Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/05/24 at 10:12:53 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Buzz + Ground Loop Issue: SOLVED (Read 49 times)
HiFi Bri

Buzz + Ground Loop Issue: SOLVED
Yesterday at 17:47:14

Posting this here just in case others find it helpful.

For several months, I've been struggling with identifying the source of a faint buzz coming from my speaker drivers, even when everything was powered off. I've tried swapping cables, lifting the ground with a cheater plug, and various products like the Snubway, to no avail.

I recently added a pair of Omega Deep Hemp subwoofers to my system which made the buzz even louder and harder to ignore. After combing through various forums for answers, chatting with Louis from Omega, and emailing Steve, I was finally able to identify the issue and eliminate the buzz.

May seem obvious to some, but it was a ground loop causing the buzz.

Here was my fix:

• I connected a wire between the two negative speaker jacks on my UFO amplifier.  Then, I connected one of those to a ground screw on the amplifier chassis.  This reduced the buzz by about 70%.
  • Next I connected a ground wire from the amp plate on my subwoofer to the negative (black) speaker terminal on my loud speakers. I did this for both Left and Right speaker/subs. This reduced the remaining buzz completely.

Now, my system is quiet as a mouse.

Rega P10 | Aphelion 2 |Darlington Labs MP8B + SU-7 | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | SE84UFO25 w/ Attenuators | Decware I/Cs and Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls |Omega Alnico Towers | x2 Omega Deep Hemp Subwoofers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Re: Buzz + Ground Loop Issue: SOLVED
Reply #1 - Yesterday at 20:35:13

Congratulations HiFi Bri!

I'm trying to picture your description. Connecting a wire between the two negative speaker posts, I got that. Then you say "I connected one of those to a screw on the chassis." Do you mean using another wire, you connected one end to a negative speaker post and the other end to the chassis?

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Sonore opticalRendu | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Re: Buzz + Ground Loop Issue: SOLVED
Reply #2 - Yesterday at 21:43:37

Yes. Using another wire, I attached one end to one of the negative speaker posts, and the other end to a screw on the transformer. It's pretty discreet.

Rega P10 | Aphelion 2 |Darlington Labs MP8B + SU-7 | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | SE84UFO25 w/ Attenuators | Decware I/Cs and Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls |Omega Alnico Towers | x2 Omega Deep Hemp Subwoofers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print