allows them to sell them much cheaper, but the sound would be greatly affected.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU222
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright)
Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlingt.Labs MP8b
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10 OR Betsy 8"/W-15 in Open Baffles
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print