Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/14/24 at 23:01:11 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thoughts on the SE84UFO vs. the 25th Anniversary (Read 46 times)
Mr. Toy
Verified Member

Thoughts on the SE84UFO vs. the 25th Anniversary
Today at 02:46:13

I'm in the 700th slot on the waitlist for a SE84UFO25 amp, which I'll pair with my Klipsch Forte IVs and mainly stream through a DAC.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can describe the difference they hear between the regular SE84UFO and the more expensive 25th Anniversary model. Can you point to specific songs you've compared them with and your thoughts on the two? It's difficult to find detailed feedback around the 25th Anniversary, and I would greatly appreciate your advice.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Thoughts on the SE84UFO vs. the 25th Anniversary
Reply #1 - Today at 06:15:56

Welcome to the forum!

I can help with this. My Decware journey started in 2020 with a pair of UFOs with the “anniversary mods” which at the time were upgraded signal and power supply bypass caps. And long story short they were so good I got back on the waiting list for a pair of UFO25s that I received last November. I will say without hesitation or qualification I am very happy with the UFO25s and the best way I can describe the difference is to say it is just more of what makes the UFO so good. More transparency, more detail, more dynamics, bigger sound stage. The “sound” of the amp, and the frequency response are pretty similar between the two, but more on that below. FYI/FWIW you can see my system in my sig.

I’m guessing what you’re really after is whether the 25 is worth the money vs the UFO. There are at least a few other posters who have upgraded and I’m pretty sure none of them have regretted it. But I will say this, if money is an issue the UFO with the mods gets you pretty close to the UFO25, esp. if you are not interested in tube rolling. If you plan on exploring tubes, both amps are a playground, but the extra transparency plus VR tubes in the 25 gives you options to tune the sound way beyond what’s possible with the UFO. Of course this can be a double edged sword because it has made me a little crazy at times trying to get everything just right. But, if you see yourself sticking with the Decware tubes, which sound great, you might find the cost difference better spent upgrading e.g. cables or power conditioning or your front end. Of course if you have the budget for a UFO25 then see above for unhesitating, unqualified recommendation.

You asked for songs and I’m not going to do that, because what I said earlier applies to everything to which I listen. I listen to a lot of classical, more orchestras than chamber or solo instrumental. I listen to some jazz, mostly golden age stuff:Stan Getz, Bill Evan’s, Rollins, Miles, those kinds of cats and also big bands. And I mix in a little classic rock as well. My UFOs played it all great. The UFO25s play it even greater.

I hope this helps, I’d be happy to discuss further but I’m heading out of town and off the grid for a couple weeks so if you have questions or comments I’ll respond when I get home.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
STR-1002 -> Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #2 - Today at 15:05:49

I think CAJames' answer to your question provides sound logic for decision-making. I have had both amps; in terms of satisfaction and outright listening pleasure, I prefer the 84UFO25. If one had to consider budget, most of us do, you can be more than happy with the SE84UFO. When you also factor in that in the end, you will have spent three years waiting, and you might not do that again; go for the 84UFO25.

You still have lots of time, and you will probably go back fan more than once. In the end, you might choose another one of the Decware amps. Part of the fun is the research, the planning, and the fantasy. Enjoy the journey.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Sonore opticalRendu | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - Today at 20:38:33

On an earlier forum, someone described the difference between the two and it remained (paraphrased) in my head. It was described as such: With the UFO, every so often you have those WOW moments. With the 25th, those moments happen much more often. It is a simple but apt description.

Having upgraded myself, although I have not listened to the UFO in several years, there is another level of refinement in the sound, perhaps somewhat attributed to the VR tubes in the 25th amp. There is a darker background due to the lowering of noise and that allows greater detail to come through. I've never regretted upgrading to the 25th anniversary and I've yet to reach the bottom of this musical rabbit hole. It is possible it might be the most transparent tube amp out there.

Holo Audio May L2 DAC
Decware SE84UFO25/Fast 15 Network
Caintuck Cherry Magnum/Lii Audio Fast15's
Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables
Verifi SDFB's w/ Graphene Sluggos
Verifi Puron/Snubway
All Cryotone tubes
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print