Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Opinions Welcomed (Read 91 times)
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Opinions Welcomed
10/26/24 at 18:08:23

Hi All, I have decided to take a leap back into vinyl after many, many years streaming only. All my old records are long gone, so it's a complete start from scratch. I have pretty much settled on a Technics SL1300, Ortofon MM Cartridge, with a Teac Phono preamp, I'd love to have a Decware but the wait just won't workout for me, and holding out hope for a used one is a big stretch. I know that Technics wouldn't be the first choice for many, but having retailed the product since back in the 70s and 80s and followed them for years I just plain like 'em and the way they are built. I'm pretty sure that the new SL1300 can hold its own. Does a good Ortofon seem to be a good match for that and my system? I'm located out in very Western NC with no stores closer than many hours towards Atlanta, and honestly feel any input I get from members here is bound to be far more valuable. Anyway, thank you in advance for any thoughts or invite you might want to throw my way.
Regards and Happy Listening!
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Sarah

Re: Opinions Welcomed
Reply #1 - Yesterday at 20:19:09

Scott, this is a timely post as I have also been thinking about getting back in to vinyl and to give it a fair shot compared to my digital setup.  Still at the very early stages of my review and research but I do have some fundamental questions for you and fellow members:

1) Belt Drive or Direct Drive—What are the pros and cons of either philosophy?
2) Low Mass (that Rega espouses) or ‘Built Link a Tank’ philosophy of other manufacturers including Technics.
3) How important is to be able to adjust VTA/Azimuth on the fly? Rega doesn’t think it’s important, while other manufacturers do.  Who is right?
4) MM or MC? In other words, if I am going to invest in my analog chain—does it make sense to forego MM in favor of MC?  Is MC always sonically superior?

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Re: Opinions Welcomed
Reply #2 - Today at 13:51:30

Kamran,
only have time to address one question now, but I'll be back.

https://vtaf.com/vtaf-vertical-tracking-angle-on-the-fly.html#/

This will solve the problem of no VTA on the fly for rega tonearms ( and others ). It is part of my Woody Universal tonearm and works incredibly well.

Cheers,            Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print