Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/14/24 at 21:19:06 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cambridge CXN100 (Pre-amp Mode) >> ZROCK3 (Read 59 times)
ozark1
Verified Member

Cambridge CXN100 (Pre-amp Mode) >> ZROCK3
Today at 00:51:23

A while back I was discussing with Steve my current system and wanting to add a ZROCK3 into it. His suggestion was to replace my Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC and my Khozmo passive pre-amp (attenuator) with a Cambridge CXN V2 streamer/DAC and run that into the ZROCK3 in pre-amp mode. They have a newer version out now, the CXN100 which is what I would be purchasing. My Khozmo pre-amp and the ZROCK3 are electrically incompatible (impedance).

At the time of the conversation I wasn't ready to give up my current system (my laptop into the Schiit Bifrost 2), but have now changed my mind, I like the idea of the Cambridge. Steve's suggestion really simplified things!

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Just to recap, I'll list below my current system and then the future...

Current:

Laptop >> Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC >> Khozmo Passive Pre-Amp >> Schiit Gjallarhorn 10WPC Amp >> KLH 3 Speakers

Future much simplified:

Cambridge CXN100 (used as pre-amp) >> ZROCK3 >> Amp >>Speakers

Thoughts?

IP Logged
mrchipster
Verified Member

Re: Cambridge CXN100 (Pre-amp Mode) >> ZROCK3
Reply #1 - Today at 17:56:53

Your proposed future system makes a lot of sense to me. If you're looking to streamline and minimize your streaming chain, that looks like a great way to go.

If you're satisfied with how your current system/amp drives your speakers, then the added ZROCK3 should give you more density, low end, and even midrange goodness.

I have the CXNv2 (modified by MWI) but the CXN100 should perform very similarly (minus the mods of course). They are very good streamers and have a great DAC implementation. I think you would really like the simplification.

I've connected the CXNv2 directly to the UFO25 and it sounds very good that way. I've also connected the v2 to the ZROCK2 before going to the amp and that gives it a little more solid foundation. I currently have it going to the ZBIT -> ZROCK2 -> CSP3 -> UFO25 and it sounds great, but I also like the simplicity of your proposed new chain.  

Since the CXN100 doesn't have any RCA in's, you wouldn't be able to add a TT or CD player for instance, (digital in for a CD transport would work fine). Since you're using it for streaming, I think this would be a very nice setup.

You can always add a preamp in the future if you find that gain riding, tailoring of the sound, or more inputs are needed.

Good luck with what you decide and enjoy the ride!

SE84UFO25 - CSP3 (A-mods)
ZROCK2 (A-mods) - ZBIT
Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (ModWright)
Cambridge Audio CXC
Zu Audio Soul Supremes
VIABLUE IC's & Spkr cables ; DSR3 IC's
Audio-Technica TT
  IP Logged
ozark1
Verified Member

Re: Cambridge CXN100 (Pre-amp Mode) >> ZROCK3
Reply #2 - Today at 19:10:16

Thanks for the reply. Most of my listening is my personal CD collection that I have ripped to FLAC. It's about 175 GBs and does fit nicely on a Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 GB flash/thumb drive. I may upgrade that to a portable SSD. I also have Qobuz so I'll be good there too. I'll run my TV/4K disc player into the Cambridge with optical, hopefully no lip sync issues.

I look forward to getting the ZROCK3, I'm on the list!

Edit: Cambridge ordered!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print