Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/28/24 at 10:01:52 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Headwrecker Demo Outdoors ! (Read 473 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Headwrecker Demo Outdoors !
10/09/24 at 20:19:34

I hate the thought of having to take these speakers back inside.  Listening to them outside is really hard to describe except to say it magnifies the musics ability to capture you and hold you in a state of serene amazement.

Headphones are required if you want to hear the low end.

https://youtu.be/0zbilmvy0zM

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Decware 10 inch folded horn demo 1
Reply #1 - 10/09/24 at 21:43:08

And this one - male vocals

https://youtu.be/gx0-IUQrGCY

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Headwrecker Demo Outdoors !
Reply #2 - 10/12/24 at 02:55:27

There is more on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRj2qPuQz6zocI19iUtnU3w/

Those who attended DECFEST were all taken as much as I was so the question becomes how to get closer to that sound in my listening room.

The wavefronts in the low end are so large, 25Hz = 45 feet, and start out from a large area vs. a woofer in a box.  The standing waves are almost insurmountable. Bass traps help but I'm not certain it is even possible with the kind of traps one could drag into an existing room.  Nevertheless, after hearing what these horns can do, and what they should sound like, I realized I was going to have to take the bass seriously and do something extreme.

I placed the speakers as wide as possible in the room and fired them at the opposing corners that as some of you will remember contain my corner horns which are flat down to 25Hz or so.  I designed the entire room for those horns.  So what I did is reverse it and turned the horns into active bass traps by running them out of phase as subs and with the channels reversed relative to the actual speakers.  This basically cancels the bass as it hits the corner of the room so it doesn't fold back into the center and create peaks and holes in the response and different frequencies.  The result is a tremendously obvious tightening up of the bass and the complete elimination of the 8dB peak at 60Hz as well as the 7dB hole at 45Hz and the absence of anything below 35Hz.  Now the base is actually flat down to 25Hz and clean.  It sounds like it did outside.

Besides saving Decfest with a second listening room this must be why the Audio Gods made me drag them out there in the first place.  To actually hear them.  They knew I wouldn't be able to stand it once they were inside so they were kind enough to put this wild idea in my head and allowed it to work on the basically the first try.  Nice.

I'll make some videos of this as well, because the videos never lie.  Then we'll have a comparison.  Anyway, they really love the little forbidden solid state experiment, I keep forgetting I'm listening to it.  Really sounds like the tube amps when you put a tube stage/preamp in front of it.

These speakers sound very similar to my 3-ways aka House Speakers shown sitting directly next to them.  Using the same tweeter but with a cup that drops the usable output down to 500Hz we get around not having a 4 inch midrange because we cross it around 500Hz.  This brings a new level of speed to the midrange and keeps the speed the same all the way up to 20KHz, similar to a single full-range driver except way faster.

Frankly I never thought I would hear these horns drop to 25Hz in the listening room without holes.  It's making my face hurt. : )

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/12/24 at 11:47:57

"Very Interesting" as Artie Johnson said.

You got me thinking of trying that with the idle subs setting in my room. Already tried the shorted voice coil trick on those.

Recalling my last visit the Head Wreckers did not image as well as the HDTs on display in your photo. Has the new placement of the HWs helped or hindered that?

From another famous German soldier(sitcom), "I hear nothing, I see nothing, I know nothing"

Wink

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/13/24 at 04:12:13

I will also be trying this with my currently shorted Klipschorn bass cabs. In a million years this would never have occurred to me as a way to improve in room bass response.  Now I need to figure out how to get a feed to a third amp from my CSP3.  

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/14/24 at 02:31:37

Would this require separate amplification?
I think it needs only a pair of speaker cables from the amp which goes to the speakers being listened to.

Brian

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/14/24 at 03:08:18

In my case, yes, a third amp will be required.  I need to determine the best way to deliver the signal to this amp.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 10/14/24 at 22:03:09

It requires a second amplifier and a subwoofer crossover.

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/15/24 at 03:21:59

Thank you, Steve!   Smiley

Brian

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #9 - 10/25/24 at 02:36:29

I have now re-installed the Lii Song drivers and am having almost equally good results.  Same extension, no holes, slight peak at 60Hz that wasn't there outside.  Using a ZROCK3 for a preamp because the DAC needs one so sound it's best.  This allows me to use the EQ switch and tame the top end which in this case results in a flat response.  This approach is an alternate to using the Gizmo that I think is probably better overall because it kills two birds with one stone.... EQ & Preamp.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print