Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/25/24 at 13:12:00 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cryotone 5ar4 v sizzled out (Read 140 times)
Sean
Seasoned Member

Cryotone 5ar4 v sizzled out
08/23/24 at 03:44:59

It happens, first time losing a rectifier for me. Powered everything up, cooked dinner, spent time with my son and when I took the trash out I saw everything off. SDFB saved the day. Reset everything not knowing what caused the trip and powered up one by one. Got to the UFO25 and a second or so after powering on the rectifier put on a light show and poof everything went off gracefully. Without the SDFB that would have likely been a pricy fuse up in smoke as well.

I put a cheap Raytheon 5U4GB in just to make sure all is well. For a $10 tube it sounds pretty good, very holographic but a bit on the brighter side for me. Looks like I’ll be on the rectifier rolling train or is it the rolling rectifier train? Either way, listening to Billy Strings live vol 1 Rueben’s Train and I’m already forgetting the blown tube.

Technics 1210G, Phasemation PP-500, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, UFO25, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: Cryotone 5ar4 v sizzled out
Reply #1 - 08/23/24 at 03:48:35

Sorry Sean. How old was the rectifier? It was a Cryotone?

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU222
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright)
Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlingt.Labs MP8b
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10 OR Betsy 8"/W-15 in Open Baffles
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/23/24 at 16:42:23

Title should read 5ar4 v2

Not sure how old it was, I bought the full set of Cryotone's with the UFO25. I've been using it daily for about 3 months.

Technics 1210G, Phasemation PP-500, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, UFO25, Tekton Pendragon

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 08/23/24 at 16:50:58

Get in touch with Steve, and/or Wathen Audio.

Sounds like it is new enough, that they should honor replacement.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU222
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright)
Crown XLS-1002 Sub Amp
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlingt.Labs MP8b
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10 OR Betsy 8"/W-15 in Open Baffles
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/23/24 at 18:12:25

I would suggest getting one of these. I'd buy from you if you were not satisfied.

https://sophiaelectric.com/products/new-sophia-electric-aqua-ii-274b-rectifier-t...

You are NOT the only one who this has happened to. Do a search and you will see more than a few with rectifier problems when it comes to the Cryotone rectifiers. They are great at taking care of things but after three in a row for me I came across the Aqua II (after trying every rectifier that would work in my Decware amps) and it is the finest sounding rectifier I have heard in any amp that it is comparable with.

Charlie

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/23/24 at 20:51:22

The Sophia has been on my radar for quite some time. I’ve got plenty of other rectifiers to play around with for now, even a couple I haven’t tried yet.

As the Cryotone came to me used I’m pretty much writing it off as “stuff happens”. I do plan to contact Don, perhaps he has interest in seeing it to help improve them going forward.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Sarah

Reply #6 - Today at 08:13:49

Both of my Cryotone 5AR4 v2 rectifiers arced. Don no longer recommends them for the Sarah 300B amp.  That said, the Cryotone 5U4G has been rock solid. I’m due to receive a replacement 5U4 for my last 5AR4 soon.

You can’t go wrong with the Sophia Aqua 274B (v1 or v2 recommended for Sarah)  Outstanding rectifier—been using for 2 years. As good as the Aqua I was, the II is a step above.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print