Send Topic Print
DIY Digital Coaxial (Read 146 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

DIY Digital Coaxial
09/17/24 at 21:49:40

I’m looking to make a custom Coaxial Digital Cable with utilizing the DH labs wire and connectors.  After doing some digging I have run into somewhat conflicting information.

According to a Moon audio video… They are indicating that the source end  is wired up a little differently than the other end… with the double shielding being being fused together at the other end. That way it makes the cable a directional cable as opposed to a bi directional cable.  All the other research I have done keeps the wiring of each terminated end the same. Can anyone give me clarification on which way is the proper way to wire up and make this cable.

Here is the YouTube video I am talking about.…

https://www.youtube.com/live/l2fQOkNZdgM?si=9QsEq91WXUIFJKR_

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable, White top ZP3, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: DIY Digital Coaxial
Reply #1 - 09/19/24 at 15:38:53

IMO at least theoretically there is an advantage to the directional cable because, in theory, it does a better job of noise rejection. But I think in practice your solder skills are much more important to cable quality than your choice of terminating the shielding.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
STR-1002 -> Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #2 - 09/20/24 at 20:10:14

Makes sense. Besides saving about $100 with making my own cable using the same parts from DH Labs as opposed to buying their pre-made cable… I have no way of knowing the quality of the solder that they are using to make the cable. At least if I use my own material I know that my Cardas Silver solder it’s probably just as good if not better than what they are using. Plus it keeps my soldering skills sharp and I love a good audio project.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable, White top ZP3, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 09/21/24 at 02:33:17

Looking forward to your results. I'm a big fan of DH Labs so if you aren't happy with your cable I'm pretty sure it is your fault . I think I can say that because I'm a software guy and I freely admit my solder skills suck.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
STR-1002 -> Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 09/21/24 at 20:32:53

Quote:
Looking forward to your results. I'm a big fan of DH Labs so if you aren't happy with your cable I'm pretty sure it is your fault . I think I can say that because I'm a software guy and I freely admit my solder skills suck.

Lol…I’m a big fan of DH Labs as well.  I have two 30 ft. runs of their T-14 speaker cable going from my Err’s to my mono’s, and another pair going to my Pinnacle bookshelf’s.  

Going to order the parts today, so I’ll definitely report back a when I begin the build.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print