Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/27/24 at 14:26:27 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First Decware Amp! A Few questions. (Read 101 times)
abhishek
Verified Member

First Decware Amp! A Few questions.
Yesterday at 08:21:26

Fellow Decware friends. I am a new entrant into this esteemed group, as a recipient of my first Decware amp; the ufo2.1, through Steve's latest auction. My excitement is beyond words, as this exact amp was that which I listened to when visiting Steve and Decware back in April, just prior to Axpona. Hands down, Steve's listening room was far superior to that of any Axpona room, and since then, I've been counting down the days of slow movement across the pages on the waitlist. I am still a few years out, however I am fortunate to have won the auction for the first tube amp I've ever listened to. Thank you Steve for your priceless contributions to this hobby.

To this community, I have a few simple questions; pardon my ignorance.

1. What are the 4 switches in front of the Input RCAs in my image? Since this is a custom piece, it looks different from the standard UFO2.1. I am pretty sure one set is the input selector but curious about the other. I wish I could share pics but I haven't reached my post count yet.

2. I currently have my Eversolo Dmp-A6 ME connected directly to the amp via RCA. Should I set my volume on the streamer to pass through to control the volume solely with the Amp?

3. How would I hook up a Rel subwoofer that uses a high level connection? Just plug in the spades to the binding posts?

4. The Klipsch 600M2 temporary as I wait for Omegas, however I was curious about the bass response. The bass seems quite distorted when I turn the volume know beyond 66% or so. Is that normal? I imagine this is more a limitation of the speakers, or does it get better with time, or a sub?

5. Any other word of advice you'd have for a first-timer? A ZRock? Other components to think about?

Of course I will remain in line for a Tori or ZMA down the line but I am at absolute peace and bliss with this one. Thank you all.

-AB

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: First Decware Amp! A Few questions.
Reply #1 - Yesterday at 19:34:38

Welcome to the club AB!

Let me see if I can help with some of your questions.

Quote:
What are the 4 switches in front of the Input RCAs in my image?...I am pretty sure one set is the input selector but curious about the other.

I'm guessing because I don't know what you're looking at, but hopefully this is an educated guess. One is certainly the input selector, and the one across from it is the bias selector for the input tube. When the amp is on flip it and you will hear a "pop" and the sound will change. The pop is harmless. The other two are the output impedance selector. They should be set the same, and may or may change the sound noticeably. With the bias and impedance there is no "right" answer, use what sounds the best.

Quote:
Should I set my volume on the streamer to pass through to control the volume solely with the Amp?

Again there is no right answer, you should do what works for you. You may find that using the pass through sounds better, but is a trade off on convenience.

Quote:
How would I hook up a Rel subwoofer that uses a high level connection? Just plug in the spades to the binding posts?

I don't subwoofer so I'm less help here, but yes start with just plug into the binding posts. There may be hum and there are many threads in the fora about how to deal with it, I think it is by jumpering the two black speaker outputs together, but better to find the answer from someone who's done it.

Quote:
I was curious about the bass response. The bass seems quite distorted when I turn the volume know beyond 66% or so. Is that normal? I imagine this is more a limitation of the speakers, or does it get better with time, or a sub?

Could be lots of things. For sure once you have 50 to 100 hours on the amp things will likely sound different/better. You can check the meters (assuming you have them) when the sound is distorted, are needles dancing around? If so the  amp is clipping, i.e. maxed out. Or I guess it could be the speakers, although that seems less likely, you could try the other impedance setting (see 1 above). Certainly a sub would likely improve the situation, but I would reevaluate once you have more time on the amp.

Quote:
Any other word of advice you'd have for a first-timer?

There is an enormous amount of wisdom in these fora, I would suggest spending time reading a lot of posts if you haven't done so already. As for gear, for me personally I couldn't imagine having a system without a tube preamp.

Please keep us updated as your journey progresses.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
STR-1002 -> Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - Yesterday at 21:52:07

Hi Abhishek. Welcome and congrats on your new Decware amp. CAJames gave great advice, but I’ll try to add my 2 cents.

First, I took a look at the photo in the email for the auction and concur. The two in the back are likely the speaker impedance switch’s and should be mirrored. You can adjust while listening to hear which setting you prefer. The front two are likely the source selector and input tube bias switch. This is my speculation. If you still have trouble, I recommend a call to Steve to confirm.

I connect my Eversolo to a Decware preamp, so use the volume pass through and adjust gain/volume between the CSP3 and amp. You can try both ways and play around with the variable output on the streamer to see if you hear a difference adjusting the streamer down and the amp up or vice versa. Turning off the pass though does allow you to control volume remotely.

I have a REL sub connected to my UFO25 using high level connections. I also use Omega speakers (SAM’s). The Omegas go pretty deep in my room, but the sub definitely helps to fill in the bottom down to 30hz and gives some more “atmosphere”. You’ll need to play around with placement and crossover and gain settings on the sub to get it to pair seamlessly. Once you get those magic settings, it truly does enhance the experience greatly. I use banana plugs for the speaker connections and spades to connect the REL to the amp. Red cable to right positive and yellow to left positive. Connect the one black wire to either of the negative posts. The issue you will likely have is loud hum from the sub. The Zen amp outputs are not connected to ground, so to correct the hum issue you will need to use a jumper cable to connect the two negative posts together. This should fix the hum. You may want to revisit the subs crossover/gain settings once you have the Omegas and they have a couple hundred hours of play on them.

I suppose the distortion at 66% volume is clipping. Steve outlines this in the UFO2 manual, indicating that with 2 volts out from the source, which I believe is what the Eversolo outputs using the RCA connections, the amp will clip at 2/3 volume. Earlier than that with more voltage from the source. Checking the meters as James outlined is good advice.

Spend some time to get familiar with your system as it is now and read up on other options for next steps. I agree that a tube preamp would be an excellent next step. I lived without mine for a month in April and realized how much it brings to my own system.
LB

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Omega Super Alnico Monitors>REL T7i
  IP Logged
mrchipster
Verified Member

Reply #3 - Today at 01:08:55

Welcome to the forum and Decware family abhishek,

Great advice and information so far here. I'll just expand on a couple of things.

The Eversolo puts out 2.6 volts through RCA and double that through XLR's. The UFO2.1 only needs 1.5 volts to come to full power. (unless your custom one is different). The bass distortion could easily be coming from clipping the amp. It seems to track with the fact you can only bring the volume control on the UFO2.1 to about 66% before distortion could start. As mentioned, you could engage the volume control on the Eversolo and reduce it down a little and maybe raise the gain on the UFO. Play with reducing one and raising the other and vice versa to see what you prefer. You may find that raising the gain on the UFO and lowering the gain on the Eversolo may be just the ticket.
You could certainly check that the speaker wires aren't reversed at the speaker terminal or that they're not too close to the wall (being rear ported) for causes of distortion, but I doubt that's the case.

I concur that a tube preamp would allow you to really tailor the sound. You could even consider adding a ZBIT to really take advantage of the 5.2v output of the Eversolo's XLR's. The Eversolo, ZBIT, CSP3 (25'th or w/A-mods) and your future Torii/ZMA would be a force to be reckoned with!  

SE84UFO25 - CSP3 (A-mods)
ZROCK2 (A-mods) - ZBIT
Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (ModWright)
Cambridge Audio CXC
Zu Audio Soul Supremes
VIABLUE IC's & Spkr cables ; DSR3 IC's
Audio-Technica TT
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print