Send Topic Print
Solid state curious (Read 407 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Solid state curious
09/23/24 at 03:56:30

So Steve is dangling a solid state amp in front of us now. His timing is flawless!

The reason that I even bring this up is because I have been reading up on several "Higher End" integrated SS amps as of late.

Pass Labs Int-60, Luxman L-509Z, Accuphase E4000 are the ones that are getting the most interest out of me currently.

Yes, I currently have a Z-kit 60 that I love and play the hell out of it.
But, there is so much out there that everyone carries on about, I'm curious.

The biggest thing that I am looking for is enough power to power any speakers that I decide to throw in front of them and, excuse me for saying this, a remote control.
I'm getting lazy in my more advanced years!
Yep I'm almost 64 years old and I want the luxury of not needing to get out of my chair and walk across the room to adjust the volume up on songs I like and drop it on songs I don't like as much!

So that is what I'm looking for, does anyone have any sage advice to keep me from jumping to the dark side?

By the way, I'm not considering getting rid of my Torii nor my Z-Kit, I just want something else to contrast with them.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Solid state curious
Reply #1 - 09/23/24 at 10:55:09

Pre-Decware I had both Pass and Luxman amps, and IMO either would be an excellent choice if you’re #SSCurious. But Decware runs up the score on them.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
STR-1002 -> Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/23/24 at 20:38:36

Donnie,

You may want to add ModWright to your list. Dan Wright has experience with tube gear, and he voices his SS amps for a similar sound.

https://www.modwright.com/

Another idea is Van Alstine amps. He also has a tube backgound.

https://avahifi.com/

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
Zu Audio DWX Supreme
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables, Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e, Z
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 09/23/24 at 21:18:18

As a backup I have a DALAudio chip amp that actually sounds very good.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Sarah

Reply #4 - 09/24/24 at 00:17:26

Donnie, I’m curious as well and look forward to listening at the fest.

Have you considered getting a preamp with a remote control?

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 09/24/24 at 01:58:51

Right now I am testing the amplifier with no tubes in the signal path.  The preamp/source is solid state.  This is a worse case scenario where if you can like it, you know it's good.  'Like' is defined by spending an entire evening in discovery mode without fatigue or boredom.  

I am finding that when you pair it with our more efficient single-driver crossoverless stuff it becomes a bit too much of a good thing.  Probably in this scenario a tube preamp would make a massive difference.  When I pair it with hi-fi speakers in the high 80's / low 90's with crossovers it sounds much closer to right.

For me this is easy to understand but harder to explain.  It's a voicing thing inherent in transistors vs. tubes.  What is interesting is that a Decware tube amp will sound fantastic on either type of speaker, and does.

The solid state amp needs the filter of higher moving mass bass drivers combined with crossover losses to get deep into the musical zone.  

This is just an experiment to see how much of the Decware sound is the point-to-point way we build things.  Would a solid state amp designed and built by us sound like it was built by us?  It has no purpose other than that.  It would take us the same amount of time to build something like this without a circuit board as it does our tube amps so there is no point in offering one unless it was outsourced.

As for power, I already know that is not in the cards.  Paralleled devices to increase power and lower impedance will kill it.  The circuit we have is capable of 120 watts, however that doesn't mean it's going to sound the same at high power as it does at low power.  I gradually adjusted this circuit down to 30 watts where it transformed into something pretty damn nice until it clips.

My only real interest in this is to see what can happen with reasonably efficient speakers, because power hungry speakers are filters, and paralleled output devices are like stacking windows without cleaning the glass.  That world is best left those who have already mastered it.  

