07/21/24 at 21:28:42 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZROCK2 Went Kaput (Read 44 times)
HiFi Bri

ZROCK2 Went Kaput
Today at 16:47:42

Well, I'm sorry to say my ZROCK2 went kaput last night.

Decware support has been excellent but I think I must have had bad luck with this unit.

When I received it new in December, I noticed the L and R channels were wired in reverse so I had to send it back. A bummer, but no biggie.

When I got it back, I noticed there was an audible buzz that I couldn't diagnose. The buzz was only noticeable when you were within a couple feet from the speaker. Steve couldn't tell if it was anything abnormal or not and suggested I could send it in if I wanted to but I ended up just living with it, as it still brought magic to my system and I didn't want to be without it!

Fast forward a few months to last night and I noticed that my system wasn't sounding great (new turntable, new UFO25) and wondered if a tube was going bad. After some tube swapping (not the issue), things started sounding REALLY bad and I noticed the ZROCK2 chassis was hot to the touch.

A sniff test confirmed a burning smell. Damn.

I've only run the ZROCK with the stock fuse, stock tubes, etc. Nothing weird. I'm wondering/hoping that whatever happened may have been connected to that pesky buzz I couldn't diagnose.

The unit is now packaged up and soon to be on its way back to Decware again. I have no doubt that they'll figure it out and take care of me. As frustrating as it is to have issues like this, it's comforting to be able to rely on the quality of support that Decware offers. One of the reasons I've invested a lot of money into their gear.  :)

I'm wondering if anyone else has ever experienced something similar?

Rega P10 | Aphelion 2 |Darlington Labs MP-7 + SU-7 | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | SE84UFO25 w/ Attenuators | Decware I/Cs and Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Swiss Digital Fuse Box |Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ZROCK2 Went Kaput
Reply #1 - Today at 17:49:50

Sorry to hear that! I have owned four different ZROCK2 (have three in use right now, and a ZROCK3 on order) and haven't encountered any similar problems. Sorry that you'll lose a few weeks of listening--I agree it's hard to part with one for repair!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mrchipster
Verified Member

Re: ZROCK2 Went Kaput
Reply #2 - Today at 18:52:07

I have not had the failure you described, but I have had to send my Zrock2 back to address an issue I was having. You'll find great customer service and quick turnaround.

I too had an issue with my output RCA's. The sound would drop out on one or both channels if the IC's were handled from the back. I could get the sound to be stable if I got the IC's just right and didn't touch them. I also had a buzz and assumed that might be related to the output RCA issue.

After talking to Steve, I sent the unit in for repair and received it back within a couple of weeks. Very quick in my opinion.

The RCA issue was perfectly resolved but the buzz remained. Obviously wasn't related but I found if I got the gain correct across the chain, the buzz is minimized and can only be heard if close to the speaker or at the listening seat if the gain across the chain is pretty high (chain = 4v out of streamer/DAC - ZBIT- Zrock2 - CSP3 w/25 mods - UFO25)
With the right gain I get great sound with no audible buzz as long as I'm not trying to get very loud.

For me, trying the Zrock2 between the CSP3 and UFO25 didn't work out since there was significant audible buzz no matter how the gain was adjusted between the components. The buzz was there and very audible no matter what. Having the Zrock2 between the ZBIT and CSP3 works great and so there it stays.

I'm hoping to address the power part of the equation (conditioners, etc,etc) in the near future and maybe that will help with the buzz but not sure.

Hopefully it is an easy fix and you'll be back to enjoying music soon.

Good luck!

SE84UFO25 - CSP3 (A-mods)
ZROCK2 (A-mods) - ZBIT
Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (ModWright)
Cambridge Audio CXC
Zu Audio Soul Supremes
VIABLUE IC's & Spkr cables ; DSR3 IC's
Audio-Technica TT
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print