Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/27/24 at 00:18:48 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Musical Paradise MP-D2 mk3 DAC (Read 159 times)
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Musical Paradise MP-D2 mk3 DAC
09/10/24 at 23:02:26

I recently purchased a Musical Paradise MP-D2 Mk3 DAC. I’ve had a handful of DACs in my room over the last year at the recommendation of listening buddies- Holo, Schiit, Lampizator, and Denefrips. All brought something to the table but also lost some of the bottom end grip that I love about the CXNV2 streamer direct into my UFO25.

I’d been hearing about this Musical Paradise DAC for some time and took a chance on it based on the ease at which tubes and caps can be interchanged in it.

So this beast arrived a couple weeks ago. I was not prepared for this ~35 pound monster!

I’ve been listening for a week or more now as-is and really loving it. It has the articulation and separation of the Holo DACs, the air of the Denefrips without being harsh, and most importantly the tight, defined bottom end that makes cello and upright sound like it’s in the room with me the way the CXN does. I’ve done a fair amount of room treatment to control bass and I’m very sensitive to room modes and low end sloppiness, to the point that many of the higher end DACs don’t cut it in the bottom end department. There’s a good synergy with the Lii F-15s and this DAC, like my Cambridge streamer. Inside is pretty straightforward.

This DAC came with Mundorf silver copper oil caps in the primary position, stock caps in the secondary, older 6H6 tubes and a GZ32 rectifier.

After getting a good feel for what this DAC offers I decided to start playing. I moved the Mundorf caps over to the secondary position and added Jupiter copper foil wax caps as the primary, also switching in a Premier Audio fuse and a matched quad of Amperex Holland Bugle Boys. The cap change is very easy; there are simple binding posts just like on an amp or speaker. Simple loosen, pull the old cap, replace with new cap, and tighten back down.
Wow! It just keeps getting better, and the caps aren’t even 2 hours old. The vividness and “live” feel is just unreal. Anyone shopping for a new DAC or DAC/streamer, I would highly recommend checking out what Musical Paradise has to offer.

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Re: Musical Paradise MP-D2 mk3 DAC
Reply #1 - 09/19/24 at 23:47:18

The break-in is going very slowly. It sounded amazing right out of the gate and then the ups and downs began. Some days it sounds better than anything I’ve ever heard and some days sounds like absolute dog s**t.
I made a lot of changes adding caps, fuse, and tube all at once. I have a Black Treasure 274b arriving today after reading Lon’s glowing reviews but I’m hesitant to add another piece into the break in puzzle until this thing settles down. I’m maybe 50 hours in. Long way to go.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 09/20/24 at 01:09:01

Hey Gilf.

This is very intriguing. Following your progress closely.

Very interested in a comparison to the Cambridge CXN. Is your CXN modded?

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU222
Cambrge Audio CXN(ModWright)
Crown XLS-1002
SL1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsm Aida MKll cart • Darlingt.Labs MP8b
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond
Lii Audio PT-10 OR F-12 OR Betsy Alnico 8"/ W-15 in Open Baffle
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/20/24 at 01:50:18

Hi Geno. No, my CXN is completely stock. I’ve always loved that streamer but felt like there could be something more. The CXN has such tight and punchy low end that I didn’t get when adding some other DACs. The MP is like the CXN on the lows and low mids but turned up a notch, but then a wider, deeper sound stage and tighter, more focused placement of instruments. The highs aren’t quite as bright as some other DACs but definitely really nice and silky.

I was listening to Iron and Wine’s Walking Far From Home last night and at 3:10 when the low keyboard registers kicked in it was like an ethereal punch to the gut that moved my whole body. Amazing. Though we’ll see where things settle out after three or four hundred hours.

I need to add those rear firing tweeters back in once things settle down. They might be a good fit now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print