Steve  :)

WWW   IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/24/24 at 19:13:53

I am curious about the new Vera-Fi Series One A40 Class A Amplifier, but I definitely do not need another amp right now. Still, it sounds like a great design (Hugh Dean-licensed), and the price is reasonable, imo.

https://verafiaudiollc.com/products/series-one-a40-class-a-amplifier

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/Reed 3P arm & Benz Micro Ebony cart; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm & ZYX Ultimate Exceed Airy cart or Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Lightspeed Attenuator; Space Tech Labs STR 1004 & 104; Sorcer X4+; SDFBs; Graphene Sluggos in all
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/25/24 at 02:51:37

Since purchasing one of the last available First Watt J2 amps from Reno HiFi nearly a year and a half ago, my 300B amp has has seen little action.  The J2 sounds so good fronted by a maxed out ZROCK2 and a CSP3-25th that the 300B spends only a few days at a time in the system before the J2 demands to be put back in for months at a time.  In addition to the two Decware pieces playing so well with the J2, the Lii Song Fast 15 drivers also pair up very nicely with the J2.

Because the J2 was so impressive right out of the box the first week I had it, I wrote a quick note to Mark at Reno Hi Fi to let him know how much I liked it.  He then forwarded my note to Nelson Pass, who then sent a short note to me.  In his note, Nelson said that he always smiles when people compare his amps to single ended triode amps.  He went on to explain that the comparison is fitting because the J2 amp is single ended and emphasizes 2nd order harmonics.  It has very little negative feedback, and is laid out with not much in the signal path except the really great sounding SemiSouth Jfets.  

He also said that the J2 is his most popular First Watt amp and due to high demand he broke his own rule of a maximum production run of 100 units, and he continued to build more until his supply of SemiSouth Jfets ran low.  He did keep enough Jfets on the shelf to handle any repair issues that might arise, although I'm still reading claims that no First Watt product has ever been returned for servicing.

I'm probably way off base, but I'm thinking that a full blown Deckert designed solid state amp would sound very much like a First Watt J2.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #8 - 09/25/24 at 03:40:59

Quote:
Posted by: Doug      Posted on: Today at 18:51:37

... Nelson said that he always smiles when people compare his amps to single ended triode amps.  He went on to explain that the comparison is fitting because the J2 amp is single ended and emphasizes 2nd order harmonics.  It has very little negative feedback, and is laid out with not much in the signal path except the really great sounding SemiSouth Jfets...

I've heard Nelson geek out out over FETs the way some of us geek out over heritage NOS tubes. He has/had hundreds, maybe thousands of them and if there is any secret sauce in his designs beyond simple circuits with minimum feed back I think it is his selection of the right parts to maximize his design. Note also that while the First Watt designs are all fascinating they are not amps that will "power any speaker" the OP chooses to throw at them.

I've posted elsewhere that before Decware I had Pass Labs single ended MOSFET monos that were the best solid state amps I'd ever heard, and with a tube preamp I thought they were pretty close to the last word in transparency and tonal liquidity. After 20something years, and trip back to the factory for overhaul, I started to think about replacing them and I strongly considered something from First Watt, but in the end I choose Decware and I'm really really happy.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
STR-1002 -> Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - Yesterday at 02:02:10

I wish I had one of Steve's 300B amps.  Had he been four or five months earlier in announcing his 300B project, I would have been one of the first owners of one. Unfortunately, the 300B itch was more than I could tolerate and I broke down and ordered a Cary 300B integrated, having been without a 300B amp for several years.  It's a very fine amplifier, and one of my all time favorites, but I still wish I had a Decware 300B. I am convinced that a Decware amp would be a perfect fit in my system today. We'll see what the future holds.

Back to the topic of this thread, I've had my First Watt J2 for seventeen months now but never talked about it here. Seeing that this "Solid State Curious" thread popped up, I thought it would be ok to say a little about my experience with it.  To my ears, the J2 is a tremendously musical amp that sounds very much like a well designed SET power amp, and the fact that it is driven so well by the 30-volt-output-capable CSP3 makes me a very happy listener.  

Those that are SS curious, and already own a Decware preamp, can't go too far wrong with a J2.  Prices seem to be fairly steady in the $3,000 range, plus or minus a few hundred dollars, and they do sell quickly.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print