Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/18/24 at 16:17:12 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Musical Paradise MP-D2 mk3 DAC (Read 363 times)
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Musical Paradise MP-D2 mk3 DAC
09/10/24 at 23:02:26

I recently purchased a Musical Paradise MP-D2 Mk3 DAC. I’ve had a handful of DACs in my room over the last year at the recommendation of listening buddies- Holo, Schiit, Lampizator, and Denefrips. All brought something to the table but also lost some of the bottom end grip that I love about the CXNV2 streamer direct into my UFO25.

I’d been hearing about this Musical Paradise DAC for some time and took a chance on it based on the ease at which tubes and caps can be interchanged in it.

So this beast arrived a couple weeks ago. I was not prepared for this ~35 pound monster!

I’ve been listening for a week or more now as-is and really loving it. It has the articulation and separation of the Holo DACs, the air of the Denefrips without being harsh, and most importantly the tight, defined bottom end that makes cello and upright sound like it’s in the room with me the way the CXN does. I’ve done a fair amount of room treatment to control bass and I’m very sensitive to room modes and low end sloppiness, to the point that many of the higher end DACs don’t cut it in the bottom end department. There’s a good synergy with the Lii F-15s and this DAC, like my Cambridge streamer. Inside is pretty straightforward.

This DAC came with Mundorf silver copper oil caps in the primary position, stock caps in the secondary, older 6H6 tubes and a GZ32 rectifier.

After getting a good feel for what this DAC offers I decided to start playing. I moved the Mundorf caps over to the secondary position and added Jupiter copper foil wax caps as the primary, also switching in a Premier Audio fuse and a matched quad of Amperex Holland Bugle Boys. The cap change is very easy; there are simple binding posts just like on an amp or speaker. Simple loosen, pull the old cap, replace with new cap, and tighten back down.
Wow! It just keeps getting better, and the caps aren’t even 2 hours old. The vividness and “live” feel is just unreal. Anyone shopping for a new DAC or DAC/streamer, I would highly recommend checking out what Musical Paradise has to offer.

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Re: Musical Paradise MP-D2 mk3 DAC
Reply #1 - 09/19/24 at 23:47:18

The break-in is going very slowly. It sounded amazing right out of the gate and then the ups and downs began. Some days it sounds better than anything I’ve ever heard and some days sounds like absolute dog s**t.
I made a lot of changes adding caps, fuse, and tube all at once. I have a Black Treasure 274b arriving today after reading Lon’s glowing reviews but I’m hesitant to add another piece into the break in puzzle until this thing settles down. I’m maybe 50 hours in. Long way to go.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 09/20/24 at 01:09:01

Hey Gilf.

This is very intriguing. Following your progress closely.

Very interested in a comparison to the Cambridge CXN. Is your CXN modded?

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU222
Cambrge Audio CXN(ModWright)
Crown XLS-1002
SL1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsm Aida MKll cart • Darlingt.Labs MP8b
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond
Lii Audio PT-10 OR F-12 OR Betsy Alnico 8"/ W-15 in Open Baffle
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/20/24 at 01:50:18

Hi Geno. No, my CXN is completely stock. I’ve always loved that streamer but felt like there could be something more. The CXN has such tight and punchy low end that I didn’t get when adding some other DACs. The MP is like the CXN on the lows and low mids but turned up a notch, but then a wider, deeper sound stage and tighter, more focused placement of instruments. The highs aren’t quite as bright as some other DACs but definitely really nice and silky.

I was listening to Iron and Wine’s Walking Far From Home last night and at 3:10 when the low keyboard registers kicked in it was like an ethereal punch to the gut that moved my whole body. Amazing. Though we’ll see where things settle out after three or four hundred hours.

I need to add those rear firing tweeters back in once things settle down. They might be a good fit now.

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/12/24 at 13:23:08

I’m not doing a great job at tracking time on the Jupitor caps. I start listening and time escapes me. I’ll loosely estimate that they have 100 hours on them now and from what I’ve read it’s closer to 400 when they finally settle down. I will say they are much more consistent the last few listening sessions I have had than they were initially.

Earlier this week they became very liquid. That’s the best way I can describe the sound. Sonically just very smooth and saturated in a way that is extremely pleasant to listen to and makes me want to listen more.

Also, shortly after my initial post I realized the error in my ways and I removed the holland amperex quartet- no need to put unnecessary time on these tubes while the caps are breaking in. From time to time I swap them back in and they are lovely, but day to day the 6h6 from northern electric are the workhorses. These tubes are quite satisfying for daily listening but just miss that extra magic the amperex have. I’m also looking forward to using the flexibility this DAC offers and try the 12v filament types - 12au7 and 12bh7. All in due time.

