Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Soundstage Depth (Read 29 times)
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Soundstage Depth
Today at 01:50:57

I was dumbfounded the other day walking into a tiny local shop and listening to a small sound system in their basement. The room was shallow and wide.

The system came nowhere near the dynamics and power I can generate with my setup, but what amazed me completely was the immense depth in soundstage that I had absolutely never heard anywhere near the degree I was hearing.

It made me challenge myself about what was important to me in sound reproduction, and I now long to inherit some of that into my own system.

Here is what I listened to:

Innuos PULSEmini Network Music Player

Bel Canto Design C6i Integrated Amplifier

JL Audio E-Sub e112 Subwoofer

GutWire Synchrony Cube Speaker Cable

Opera Callas Bookshelf Speaker

Vertere Redline USB Digital Cable

It has created new interest and awareness in me about this quite elusive musical characteristic  (Deep believable Soundstage depth)

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Re: Soundstage Depth
Reply #1 - Today at 02:09:30

I had that same experience in a very small room at my local shop (Gig Harbor Audio). I walked in just poking around with no plans to actually buy anything. The room was mostly filled with books. The gear was all tiny, tucked into a very small console on the far wall. The sounds was immense.

And that's the story of how I bought my LS3/As. I just couldn't believe THAT sound was coming from THOSE speakers. Still can't, sometimes.

I don't remember what the rest of the gear was, but that was a life-changing moment for me. So many thousands of dollars ago...

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Space Tech Labs STR 1002; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print