Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: My End Game Tubes
Reply #1 - 10/23/24 at 09:52:19

Wathen tubes can be good. I use them in my audio/visual system. . . no longer use them in my main, most resolving system. There my end game tubes for signal tubes are Amperex tubes (mostly but other brands too) made in Holland. They are just a tad more refined and resolving with my favorite regulation, rectifier and output tubes.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: My End Game Tubes
Reply #2 - 10/23/24 at 16:36:12

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of Wathen tubes, but the Cryotone bundle for a UFO25 is about 1K$ and I need two of them. I've got really good sounding NOS tubes for a fraction of that, and cryo or not Wathen uses current production tubes, to which I have a bit of an allergy. Lots of posters, up to and including Steve, are all in with Cryotone, and I'm not arguing with any of them, but it isn't for me.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
STR-1002 -> Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print