Whenever I make a change I bypass the DAC and listen to the streamer straight for about an hour while the DAC warms up and give myself a baseline again for what I used to love versus what the DAC adds. One of the things that strikes me is that previously when my system was in peak performance great recordings sounded AMAZING and poor recordings - well I attributed the transparency of my system to the way that poor recordings became unlistenable. For this reason many old favorite albums fell out of my listening sessions and the type of music that I listen to also changed. First and foremost I always return to the core principle of this ridiculous audio addiction that I have is that I really love music. The magic that this DAC gives is that it is allowing me to listen to “lesser than ideal” recordings again in a way that puts me in the room with the recording session and able to appreciate that music again without getting hung up on what isn’t there. And that, after all, is how I got here.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #5 - 10/13/24 at 18:22:05

Quote:
Posted by: Gilf      Posted on: Yesterday at 05:23:08

...One of the things that strikes me is that previously when my system was in peak performance great recordings sounded AMAZING and poor recordings - well I attributed the transparency of my system to the way that poor recordings became unlistenable. For this reason many old favorite albums fell out of my listening sessions and the type of music that I listen to also changed. First and foremost I always return to the core principle of this ridiculous audio addiction that I have is that I really love music. The magic that this DAC gives is that it is allowing me to listen to “lesser than ideal” recordings again in a way that puts me in the room with the recording session and able to appreciate that music again without getting hung up on what isn’t there...

Yes! I had exactly the same experience when I upgraded my digital. Some of my favorite recordings are air-checks (not even studio recordings) from the 30s, 40s and early 50s, and they sounded pretty ruff on what was a pretty high end CD/SACD player. But with better digital I feel like I'm getting more music and less other stuff and the old recordings are back in heavy rotation.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
STR-1002 -> Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/16/24 at 01:45:16

I had a friend’s Terminator for a short time and that was pretty good. I prefer my MP for my musical tastes and hunger for tinkering with tubes and circuits.

I know you listen to a lot of Classical, CA, and that is a style that challenges my 2 watt amp and open baffles, though I do enjoy it. Most of my comparisons with this DAC and others I’ve had in my room are based more on 2, 3, and four piece groups. Orchestral music can be a huge challenge to sound good live, and recording adds a while other dimension of complexity!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - Yesterday at 20:29:09

Exciting Gilf. Thanks for your thoughts and comparisons.

I have been pretty lucky landing on some pretty real sounding DACs that play well across recordings once tuned to the system/room. Especially with a nice range of very transparent gain/sound balancing stages before (all heavily modified for spacious and musical speed and transparency), and tuning them together, they are really useful to help pull in the beauty from the room and to help solve individual recordings imbalances. So I have not played the field much.

But if the DAC is not really nicely tuned itself, good pre stages are not enough for me. I had a Decware ZDSD DAC here for a while and could get pleasing sound on many recordings, but just could not make it work across recordings. I felt sure in the end this was the base circuit design and parts choices, and that it was not solvable for me, so it went back. But I also had a Tranquility DAC as reference then, originally tuned with parts blind tested and in various good systems, and it was really good in most ways, including playing well across recordings here, especially for the money.

It needed a really good clean stream though, but with that the Tranquility was sort of revelatory for me, a design objective to match high quality "analog," its carefully arrived at parts synergy made it pretty easy to tune toward bringing out the very finest detail in space information, and with balances that support most recordings sounding realer. It did take a little work to get the bass fast enough for me, but it was possible, especially with the icing of some careful and narrow EQ pulls in my player software, cleaning up remaining system and room modes enough to sound real.

Then came the Gustard I have used for lots of years now. I did a lot of modification work on it to my tastes, and it came out really good, especially with a Kitsuni Singxer SU-1 converting USB into I2S going into the DAC, and cables and feet arrived at by sound. I think what feeds the digital is super important, cables and power, and my Mini with a super tuned OS was a notably powerful refinement toward smooth resolution that does not mask fine information...resolution and speeds across balances, and the space that allows them. So that is a lot working together toward balances I love in this room. The thought being that, as usual, is all matters, likely especially with the very clean digital formats. And it sounds like your Musical Paradise is really hitting it all for you, especially showing so well after those well loved competitors you tried.

Interesting you got such a nice awakening with the cap shift. Not really surprising I guess, Obligatos good sounding lower cost caps, but not nearly as refined as Jupiter Coppers. And I think you probably did it right, putting the Jupiters in front of the Mundorf Gold/Silver oils? I used Jupiter coppers in my Torii III and IV for coupling caps for quite a while, and interestingly, in my amps, the challenge was a comparatively accented "warmth" and the slightly dark tone contributing to a thickish bass that came along with a seductive smooth resolution everywhere else. Once I finally got into exploring a lot more caps in the amps, experimenting loads with the power supplies as well, I found I could not use the Coppers anymore. Really good sound if that signature is what is needed, but with my "warmish" oriented amps, too much finally for me no matter where I tried them or how I mixed them with other caps. I have not heard the Mundorf Gold/Silver/oils, but they seem to be pretty clean with extra good detail complexity by reputation (I guess too good for some), but it sounds like in the MP design, your change is really bringing out the best of both caps, something I mostly find better here... two caps that synergize so often better than either alone. It sounds like you really hit is first try!

I look forward to further impressions. I like the look of this DAC for nice design, simplicity, and modifiability... and price!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print