08/16/24 at 23:16:32 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speaker Cables (Read 102 times)
S of T

Speaker Cables
Today at 17:15:55

What are you using? Besides looking at members signatures.

My staple digital cable is Kimber Illuminations D-60 and staple RCA IC Kimber KS1030. Great transparent neutrality with musicality.

I've also owned digital from Snake River Audio Boomslang coax and Cotton Mouth IC. The magnetic High Fidelity digital coax too. Kimber KCAG/now in my other Rig for many years.

Speaker Cables over time:

Kimber 8TC
Kimber KS3033
Kimber KS3035
Zen Styx
Kimber KS6063
Anticables
Fidelium Cables / Silversmith Audio
UP-OCCC DIY
UP-OCCCopper DIY with 6N Silver (see signature - hybrid of Kimber KS6063/KS6065 solid core)

Combination of 24awg solid core and 19awg stranded per Kimber's formula; something more real musically about these gauges. My ZDSD and ZMA get to really show what they can do (D-60, KS1030 & current DIY).

Now, contemplating AUDIENCE FRONT ROW Speaker Cables. I see in the multiple reviews another layer of the onion gone.........especially when I'm a timbral stickler.

SonyTPort
Illuminations D60
ShunyataZ-AlphaDigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
KimberKS1030 IC
XLOProPcord
DecwareZMA/25thMods
DIYKimber6063&6065/SCables
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
KimberPK10Palladian from wall
to PSAudioP3
ZDSD&ZMA HCOut
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Speaker Cables
Reply #1 - Today at 20:39:19

I've been kicking around either getting or making some new speaker cables.

But right now I am using some Mapleshade Clearview Golden Helix. I've had them for years and have no complaint at all about them.

Typical speaker wire "magic" on them, special winding, super thin insulation, special power pulses have been shot through them. Blah, blah, blah. They sounded different than what I was using before, maybe better, maybe.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
S of T

Reply #2 - Today at 20:50:38

Donnie, I love you man. Whatever that spat when you were curator for a spell>? People are nuts, right?

Anyway, Neil Gadar and such/as Neil  .......it's there ...glad I can hear it.

SonyTPort
Illuminations D60
ShunyataZ-AlphaDigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
KimberKS1030 IC
XLOProPcord
DecwareZMA/25thMods
to PSAudioP3
ZDSD&ZMA HCOut
  IP Logged
S of T

Reply #3 - Today at 21:40:53

Okay.  I've had Goertz too ( been so long I forgot). You failed reading my list of past tense. You have no reference to the best in resolution with Decware. It is not cheap.....but my ZMA and subsequent not over Rought...is not either.  

My point being I've gone from the basics you have mentioned to full scale to DIY.....now to reality from the ZMA......back to true hi-end cables.

If you cannot hear it? Enjoy what you do.......you still have Decware as a nucleus.

Stone of Tone

Anyone, want to have a real convo on Hi-End Speaker Cables?

SonyTPort
Illuminations D60
ShunyataZ-AlphaDigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
KimberKS1030 IC
XLOProPcord
DecwareZMA/25thMods
to PSAudioP3
ZDSD&ZMA HCOut
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - Today at 21:54:57

I had tried quite a few well liked value cables. Some that did not stick long were Zu Mission, an early version of Reality cables, some earlier Anti-cables, and a few more I can't recall... And ones that stayed in a while, a DIY design using ethernet wires, Decware Styx, and Morrow's second to the top model. Then I fell into a really nice price on some used Synergistic Research Copper Elements with their special ground tech and sound tuning "bullets." The bullets were pretty powerful, each one giving the wires different feels, from more open and clear to more warm/bassy. They were the most revealing cables I had tried in frequencies and speed, with the cleanest bullets, very good at fine information and space. But not quite right for me, I could not liven up the bass, being a little soft and lean for my setup.

About then, I stumbled into the NOS WE tinned copper wire trend, and liked things I heard with one 16 gauge wire... lively, textured and fun in the mids, while not being so flavored as to sound too fake to me. Trouble was, that little wire could not give me the bass I needed. So I tried two together, and then three. Three 16s brought the bass into the mix pretty well, but 2 and 3 wires together made the mids progressively hard, making the initial mid magic from a single wire too concentrated and dense.

So liking one WE, I took a cue from the SR Elements, and decided to mix wires with the sonic character of each in mind, trying for a really good sonic blend I thought the mix might give. For size, like finding the WE wires too small/lean, I had found big wires like Decware Styx and some others too big, making the mids a little too dense and hard, and the bass too big and dominant. The happy medium here, between the 8 gauge wires and 16, that was quite a spread... I decided to start with 13-12 gauge...1 - WE 16, 1 - "polished" 20 gauge soft annealed pure silver wire in over-sized teflon tube, and I think an 18 gauge (maybe 16?) soft annealed pure copper in oversized teflon, also smoothed and polished with fine steel wool.

As luck would have it, this was quite good here, so I started playing with the number of wire crossings to tighten/clean up the sound by sound....not really twists, as my fav, if I am recalling correctly, had wire crosses something like every 10-12". Once I found the geometry I liked best, I tried some odd wires in teflon tube, and I ended up with a subtle improvement in the finest stuff...I think might be a 28 gauge titanium plated copper wire...

In the system at the time these cables were overall notably better than the SR Research, quite close in fine detail and space revelation, and with good spectral and speed balances from bass to highs. Sorry I am vague about the exact wire and geometry, but from looking at emails, this was about 9 years ago, bringing memory into question, and the orders are so old, the links to exactly what they were are not working...

Interestingly to me... though I have had UPOCC silver and copper wires, and some Duelund interpretations of WE wire for years, these are so good here, I have never felt compelled to take the time to make an upgraded version.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
S of T

Reply #5 - Today at 22:14:08

Thanks for proving my argument Will. Audience Front Row....less silver/ ... .

SonyTPort
Illuminations D60
ShunyataZ-AlphaDigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
KimberKS1030 IC
XLOProPcord
DecwareZMA/25thMods
to PSAudioP3
ZDSD&ZMA HCOut